Denon 4306 - getting it right once and for all

dUnKle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well the other half is off to do the family thing and I have done all the jobs planned for the bank holiday - so I am going to take advantage of the nice weather and stay inside and get all my AV gear set up

Just need some advice before I go and do things

Have a Denon 4306 which has the Kef KHT 3005 speaker package attached

Can I just confirm the following ......

(1) Run auto set-up in as many positions as I can (this should be 6)
(2) Change the speakers back to small (Denon ALWAYS detects as Large)
(3) Change the bass roll-off from Advanced to 80Hz
(4) Change basas output to LFE+Mains as apposed to just LFE

Should this then pretty much guarantee me the best for my room when running in Audyssey mode ?

Are there any other hints or tips I should be aware of ?

What is the differerence between LFE+MAIN and LFE ?

And lastly what are the EXT IN (subwoofer volume adjusment) and INPUT FUNCTION LEVEL menus for ?

Yes I know I should read the manual but it seems to have been misplaced in the house move

Sorry for all the questions and thanks in advance for any help

Hi

If you have all speakers set to small then the SW setting should be set to LFE only.

You can then go into the 2ch Direct/Stereo setup and change the speakers to Large, SW to LFE+MAIN if you want the sub active in the Direct/Pure Direct modes (as there's a bug in the later Denon's where the sub should be active with speakers set to small for these modes, but it isn't).

LFE+MAIN vs LFE. All bass is routed to the sub in LFE mode i.e all bass from the LFE channel of 5.1 films as well as all bass below the chosen crossover point of any speaker set to Small. For LFE+MAIN the bass is split between the sub and any speaker set to Large down to the crossover point selected. From the crossover point downwards only the sub receives the bass.

The EXT In subwoofer setting refers to the SW Input of the 7.1 EXT Input's. You can boost the incoming level by up to +15db if you wish. Useful for some players etc when you're playing DVD audio/SACD discs or using the analog outputs of HD-DVD players that have screwy LFE output.

The Input Function Levels are so you can apply a boost or cut to that particular Input if you have different overall volume levels for each one. e.g Satellite TV might be louder than a TV input etc etc.

Hi

If you have all speakers set to small then the SW setting should be set to LFE only.

You can then go into the 2ch Direct/Stereo setup and change the speakers to Large, SW to LFE+MAIN if you want the sub active in the Direct/Pure Direct modes (as there's a bug in the later Denon's where the sub should be active with speakers set to small for these modes, but it isn't).

LFE+MAIN vs LFE. All bass is routed to the sub in LFE mode i.e all bass from the LFE channel of 5.1 films as well as all bass below the chosen crossover point. For LFE+MAIN the bass is split between the sub and any speaker set to Large down to the crossover point selected. From the crossover point downwards only the sub receives the bass.

The EXT In subwoofer setting refers to the SW Input of the 7.1 EXT Input's. You can boost the incoming level by up to +15db if you wish. Useful for some players etc when you're playing DVD audio/SACD discs or using the analog outputs of HD-DVD players that have screwy LFE output.

The Input Function Levels are so you can apply a boost or cut to that particular Input if you have different overall volume levels for each one. e.g Satellite TV might be louder than a TV input etc etc.

So for my needs (just movie viewing) I ...

Run calibration - set all speakers to small - make sure sub is LFE only and just leave it at that ?

So for my needs (just movie viewing) I ...

Run calibration - set all speakers to small - make sure sub is LFE only and just leave it at that ?

Yep, if you're only interested in movies. :)

Thanks Jase - appreciated

Just one last quick one - am I best sticking with the detected crossoverer and the advanced setting - or selecting 80Hz overall

I'd have a listen to each and see which you prefer overall to be honest. You can easily swap from one to another and back again.

Just an inquisitive question, if the speakers are set to small, and the SW is set to LFE, where does all the bass go below the 80Hz crossover? On my 3805, if the speakers are set to small, there is no option to select LFE+Mains or LFE only, so all sub-crossover frequencies go to the sub. If the 4306 has the ability to select LFE only and the speakers set to small, isn't there a danger of missing out on a chunk of sound?

Just an inquisitive question, if the speakers are set to small, and the SW is set to LFE, where does all the bass go below the 80Hz crossover? On my 3805, if the speakers are set to small, there is no option to select LFE+Mains or LFE only, so all sub-crossover frequencies go to the sub. If the 4306 has the ability to select LFE only and the speakers set to small, isn't there a danger of missing out on a chunk of sound?

Thats what I was a little worried about

However for now will go with Jase as it seems to tie in with this email I had from the Audeyssey team

.....one of the most common issues that arise from the way Denon decided to implement the bass management in that (and other) receivers. The definition that Denon selected for a Large vs Small speaker is based on whether the speaker exhibits response above or below 80 Hz. So, a speaker that goes down to 79 Hz (for example) will be called Large by Denon and thus tell the bass management system NOT to send the bass to the subwoofer

.....will be called Large by Denon and thus tell the bass management system NOT to send the bass to the subwoofer

Unless you select LFE + Mains for the sub I presume!

Jase

Just to say thank you

Calibrated around lunch time and for first time in months (maybe years) watched a film (actually two) without tweaking or messing with any settings

Cheers

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom