1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Denon 500 questions

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by Mark R, Mar 29, 2005.

1. Mark R

Mark R

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thinking about getting one of these and would appreciate some help.

Will the supplied remote control my Sky+ and/or my Panny PW5B plasma?

Is the remote a learning remote?

What's the difference between this and the 550? Any real reason to pay an extra £150?

Does the OSD display things on the TV like volume or input changes?

Is it possible to get speaker brackets for rear speakers (or just attach them to the wall?)

Thanks for your help.

2. Conn

Conn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +170
    Basic functions maybe but not the whole lot. It is not learning, it is set by codes.

The 550 has a powered sub, seperate amp, 'better' speaker connections and a few more inputs/ouputs. Is it worth the extra? Up to you, depends what you want to do/how big your room is/how rich you are :)

OSD - not that I ever noticed, you only use the OSD for setting the system up.

You would need brackets, they connection points are on the base rather than the back. There are various threads on here discussing the brackets (and the merits of the 500 over the 550) at length.

3. MichaelCheung

MichaelCheung

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Mark R,
    Just to add what Conn has already said, the OSD does not show up the volume changes or anything. It is purely only used for setting up and tweaking the system setup (eg. speaker distances, sound levels, DVD defaults, etc)
    However, the main unit will display the volume changes and current function (eg. tuner, or DVD)
    Cheers,
    Michael