1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DENON 500 - for dummies

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by kentish man, Feb 2, 2005.

1. kentish man

kentish man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :hiya: excuse my ignorance. I have today set up my Denon 500. ITS THE DADDY I have never owned a hifi before, so am completely in the dark concerning connections, amps etc. Anyhow. I seem to have set it up fine! - Right - the easy stuff has been done. I have connected the Denon via a SCART to the back of my LCD. It works. I can have a rest! But now i wonder what you guys are all talking about, as i'm new to this whole technology, never even had a DVD. So my questions are for any kind soul that could care to answer me: (i have looked all over the site b.t.w)

Assume my TV is brand new & has this: (LG lcd 32"- with 2 scart (AV sockets i think?), + component sockets (red, green & blue), s-video, and "L"+"R" sockets)

To get the best out of the system :

1 - Do i use SCART to connect Dennon to TV or 'component cables' whatever they are:
    http://www.tvcables.co.uk/cgi-bin/tvcables/CP001.html

2 - assuming that i do use component (because its better quality?) - where do i plug sky+ into? - is the back of the TV in spare scart socket or the back of the denon using scart?

3 - is that it or do i have to worry about s-video and the L and R sockets on the back of my TV - i dont know what they are for?

sorry, its all greek to me. I could just stick with the scart as it is i suppose, but want to make sure im not missing anything... thanks so much, pointers to other threads would be welcomed.

2. Conn

Conn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +170
    I sadly lack the LCD and Sky+, but I think this is correct -

1. Connect the Denon via Component, it is the best connection and allows you to take advantage of the Progressive Scan

2. Plug the Sky+ into the AV1 on the TV. Use an optical cable between the Sky+ and Denon to get suround sound from the Sky. I would want to test this to see if there was any advantage - Scart lead from Denon to AV2.

3. No, I don't think you need to worry about them.

Happy to be corrected if I got any of this wrong (need a nice rebate from the tax man to finish off my dream ;) )

3. kentish man

kentish man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you very much Conn, you are a star.

I have bought some wires now and will have a go.
    Just to clarify:

"Use an optical cable between the Sky+ and Denon to get suround sound from the Sky. I would want to test this to see if there was any advantage - Scart lead from Denon to AV2."

is an "optical cable" a scart lead?

much obliged!

I had a windfall on my stocks BPRG - which is why i can afford the LCD this month, i was gambling on that stock, thank christ it paid off! up 20% today. phew. still 40% upside to go at least in next 3 months

4. kentish man

kentish man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ive just plugged in the "component video cables" - the red , blue and green leads from back of TV to the back of the denon, and managed to get good audio and video from a DVD.

But the TV doesnt show- im presuming that the trafic on those cables i just bought are one way? ie intop the TV...?

and that i must use a scart to connect the TV signal to thr denon?

many many thanks

5. wicket

wicket

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    An optical cable is an optical cable not a scart. Have a look in your Argos catalogue to see a picture. You want to connect this to the optical input on the Denon.

I have not been able to get my tv sound through the Denon via the scart cable. However, I connect via the phono outputs (red and white sockets) on the tv to the same coloured phono inputs on the Denon. This supplies the sound from whatever is showing on the tv.

The sound from the tv will not travel back down the component cables as you correctly state.

Glad you are enjoying your new piece of kit. :)

6. kentish man

kentish man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    many thanks wicket, will try and get that optical cable and set that up this weekend.
    Im not sure how i did it, but it may have been the room size function, but boom, it sorts out the sound beautifully. Thrilled with my purchase!

7. Conn

Conn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +170
    The reason for trying the Sky=AV1 & Denon=AV2 is because this is how I have mine connected now and I get the TV signal coming back through (set the Denon to "TV" and it plays whatever the TV is showing).

An optical cable is fiber optic, transers the information directly via light rather than converting it. In a similar way, your component cable sends each colour seperatly, giving a better picture quality.

Glad you like it, I am equally happy with mine...even on a CRT :)

8. jimsan

jimsan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    The reason your Scart isn't supplying sound to the Denon is that it isn't a fully wired Scart. Get a fully wired one and this should work OK.

Kentish Man,
    I have a feeling, and correct me if I'm wrong, that you are perhaps still not getting this component feed thing yet. Your Denon is now connected to your LG via Component lead (the Red/Blue/Green cable). The Denon outputs a signal to the TV through this. This signal is defaulted to a non-progressive output.

When you are watching a DVD do you select the component input on the TV? This'll be Ext3 (AV3) most likely. If this is selected, is the picture displayed? If yes, go to the Denon and press the wee button on the top that says 'Progressive Scan'. What happens? Does the picture disappear?

Answer these questions and we'll move onto the next bit.

Jimmy

9. wicket

wicket

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Thanks, set my mind working. The scart I was using for the dvd player was a fully shielded, fully wired RGB one, paid about £15 for it. I have not tried other scart leads, perhaps there was a problem with the original cable I was using.

I seem to be getting a bit of interference on the back speakers when two people are talking on the screen. The other person's voice comes through as a noise, gives the overall sound stage a bit of a lispy sound when two people are talking. This doesn't happen when watching dvds. I have Sky+ connected optically which I use the majority of the time. I have phono leads from the tv into the Denon to supply sound for the tv/PS2.

I contacted Denon who said analogue was prone to interference and suggested I connected Sky+ optically. I have tried just having Sky+ connected but still get the interference and also tried with just the phono input.

Any ideas? Thanks. :)

10. Pugs1

Pugs1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +111
    kentish man: do you get the amp menu's appear on the TV? I connected mine straight in to the TV with component but it does'nt output the amp menus's. Only way i've got it doing that is connecting sky -> denon -> Plasma. Not sure i should be doing that though. See my thread here

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=184260

11. wicket

wicket

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    I have mine connected via component cables and it still displays the menu.

12. Pugs1

Pugs1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +111
    wicket; This is what i'm after too but as i've said i cant get the amp menu's out via component!!?

13. bazaar

bazaar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi there ,fairly new to this but an setting up my 500 as well. I think you need to connect a yellow video cable to one of the video jacks on the denon when the compoment lead is connected. this should let you see the setup menue so you can change the default setting in DVD to component.Then disconnect the yellow lead , now you should still be able to access the setup menue. Hope it works for you, :smashin: