1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Denon 500SD All in one Home Cinema

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by Dave Harrison, Sep 28, 2004.

1. Dave Harrison

Dave Harrison

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Allo,

Wonder if anyone can advise / help me. I am looking at the new Denon all in one 500SD. Gets top marks from loads of mags and on-line, plus at £400 its a winner with me! However, all is not sweet as I found the system at Currys and had a play with it. I admit it was hard to hear it properly in the store and the speakers were all on the DVD unit so not set up well. But in all honesty I thought it didnt have very good bass and the I couldn't hear a thing until the volume level was at 50 (bear in mind it only goes to 70), also had to check if the bass was even plugged in, as it was so poor. But yet a system that gets 5 out of 5 in Home Cinema Chocie and 9 out of 10 in What home Cinema, I feel perhaps I am missing something...?

Has anyone got this sytem ? Whaddya think of it ? Any advice much appreciated. I have Sonys first Home Cinema effort the DAVS 300 and I have to say it's pretty good in the bass department. Denon MUST be better ?

Failing this, I am looking at the Denon 770 system as separates, but at £900 its way, way over budget, agian, anyone got one ? I know seprates are the way to go, but in my small hoose I am looking at kit that is pleasing to the eye and looks kool as I will be a piece of furniture in my place.

Just want the Denon 500SD to be good as its within cost (just) and looks great. Dont want boring naff-looking speakers as the wife will kick-off !

Thanks very, very much everyone......

Dave

2. Washo

Washo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have just bought one of these systems and agree they look the biz. Was wondering myself if there was something wrong with it though since I have to have the volume turned up to about 45 - 50 to really hear it, but then the bass etc sounds really good. The real problem I have though is when I turn it up to 45 I can hear a hum from the player/amp that is really annoying, maybe a fan or something? Doesnt happen when I watch TV through it only DVDs. Anyone else found this or should I send it back?

3. Dave Harrison

Dave Harrison

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your reply, I am concerned at the volume level as I know I cannot pump it too high, but when next door goes on holiday I will be blasting it ! So volume is important. Wonder if this is problem that should be addessed by Denon.........

As for the huming, I can only say that I too had a similar issue but it was easy solved by using foam spiders on the base on my unit. Turns out it was vibration. I can post you some spiders if you like (Same sticky ones that you get in the core of a CD)

Thanks agian,

Dave

4. Washo

Washo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cant think that you would need anything above the max volume on this, it is really loud at 70. I only bought this system cause it looked cool and it was top rated in all the magazines. Very pleased with it overall, its just this damn noise I can hear during a quiet moment in a film, sounds like someone beeping a horn in the distance. Will have to check if it is vibration, I never thought of that.

Cheers

5. bobble

bobble

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Hi, if you have not purchased yet have a look at

http://www.unbeatable.co.uk/CatalogueItem_22276.html
    and Denon's website, http://www.web-quality.ch/WQ/DSB_MA...PublisherID=DenonUK&NavigationLevel=0&L2Mnu=0 the AV770 is being discontunued and replaced with the DHT550SD, same speaker package as 770, DVD/Amp seem to offer very similar spec to 770, but in slightly smaller packages and approx £200 cheaper!! :thumbsup:

6. dougbryson

dougbryson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've had the 500SD for a couple of weeks now and have been very impressed with its abilities. I haven't had the volume much above 35! - It's plenty loud enough in my front room at that. We just had Master And Commander on this afternoon and the sub had the floorboards vibrating nicely during the battle scenes.
    The speakers don't give me any problems - no buzzing or hiss in the quiet moments. Might be worth checking your cables if they do. Maplin to some very good little metal brackets if you want to screw them to a wall by the way - only £15.
    Picture quality is excellent via both component and RGB scart. The machine also has the 2mb buffer that most Denon players have to make layer changes pretty much imperceptible, something my old Sony machine used to be terrible at.
    I wouldn't hesitate in recommending it.

7. Dave Harrison

Dave Harrison

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks so much for your reply Doug. Thats it I am going to buy one !
    Chhers everyone for your assistance, nice to know you can get help from like minded folk !

Cheers

Dave

8. nathanhill69

nathanhill69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Very pleased with the Denon, although the hum from the main units drive is a little dis-concerting during quiet moments. The hum seems to come from the disc drive, if you pause the DVD it stops. Can other owners of the 500 SD confirm that this is what they can hear.

Volume wise, I know what you mean, I Crank it up to around 55 - 60 but then our living room is pretty large and then that's plenty loud enough. One thing I read and would agree with is to trim the crossover of the sub-woofer by -6db (120 instead of 150) in the set-up.

All-in-all you can't go wrong and I also personally asked a journo friend on What Hi-Fi & Video and they said it was the only All-in-one system they would buy.

Check out the Pete Tyson web-site for competitively priced Multi Region Denon, excellent Terms & Conditions.

Nathan

9. Washo

Washo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Glad to know someone else gets the hum from their system, thought it was only mine. I have found that there is a fan on the back which kicks in at about 45 volume only when watching DVDs, and stops once you go below that level. Hence the humming. What I find strange is that some DVDs are really loud at about 40 volume ( Star Wars ) and yet others I need to crank up to 55 volume ( Open Range ). Probably wouldnt hear the hum if the system was inside a closed cabinet but mine isnt. Might stick some cellotape over it to quieten it down.

10. nathanhill69

nathanhill69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    "Maplin to some very good little metal brackets if you want to screw them to a wall by the way - only £15."

Hi Doug

Can you specify which brackets you got for the Denon speakers from Maplins (maybe the web link or something). They don't have that many in stock at my local store and I want to ensure I get the correct ones.

Cheers

Nathan

11. Steve Hanstock

Steve Hanstock

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Reading the message thread convinced me I made the right decision to go for the Denon.....now; speaker stands....anyone know if the speakers can be mounted on Alphason stands?

12. nathanhill69

nathanhill69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Yep, the Denon I reckon is a good choice. The "hum" I described is the fan at the back which does kick in at volume settings above 45 - I suppose you've got to keep the thing cool.

I've been looking for speaker stands/brackets but you'll find that because the speaker mounting holes are on the base of the speaker that lots of the stands are designed for speakers with mounting fixtures on the rear - the Denon ones (found on their web-site) do apparently fit.

By the way, thanks Doug for the brackets link at Maplins, unfortunately the girlfriend has vetoed them as she reckons the plates you attach to the wall are to big (she has just re-decorated and convincing her a surround system would look fine was a bit of a struggle). If anyone has any advice on discreet surround speaker brackets that will fit the Denon please leave a link in this thread.

As I said, Pter Tysons site is worth checking out - and it's multi-region.

Nathan

13. Washo

Washo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  14. telcom1

telcom1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  15. nathanhill69

nathanhill69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Thanks for that link for the brackets, went straight out and got some and they are exactly what I needed - girl friend also happy as they're very un-obtrusive.

Cheers

Nathan

16. Steve Hanstock

Steve Hanstock

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the link to the Denon stands but have been looking at Alphason's AD100 (http://www.hifi4less.com/Alphason_AD100_s.htm). The Denon ones have a metal base whereas these are glass and look pretty good...I have the same trouble as Nathan except with me its the wife that needs it look good as well as sounds good.

Steve.

17. Slinkoff

Slinkoff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    the speakers on this system look great tucked away next to the books on my bookcases and poking out behing the vases/lamps on the side tables around my furniture, a well hidden system that delivers an amazing sound. Am very happy with it, I too have to listen with volume between 40-60 but I don't see that as being a problem, have not heard the humming/buzzing though, perhaps because the unit is in a wooden cabinet enclosed round the sides but open at front and back. I would definitely recommend this system to anyone.

18. nathanhill69

nathanhill69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Couldn'tagree more,the system is much better looking than most of it's peers and sounds good to boot. I don't consider it a problem running it between 40-60 but it still sort of bugs me the hum of the rear fan.

Slinkoff, could you do me a favour and play a DVD at under 45 - there should be no fan hum, then play it at 45+, this is when the fan kicks in and see if when you're close enough wether you can distinctly hear it. This only applies when playing a DVD, if you pause it the rear fan stops. I wonder if having the stand enclosed on the sides makes a difference? Would be interested to hear your comments.

Nathan

19. Washo

Washo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Don't understand why this fan only kicks in when playing DVDs and not watching TV. The thing gets damn hot either way, but the hum drives me up the wall. I have now stuck some cellotape over mine, probably not a good idea but quietens it down and don't really understand why a fan is required at say 50 volume but not 40, as there is not much difference between the two settings.

20. nathanhill69

nathanhill69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Well, I suppose they've set a pre-determined value in the firmware for the fan to kick in but agree with you - it does sort of drive you mad. You'd think they'd build in a thermostat to control the fan?

I'm trying not to obsess about it but you do find yourself wondering wether you've got a particularly loud fan compared to others. I really like this system and it's quality of sound but find myself thinking what's the point when I hear the fans "hum" during a quiet moment during a film.

Any other owners got any coments regarding this?

21. dougbryson

dougbryson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've not found the fan to be a problem, although I rarely have the system up over about 40-45 due to my living room being pretty small. I did just try cranking it up to 55 to get the fan to kick in and have to say it didn't really bother me - I had to listen for it to really notice it. My system is on the bottom of the TV cabinet that's open on all sides with a glass shelf above it, on which sits the VCR and digibox.

I guess it's one of those things that depends on the acoustics of your room and once you've heard it your ears tune into it and can't get rid of it. I'm comparing it to my old Sony DVD player though whose mechanism tended to make a bit of a racket so to me the Denon is quiet as a mouse. No complaints at all.

22. daveb975

daveb975

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    Could anyone let me know if this Denon system has a built in clock/alarm function?

23. Sarah

Sarah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have had the system for just over a week now and have never heard the fan. Overall I am delighted with the system.

It does not have a clock/alarm system (at least I dont think it does :))

24. daveb975

daveb975

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    Thanks. One more question - how does it deal with the layer change? I have just got a Denon 2200, and am delighted by the lack of layer change pause.

Is it the same on the DHT500?

25. Sarah

Sarah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have noticed no pauses during layer changes (unlike my old DVD player) :)

26. daveb975

daveb975

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    Great, thanks for your help.

No it is just a matter of finding somewhere with one of these in stock!

27. nathanhill69

nathanhill69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Could try Peter Tyson - also multi-region enabled and next day delivery.

28. dougbryson

dougbryson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I would agree - try Peter Tyson. I can't fault their customer service, though I've noticed they've put the price up on the system by £20 since I bought it last month!

Also, layer changes are un-noticeable as the the player has the in-built buffer that most other Denon decks have.

29. newcomer

newcomer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    has anyone looked at the Denon DHT550SD DVD Home Cinema System