Denon 4311 vs Onkyo 5009?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by barnsleyben, Jan 7, 2012.

Tags:
  1. barnsleyben

barnsleyben

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    Hi All,

Any advice on which way to jump on one of these?

Been looking for a while now at which 3D high end amp to get and am still coming up blank. I thought these two would be decent options. The 5009 is available for 1949, but i could pick up a 4311 for about a grand 2nd hand.

My speakers are quite "bright" im lead to believe (monitor audio GS series) and I currently have a onkyo 875 which is pretty decent but I've never been truly happy with my setup.... it may just be the room is an odd shape and quite large but I've never been smart enough to set it up right...

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance

Ben

2. eaglemmoomin

eaglemmoomin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +226
    I'd be inclined to go for the Denon. BUT I've never heard Monitor Audio Golds with Denon. I have heard an MA RS set up paired with an Onkyo AVR though and it set my teeth on edge after a few hours. So I'd be inclined to go for a different combo.

3. barnsleyben

barnsleyben

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31

Too bright?

4. eaglemmoomin

eaglemmoomin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +226
    The Onyko MA combo is too treble orientated for me and I find it fatiguing. But if you've never set your system up properly then you could in fact be chucking money away for no reason and you just need to ask some questions on here and most importantly of all read/watch the system setup FAQs on the forum paying special attention to your room and how it might be effecting things.

The interaction between your speakers and the room they are in can have all sorts of negative impacts on what you are hearing.

5. barnsleyben

barnsleyben

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    Sounds like a minefield.....

Is there anyone who offers the sort of service to come and set it up properly for you?? (without it costing an arm n a leg in central london! :p)

6. eaglemmoomin

eaglemmoomin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +226
    It's more fun if you learn how to do it your self and far less costly too.

Find the nearest reputable dealer and get a quote then go from there if you're chicken:rotfl: Just be careful not to end up throwing money at it.

It's not really that complicated if you take a bit of time and there's lots of people on here that can help if you provide them with enough information and you'll be wiser for it too in the end.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2012
  7. barnsleyben

barnsleyben

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31

I've tried all this to no avail :/

Is it something a AVF member would be up for dya reckon? There isnt really a section in the classified forums for this unless I'm mistaken?

8. gangzoom

gangzoom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,000
    I recently upgraded from a 1909 to a 4311 mainly because the 1909 were struggling to drive some M&S speaker I picked (4 ohms). Unsurprisingly the 4311 sounds leagues better than the 1909, in stereo mode the clarity of the vocals is simply fantastic. I was pleasantly surprised to find the the 4311 has the a options to drive 4 ohm speakers in the "speaker setup" menu even though on the Denon website it makes no mentions of this :)

Also loving the Airplay and network features. I've now so got use to pressing play on my iPhone and having the music just play without having to bother with wire/hubs etc I don't know how I ever managed without it!!

I picked mine up for £1K and think its a steal at that price...given its got HDMI 2 outputs 6 in all 1.4a compatible, 7 analogue inputs, 9 channel output with plenty of power to drive almost anything, pre-outs, plenty of networking capabilities, really cannot see any reason to upgrade for long while :D.

9. TheBlueFalcon

TheBlueFalcon
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +600
    The 4311 is obviously better value for money, but don't write off the 5009. The newer Onkyo's are much smoother than they used to be - since the 07 series. There is a big difference between a 906 and 3008 for example. The 906 sounded bright, edgy and hollow to me, but the 3008 was (thankfully) a huge improvement. My vote would be for the Onkyo, but that is my preference.

10. barnsleyben

barnsleyben

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    The other option is to go for a power amp and processor, the new Onkyo set can be had for £3500 (PR-SC5509 AV Receiver and the Onkyo PA-MC5500 Power Amp).

Seems like a lot of brass to spend and I'm not sure if its worth the extra bucks as I've never listen to a combo solution before... is it really worth the extra dough or is it only a minor upgrade in quality??? Gah such a minefield! :p

11. TheBlueFalcon

TheBlueFalcon
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +600
    After just a few weeks with the 3008, I knew I wanted the 5508 and a Power Amp. I now have a 5509 and an Emotiva UPA-7 and extremely happy with the performance.

The 5509/5500 doesn't really offer much of an improvement over the 5009 for most people. If you want to take advantage of the benefits of a PrePro and Power Amp, I'd recommend a different Power Amp.

12. gangzoom

gangzoom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,000
    £3.5K!! I would love to have that kind of money to spend on an Amp/Receiver, if you can afford it why not :laugh:

13. barnsleyben

barnsleyben

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    The why not would be because it wouldn't be worth spending that much :p

I have the budget for it but dont want to spend it if its a lot of extra dish for not much of a difference in performance ;-)

14. TheBlueFalcon

TheBlueFalcon
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +600
    I always recommend to get the best speakers and sub(s) possible. Once you have those, they will last for many years to come.

Electronics however, will be changed more frequently. So once you have your ideal speakers, the next thing to do is put them on the end of suitable amplification. This is where a Pre-Pro/Power Amp setup has its benefits.

No matter what new processing comes along, you don't have to change your Power Amp, you just replace the Pre-Pro when you feel you need to.

So while it is initially more expensive, it can save money in the long run and you are not restricted by the performance of the internal Amplification of an AVR every time you want to upgrade.

The reason I say that the 5509/5500 isn't much better than the 5009, is because the 5500 uses exactly the same Amp modules as the 5009, but in their own enclosure. The performance difference is minimal, because the specs/capability remain pretty much the same - with just a small improvement for not cramming everything into one box.

But pairing the 5509 with a better Power Amp, opens up the potential for a much bigger and worthwhile improvement.