1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Denon 500 or 550 which shall I buy?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by kieronm, Jun 26, 2005.

Tags:
  1. kieronm

kieronm
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I'm getting ready to buy either the DENON DHT550SD or the 500SD, but I'm trying to work out whether it's really worth the extra money? If somone could help with the following that might help me make my mind up. If I go for the 500 I can buy a wireless mp3 player set up and some speaker stands but if I go for he 550 that's my budget gone.

What are the benefits of a powered bass?
    Does the 6th speaker really add that much?
    Where should the 6th speaker go?
    What's better, speakers on stands at sofa height or mounted speakers on the wall?

I've got young kids so I was going to wire all the speakers up on the wall. As you can see I'm a novice at these things so any help would be great,

Thanks Kieron

2. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +933
    Hi

The main benefit of powered bass is that it relieves your amp of having to power the subwoofer. Bass presents a tricky load so it's preferable to have a sub with it's own built-in amp. The sixth speaker can add a great deal assuming you can position it correctly. Ideally it needs to go behind your listening position and be at least a metre away to have the desired effect. Overhead flyby's will be better, surround pans are improved (they're seamless rather than the sound jumping from one surround speaker to the other). A lot depends on the actual soundmix on the DVD and whether it's been mixed with the surround back channel taken into account (Dolby 5.1EX/DTS ES).

If it were me I'd have the fronts on stands at ear level and the surrounds up on the walls at least 2-3ft above head height.

3. kieronm

kieronm
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I won't be able to have the 6th 1 metre behind but I could put it on the wall above the sofa - is it worth it?

4. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +933
    Having tried it myself, no. You just don't get the sense of depth behind you when the speaker is almost above your head. A decently setup 5.1 system is preferable to a badly setup 6.1/7.1 system I.M.O. It's all down to personal preference though. :)