Denon 4700 gone bang !

unknownsith

Hi all,
My Denon 4700 went with a bang last week! There is no power to the unit at all, checked the fuse in the plug and tried a different power cable with no joy.

I had been away for a few days and turned all my equipment off at the plugs. Flicked the switches back on to 11 other things with no issues, flicked the switch to the 4700 and there was a bang. No smoke, smells or heat but the sound definitely came from the unit.

It’s now been sent off to Denon for repair via richer sounds. I’ve only had it 4 months and richer sounds have no more in stock.

Does anyone have any experience of this kind of issue? Time for repair? What are my rights as far as a replacement/refund is concerned?

gibbsy

You have to allow the dealer to send it off for repairs because it has gone over a statutory 30 days period. It's then up to the dealer as to what they do. Richer Sounds have a very good track record of doing the right thing. Your problem arises because of the lack of availability of a replacement 4700. To be honest it couldn't have happened at a worse time.

I would have a conversation with RS as to what is going to happen. Maybe as simple as a blown interior fuse and legally you have to give them to time to look and repair or do otherwise. It is really up to RS as to how they want to proceed.

unknownsith

Well it has gone for repair or a check as to whether it’s worth repairing. Just trying to look at all eventualities so I’m prepared. I’m back to using my yamaha 1030 so it’s not all a disaster.

gibbsy

Always worth keeping a standby in the wardrobe. Got mine, a Denon and have never needed to use it in six years. You've just been unlucky.

unknownsith

Richer sounds have just replied that I should arrive at Denon today and they will update me with any news. Only part that’s frustrating is they have also said it can be up to 4 weeks for any repairs.

wiz

Distinguished Member
What's that virtue again?😁😁😂

unknownsith

Not sure what that means?

wiz

Distinguished Member
Patience

unknownsith

Yeah, I lost that patience about 5 minutes into checking another cable :mad:.

Can’t be helped and I appreciate that not everything is made perfect. I’m just glad I kept my Yamaha 1030 and didn’t listen to the wife to sell it on.

so no patience and I don’t listen :rotfl:

Dobbyisfree

Always worth keeping a standby in the wardrobe. Got mine, a Denon and have never needed to use it in six years. You've just been unlucky.

I was convinced that it was 5od's Law... if you have a back-up then your AVR never fails.

But theory now proven wrong by the Sith :)

unknownsith

For anyone thats interested, i got my denon 4700 back today, so just over a week for the repair.
The four replacement parts where all fuse related and the repairs where done by a company called 'Sontech'. I have done a factory reset as i couldnt be bothered to check if any settings had changed, ive not had time to fully test anything yet, but ive checked i get sound and a picture from all sources.

One very useful thing was having the Audyssey MultEQ app, as it ment i didnt have to go through the speaker calibration again and just downloaded my set up straight to the amp.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Sky Glass, Epson Laser Projectors plus Home Cinema Subwoofers and More…
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom