Denon 4306 does not pass through 1080p 24fps, is that true?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Corrado, Jan 11, 2008.

Tags:
  1. Corrado

Corrado

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Hi all

I was led to believe that the Denon AVR4306 receiver that I have would pass through 1080p signals including 24fps.... but I have noticed some judder when showing 24fps films and when I pressed the OSD button on the remote I saw a display that did not mention 1080/24hz, only 108050/60

Can anyone confirm if it definitely does handle the signal 1080p/24?:confused:

Attached Files:

• 024.jpg
      024.jpg
      Size:
      108.6 KB
      Views:
  2. Jase

Jase
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,071
    The 4306 does pass 1080p/24. The info on that screenshot is the information it's getting back as to either the resolutions the display it's connected to can accept or the resolutions the source can output. Are you sure that what you're actually outputting is 1080p/24?

3. Corrado

Corrado

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Hi Jase

Don't get it. The display it is connected to can take 108024fps - it is the new Pioneer 608 Kuro so I am not sure I understand.

It is also being fed by a PS3 running 1080/24fps.

I have noticed that the new 4308 actually specifies that it carries 24/50and 60hz - I have tried to call Denon but get no answer.

4. Jase

Jase
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,071
    I know the Pioneer's can accept it but have you enabled the HDMI Input on the Pioneer and told it what resolutions to expect?

5. Corrado

Corrado

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    The pioneer does accept it and I have been able to verify it does output it. Juat a shame that archaic menu/display on the Denon does not have a space for 24/hz

Thanks for your help Jase.

BTW - the Pioneer does not need adjusting to accept 24fps, I called and checked with their tech dept and it takes whatever you throw at it...

I tried bypassing the 4306 and going direct to the plasma from the PS3 and the only difference was that I saw 36bit come up on the info panel. This is what my Denon takes away. Can you shed more light on this?:lease:

6. Jase

Jase
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,071
    The Denon shouldn't be doing anything at all to the signal. Should just pass it through untouched. Be incredibly surprised if it stripped anything out of the signal. As I understood it there aren't any Deep Colour sources as yet so not sure why 36bit is flashing up.

With regards to the Pioneer I downloaded the manual as someone else had a similar query and it said you had to enable the HDMI Inputs so I just went by that. Maybe they've done that at the factory instead. :)

About the judder. Don't you have to select a certain mode on the Pioneer's so that they increase the framerate to 72hz? If all that's ok then the only other thing I can think of is that the original 1080p/24 modes on HD players weren't actually the proper timed output (although the latest firmware update should have sorted that).

7. Peter Galbavy

Peter Galbavy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    AFAIK the HDMI relay function in ther 4306 does not pass the 1.3a bits, and/or the protocol setup doesn't let more that 24 bit colour selection.

I have a 6080D, 4306 and an XE1, so much the same setup.

When watching 24p material set the Drive Mode to 3 (72Hz) - otherwise you *will* get noticeable judder in panning scenes. This is my one annoyance with the Kuros - no auto switching of refresh rate.

If you haven't got there yet, see http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=544315 for lots more :)

8. MarkTaylor

MarkTaylor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +662
    Not sure if this trick works on the 608, it certainly does on the 5080.

Switch the panel into PC mode from the menu then check the info again, the PC mode will actually show 24Hz if it is getting a 24fps feed.