• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Question Denon 4700 vs Yamaha RX-A6

unknownsith

Established Member
Hi all,
I’m looking at a new AV receiver, I have a Yamaha RX-A1030 at the moment. I’m a little torn between the Denon 4700 or wait and go for the Yamaha RX-A6 when ever it comes out. Just wanted to know peoples thoughts, I realise it’s difficult without the Yamaha actually being released, but there maybe something that sways my decision either way.

Thanks in advance.

dante01

Distinguished Member
They are not comparable models. You'd need to be looking at at least a Yamaha RXA2080 or more so the A3080 in order to get a comparable Yamaha model. The most comparable Denon model to the RXA6A would be the AVRX2700.

If wanting HDMI version 2.1 then you'll have to wait until next year when Yamaha are expected to release their new Aventage models in order to then be able to get a comparable Yamaha model.

unknownsith

Established Member
Ah ok, I thought the upcoming Yamaha RX-a6 was going to be the new 2080 or at least I read this on another forum

RX-A8 = RX-A3080 (11ch)
RX-A6 = RX-A2080 (9ch)
RX-A4 = RX-A1080 (7ch)
RX-A2 = RX-A880 (7ch)

so what would be your thoughts be on the Denon 4700, worth the buy now or wait for a comparable Yamaha?

dante01

Distinguished Member
The model that has just been launched is the RXV6A and not the RXA6. The RXV6A is a 7 channel AV receiver intended as a replacement for the RXV685. The A6 is expected until at least early next year.

I see no reason to buy an AV receiver with HDMI version 2.1? Buy the RXV4500 for less and then use eARC if you want to use a PS5 or XBox X.

In the longer term. I'd see no real reason to dismiss the X4700 and I imagine it will still be good value for money when compared to the Yamaha models. What you will not get is the same build quality or the better audio presentation relative to more musical sources. THe same differences that are apparent between the current models will more than likely still be the case when comparing the new models? Audyssey vs YPAO for example and the additional price you'd be paying for the additional build quality.

I'd actually suggest looking at the Marantz SR7015 if wanting a better sounding vomparable model to the X4700 right now. You will pay a premium for the Marantz though.

Last edited:

rccarguy3

Distinguished Member
Yamaha typically have poor power output, even their flagship is woeful.

Denon and marantz (and pioneer) typically have good power outputs. As did old Harmon/kardon and onkyo avrs

unknownsith

Established Member
Thanks for the replies, my concern now is moving from Yamaha to Denon and getting a different sound from what I’m used to. I’ve had the Yamaha 1030 for a long time and only tend to make upgrades when I need too rather than just upgrading for upgrading sake. I made a massive mistake with the 1030 due to the HDCP limitation, it can process what it needs but can’t display it due to license.

dante01

Distinguished Member
I think the differences in signature sound will be the critical factor. I've owned both Denon and Yamaha receivers, but have a preference for the Yamaha signature sound compared to that associated with Denon AV receivers. While both are competent at what they do, neither sounds the same. This would be especially the case relative to music sources and this is why I previously suggested you also consider a comparable Marantz model as another viable option. THe Marantz models will give you everything you'd get with a Denon model, but with the Marantz tuning and associated signature Marantz sound. Both Marantz and Yamaha fair better than Denon AV receivers when it comes to their portrayal of music sources.

unknownsith

Established Member
I don’t listen to music in my cinema room so not too bothered in that regard. I just know when I stepped up from my old onkyo to the Yamaha I couldn’t believe how much more I preferred the Yamaha. I’m just worried that this could go the other way with the Denon. Tough to get to hear them at the moment as well and even then the listening environment could make a difference in choice. I may wait and see what people make of the Yamaha A6 when ever it gets released.

unknownsith

Established Member
Looking into options a little more, what would be the thoughts over the Yamaha 3080 vs the Denon 4700 for the same price? Not sure if all the new tech is stopping me from a better overall purchase of an older model.

The latest video from AVForums

Spielberg, Shyamalan, Aronofsky, Chazelle, Eddie Murphy and Mel Gibson - all the latest movies
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom