Denon 3910 ?

chrislewis

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Hi can anyone tell me what im doing wrong i have a 3910 running to infocus 7205 using a hdmi to dvi lead when playing in normal 480/576 no problems but if i switch to 720 i get red pixels all over screen and if i jump to 1080 it gets alot worse i have it set to hdmi component any ideas

cheers
chris

Try another cable, the problems you describe are normally related to the cable quality.

Yes, that could be the answer. Are you using a cheap cable? Also length can be a problem with digital cables. The shorter the better. Try to keep it under 1m.
Also try to use another setting like DVi-DVI or HDMI-HDMI instead of HDMI-component.

Hi im using a 10m supra hdmi to dvi then m1 to dvi adaptor do you think a dvi to dvi would solve the problem i have no way of using a shorter cable
cheers

DVI is only good for 5m-7.5m lengths. You may get lucky with some combinations of cable and devices - I used a lindy 10m cable between my A11 and Infocus projector. No problems with any resolution. However, each time an extra factor is introduced (adapter/gender changer etc) to the cable you decrease the usable length.

Basically it is a bandwidth issue and the red "sparkles" are an indication of bandwidth saturation. Just use the 576/480p setting and let the PJ do the scaling. Both the 7200 and 3910 use the Faroudja deinterlacer so you wont lose quality.

Bear in mind that the M1-DA is essentially a proprietory DVI connector Infocus uses on their units so if you used an HDMI cable it would still be treated as a DVI link.

HDMI does increase the cable length to 15m but obviously you would need both source and target to be HDMI!

HTH

Darren

I had lots of problems with dvi and an infocus projector, ended up using a 9m bettercables dvi cable and a geffen dvi to M1 adaptor, two other adaptors I tried caused picture problems. They obviously do hdmi cables and hdmi to m1 adaptors of the same/better quality - but as the infocus M1 input is dvi, you might as well go dvi to dvi.

Both available from Joe Fernand's company who is a regular poster in this forum.

M

Mad_darren said:
HDMI does increase the cable length to 15m but obviously you would need both source and target to be HDMI!
I can't swear to it as I can't think how to locate the post, but I'm sure I saw someone from Lumagen (the scaler people) indicated on AVS that it's only the transmitter end which needs to be HDMI since it's the transmitter's characteristics which determine cable length.

Joe can certainly supply lengths of 20m and 30m IIRC and for a price you can get DVI cables running 200m or more. :)

Im sure i must have something wrong im just not impressed with my picture a was using a ls110 through component before and to be honest i expected alot more out of the 7205 using hdmi or dvi-d the picture certainly looks better when in 1080 mode apart from the red pixel problem is there anyone who could advise me on my set up between my denon 3910 and 7205 .Im going to try a different cable tommorow if creative audio will lend me one they do a 10m dvi-d to m1 cable
thanks for all the advice so far
cheers
chris

3910: Ire should be set to 0, black level normal, auto 2 and send picture 720p - the projector native rate.

On 7205 set film 2 gamma, con/brightness 50 but put rgb gains at 66 and rgb offsets at 39 - should get a great picture.

M

cheers mark tried your settings much nicer picture hasnt cured the red pixels but i think it may well be down to the cable config im using
one thing with your set up what did you mean on the 3910 by setting the
ire to 0
thanks for your advice
cheers
chris :smashin:

If you press the picture adjust button and go to the set option, the first setting (on the far left of the three displayed) can be set to either 0 or 7.5, thats the ire, set it to 0

M

:thumbsdow :thumbsdow aahhh tried new cble and connector still getting the bloody red pixels all over screen when set to 720 and worse still at 1080
can anyone help :lease:

cheers

Take your dvd player and cable into shop where you bought it (or round to a friends) - try it out on there tv/pj via dvi - if the red pixels are still there you know it's the dvd or your type of cable, if not it's the pj at fault

When you say a new cable and connector - what brands, cos many are just clones of each other and some just don't work.

If it's the dvd/pj at fault then the fault should be fixable under warranty or if their new get a replacement unit.

You might also try the latest firmwares for both machines if you havent upgraded them, both are available from their specific manufacturers main U.S. websites.

M

Im using supra cable will try around friends house but i havent upgraded the software on either so will look into it
cheers again
chris

As I said before the supra cable may be the problem, the bettercables/geffen combo definately works, took me 3 months to work this out, and is well worth the £200 especially as you have nearly £5K of hardware that it connects between!

M

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom