1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Denon 3910

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by rweng, May 9, 2005.

1. rweng

rweng
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Recently purchased a 3910 and have been having mixed reactions from it.

Firstly wouldnt play the majority of the dvds I had. Admit some were aged discs but they have played fine in the past and also play play fine on the new samsung HD748. (they are originals not burnt copies!)
    Some of those that did play would only go for about 30 -45 min then major macroblocking and ultimate picture freeze.
    Some also exibited major vibration on start up in the player.
    These sysmptoms persisted for about a week with Denon (via the dealer) maintaining that the faults were caused by the quality of the discs not the player.

Have since purchased a no of new discs and (to be fair) most problems have gone away.(what do I do with my older ones?) Still get the occasional macroblocking. Surprise, however, some of the older discs also now play as well but very hit and miss - will play one day then freeze or not be recognised the next.

It would appear that the player can only tolerate pristine discs or it will spit them out or there is a tracking problem somewhere. Had a Sony some time back with a similar temperament.

Have been running on DVI to an HD lcd screen and while the image is good I cannot really say there is any noticeable difference between this output and the DVI from the samsung HD748 that was about 15% of the cost.(and it plays all my discs)

Also brand new out of the box only has firmware ver 3 installed. Will upgrade to 9 and see if any difference but suspect the problems I have experienced are not related to firmware.

Really couldn't recommend this player, Lot of $$, Denon support absolute crap and a dodgy player at best.

Regret buying it - Dealer and Denon wont take it back as they maintain there is nothing wrong with it.

2. spocktra

spocktra

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    From what you have described ,i would take it back and get a refund.Regardless of disc age ,a player should play it.As for the macroblocking,how can that be a disc problem.

3. Cable Monkey

Cable Monkey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +205
    Those symptoms indicate a faulty player. My experience with my Denon (2910) is that it is more likely to play a questionable disk than my previously prefered Panasonic players.

4. Mike Delvaux

Mike Delvaux

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I had same problems as this with my 2910, it went back to Denon for repair
    and they lost it along with the discs I sent them. They replaced it with the 3910 and I haven't had a problem. (YET)
    Just out of interest where is your player situated ? and does it get warm.

Mike.

5. Damian1978

Damian1978

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +264
    Version 3 is a very early version of the firmware. When I changed from 5 to 9 on my player (before it went back for a refund) the picture via DVI was a bit better as the black levels are a bit weird.

It still doesn't fix the blacker than black issue.

If you want the files I still have them somewhere.

Oh and the macroblocking is sadly a downside of the Faroudja processor :thumbsdow

6. Andywilliams

Andywilliams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Hi Mike
    Heat build up seems to be a major problem with dvd players freezing and blocking problems, my brother and dad both had these problems with there dvd players and it was caused by the players not getting enough air round them,when moved to a better position both players now have no problems with any discs.
    Cheers Gonzo.

7. Eddy Boy

Eddy Boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    I would say upgrade the firmware first as Damain says. Then consider comparing it with another 3910 at your dealer.

DVI/HDMI give different picture results, compared to analogue, and are different from machine to machine and display. Have you gone into the Picture Adjust on the remote (botom left) and altered the gamma settings etc?

A lot of poeple expect pristine quality from a DVD which is not always possible due to the information size of the disc, I'm talking about jaggies etc not how clear the image is. Many machines soften the image to remove this, Denon machines try to get the most from a disc and the artifacts become more aparant and even more so on larger screens. If you set the unit to interlaced via component you will see the natural image + your displayies scaling/processing. With Progressive selected you see the Faroudja chips processing but less processing on the TV side.

Also Denon machines spin at twice the speed so older discs that are not balanced will vibrate which would make them harder to read. Nothing you or I can do anything about its the price you pay for reducing the layer change.

8. Mike Delvaux

Mike Delvaux

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Gonzo.
    Yes I quite agree when my 2910 went back to the dealer, they had it on soak for three days. They had no problem at all. It was on a desk, and never
    even got warm, even with the dodgy discs I sent them, it worked perfectly.
    As a precaution they sent it back to Denon and thats when they lost it.
    I have the 3910 now where my record deck used to be and i've got to say
    it hardly changes temperature. (even after being used for hours on end)

Mike.