Denon 4700 Single 2.1 Input

IanHoll

Standard Member
Reaction score
Sorry for being a noob but I'm looking to buy a Denon 4700. The reason I'm choosing the 4700 over the 3700 is for the added wattage and Auro 3D support.

My question is given that the 4700 only has a single HDMI 2.1 input does this mean I can only have either BluRay playback @ 4K 120hz or an xBox X Series @ 4K 120hz and not both?

If both devices support 4K @ 120hz will using a non 2.1 input down clock the signal to 60hz?h The TV I have is an LG 65 G1 Evo.

You won't need 2.1 for UHD blu ray playback. Any of the non 2.1 HDMI inputs on the Denon will be fine. All players on today's market will be able to use HDMI 2.0.

No conventional Blu-ray player or UHD disc spinner includes HDMI version 2.1 and nor would they need to. No Blu-ray or UHD film encoded on disc has need for HDMI version 2.1.

The only 4K content utilising a frame rate of more than 60Hz would be PC games or games associated with the next gen HDMI version 2.1 equipped consoles. This is very unlikely to change anytime soon.

If you were to need or want to conect more than just one HDMI version 2.1 source/device to the X4700 then Denon (Sound United) make this:

Last edited:
Ah I see. Thank you for you replies. Just one more thing. The LG G1 Evo has 4 HDMI ports. Can you think of any reason to plug more than one 2.1 lead into the TV? I ask this as I'm routing the cables in the walls so I need to know if I'll ever need more than one HDMI cable if I'm using an AV Receiver.

The only cables I'm planning to run is a single HDMI cable, an ethernet cable, a single satellite cable for FreeSat and a USB extension so I can power a 5 port switch from it.

Personally I would run two hdmi cables just for the sake of redundancy in case one fails or at the very least you can plug something into the TV directly without routing through avr :)

Doesn't the G1 have 4 hdmi 2.1 ports to you could double the number of hdmi 2.1 connections by running another cbale back from the TV. E.g. one through avr and one through TV.

What are you planning to plug into the 5 port switch as most TV usb ports only supply 1A and some are only 0.5A

Last edited:
I'm hoping to plug the television, the AV receiver, a 4K media player and an xBox-X Series into the switch. I've gone to the trouble of routing a Cat8 cable from the lounge into the study where my router is so I can connect everything up via ethernet appose to wifi.

The switch requires a 5v 1amp power source so I may struggle with a USB 2.0 port by the sounds of it as I'm sure USB 2.0 only delivers 0.5 amps

I'm hoping to plug the television, the AV receiver, a 4K media player and an xBox-X Series into the switch. I've gone to the trouble of routing a Cat8 cable from the lounge into the study where my router is so I can connect everything up via ethernet appose to wifi.

The switch requires a 5v 1amp power source so I may struggle with a USB 2.0 port by the sounds of it as I'm sure USB 2.0 only delivers 0.5 amps

That tends to be these case on laptops but quite a few desktop PCs deliver more so you can power external HDD without having resort to using (usually supplied with these higher power HDDs) a two into one usb adaptor to get the power from two usb ports to the drive

I would check your TV. On mine it has 3 usb 2.0 ports but one is labelled HDD 5V 1A and the other 2 say 5V 0.5A

The 3 USB ports on the G1 don't seem to have any labels on them and I cannot find any other information other than they're USB 2.0

I'm looking at getting a Zappitti Reference which has a USB 3.0 at the rear so that may be good enough. It's all about trying to keep things tidy, rather than having wall socket power supplies mounted on my 3 tier floating shelf unit

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom