1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Denon 3910

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by paulefox, Nov 5, 2004.

1. paulefox

paulefox

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    I was going to buy one of these tomorrow as I ahve just got a 3805 amp
    I am now having second thoughts as I see on here there are loads of problems with them
    should I buy it or if not what should I get

2. paulefox

paulefox

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
  3. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    What problems? Very few owners of the 3910 have any issues whatsoever and most (me included - I have 2 of them) have absolutely no issues whatsoever and are over the moon with the player.

4. paulefox

paulefox

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    are you using denon link and are there any drop outs
    do you have any DVDs that do not work

5. NC11

NC11

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    get a pioneer 868.

6. juniper

juniper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +55
    Paul,

I have the 3805 and have bought the 3910 to go with it as an ugrade from my 2900. In my opinion it is a fantastic player. I have experienced absolutely no problems whatsoever (and I have had issues with Denon players before, having had a 'feezing' 3800). The 2900 is great, the 3910 is better. It obviously complements the 3805 perfectly. The D-Link is great, with the auto-select feature meaning that you can play SACD and DVD-A without having to manually select Ext-In etc., the machine does it all for you. The Video from the 3910 is superb, giving IMHO a superb depth of field (I play mine only via an HS-20 pj) and excellent colour rendition and detail, especially via prog. scan. I have played many DVDs, both R1 and R2, and am just totally enjoying it, which after all is what it is there for :eek:. The audio is brilliant, I have even ditched my CD player (marantz CD6000) and play everything through the 3910. Thoroughly recommended here - go for it :thumbsup:

7. JetJockey

JetJockey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

I am also considering the 3910 and 3805 versus the Arcam DV79 and AVR300.

The thought of a single link between DVD player and Amp (Denon link) is very appealing. Two things have me worried:-

1) I believe that SACD cannot be transported over D link and the 3805 does not have firewire input. :confused:

2) All the talk of issues with the 3910 player (Macroblocking etc). :eek:

Anybody with any advice/thoughts please??

Cheers, Gerald. :)

8. Barend

Barend

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9

3910 is a wonderful machine, with a superb component progressive scan image, only very very slightly improving over hdmi.
    YUV is actually much better than on the DV868avi, had both.
    So good that even my sat receiver which has yuv outputs gives me a razorsharp image, close to DVD quality.
    Last night we watched DARKNESS on DVD, so lifelike and magnificent you wouldn't believe!
    I use the 3910 into my AVR300, an excellent match.
    But for stereo the CD82t player is still slightly better.
    Beware: The Arcam player is excellent but does NOT play SACD's !
    However, for pure sound quality it may win, dunno.
    Barend

9. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    Denon will be poroviding an upgrade shortly to allow SACD over Denon Link. Even without this I cannot fault the 3910. It is a stunning machine and whilst the 868 is also superb I prefer the 3910 (sold the 868).

10. andy_pandy

andy_pandy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I can't believe people read this forum and still buy Denon...... :suicide: Some machines might work well but just sit and think for one minute - which is the only make of machines which regularly get slagged off here..?? Denon...!!!! and this isn't a dedicated forum for Denon concerns, this is open to every manufacturer.
    Jetjocky : Think about it and then decide, Denon or Arcam..?? It's not even up for debate.

11. BrianC

BrianC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +101
    I'm not sure if I agree with that, Andy_Pandy, pretty much all makes seem to have faults of one sort or another (except Linn, never seen anybody complain about them), its just people seem to be more vocal about Denon. Have a search in the arcam forum for the dv88 and dv89, a number of problems mentioned there, some of which there isn't a work round for.

I'd always recommend a demo of the pio 868, arcam 79 & denon 3910 hooked up to the same sort of screen you plan on using the same type of cable. Simply not demoing all three of these quality players is madness.

12. vonhosen

vonhosen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13

I would think Denon sell a lot more players than Arcam & on that basis they are more likely to have a greater number of players that develop a fault. I've seen a few posts about Arcam's having problems here as well, so I don't think it is exclusive to any one manufacturer. Try them all & buy the one you are happy with. If it shows faults take it back & use your rights for action.

Personally I have had two Denon's & I was very happy with both. If they showed faults I would have returned them & if the replacement showed a fault I would then have looked elsewhere.

oh & the money you are paying for an Arcam I don't think you should see such a visible layer change........horses for courses I guess.

13. gandley

gandley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +269
    except that Arcam players have had there fair share off issues as well, Toshiba without a doubt are most reliable. but having owned a pioneer 868i as well the Denon A11 and a toshiba sd9500 and sd 900 the tosh players were the best built with zero hassle(except the odd occasion it played up with RCA discs)

But for me i had most problems with the pion 868i.
    First 1 was DOA, 2nd the drive failed 3rd was ok but kept dropping the HDMI signal which needed a fix as well.

No probs with the 3910 other than with i-link it somtimes drops the signal only with DD transfers on movies.

The reason we most hear about the Denon issues is because hayden labs are a bunch of numpties who always fob u off or deny any problems, Pioneer on the other hand treat u as your right and want to help you. So if denon turns you away where you gonna post your issues .....right here.

14. JetJockey

JetJockey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi.

Thanks for the info, very helpfull.

I was hopeing to Use the two Denons due to the single Link connection. It sounds a winner to me on the practicality side.

However............ If the Denon is used with an Arcam this won't work. Not much point in that then.

Likewise, If the firewire is dropping Audio when linked to a receiver with a suitable input (Pioneer for example) Not much point in that either I wouldn't have thought.

Who thought it would be so difficult to spend one's hard earned cash!!!

Gerald. :confused:

15. paulefox

paulefox

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    how does the denon link work are ther drop outs on that

16. gandley

gandley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +269
    denon link works fine....just it dosent support SACD yet.
    but sayin that, not much good SACD stuff around anyway so id rather have denonlink if i could and forgo at present i-link and SACD

17. Seth Gecko

Seth Gecko
    retired member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +193
    I have to say that, having had a Pioneer 668, I upgraded to the Denon 3910. I'd read all the usual mags and stuff so I figured I was clued up - and I am very very happy with the player. No problems at all (once I'd upgraded the firmware for Multi-Region). Have it connected to my LCD using HDMI-DVI (as I'd already had the cable for the 668) and have noticed that it is very detailed compared to the 668 and no sign of macroblocking on stuff I've played.

Can't comment on the amp as I'm using Coaxial for everything bar DVD-A/SACD - I'd say, using the Norah Jones SACD, that the Denon sounds better and more detailed than the Pioneer I had. That's just my opinion anyways.

18. awhb

awhb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I currently have a Pioneer 434 Plasma and a 757Ai (w/PAL Progrssive Scan) .
    Obviously I'm wasting that lovely HDMI clarity so it's time for an upgrade. :) So at the moment its between the Denon 3910 and the Pioneer 868AVi (now that I know there's a region mod for the 3910!).

I'd prefer the Denon because, in the past their players have always seemed much better at digital audio DVD-A & SACD than Pioneer. I don't know if that would still be the case though (still have an AVC-A11SR amp though, so co-axial only, no iLink or Denon link unfortunately :( ).

I have read reviews that said that some of the 4x3 mode functions don't work and macroblocking issues via the DVI/HDMI output on the 3910. Is this true? Anyone using the 3910 with a Pio plasma (HDMI)?

Thanks.

19. museumsteve

museumsteve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,007
    a DVD-audio question for those with 3910's. Got mine today (after swapping my 868) and I had been strugglig with DVD-A playback. I cant use denon link cos my amp has 1st release Denon link so I hooked up six channel connections.
    I couldn't select the DVD-A playback on some of my DVD-A discs until I found the option to switch to DVD Audio playbackin the menu of the player (silly option IMO). I was getting drop outs throughout playback but after some research I find that you should set the Direct playback on, which I've now down. Is this right? I dont seem to be getting any dropouts but it's concerning that I have to do this.
    From a technical point is the Direct mode better anyway? and what is it bypassing (if anything)?
    I would hate to think I've spent this money and possibly not getting the m ost out of the player, especailly with DVD-As as I listen to a lot of them.
    Thanks in advance :)

also, a little rant. I was totally gutted to find the player was marginally wider than my previous Pioneer 939 and the 868 which I had last week, so I'm having to rethink my equipment rack which was custom made :(

20. Barend

Barend

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I think the -6 upgrade I just installed should improve on some dvd-a issues.
    Barend

21. vonhosen

vonhosen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    You should have the player mode (on DVD menu) set to Audio. The player will then look to see if it's a DVD-A disc first off. If it's not set to this it will search for the standard lower res output options first. This setting will not effect playback of DVD-Video's other than they may take a fraction longer to load when initially inserted.

The D/A conversion is initially performed in the DVD player when you use the 6 analogue outs on your DVD player. If your amp is set up for "direct" playback it will take this analogue input & amplify it without any further A/D & D/A conversions. If your amp is not in direct mode it will probably do further A/D to D/A conversions to perform bass management etc within the amp.

22. museumsteve

museumsteve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,007
    thanks for the reply mate :) I'll do some playing tonight

23. keyser

keyser
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    When I use 1080i on my Denon 3910 with my infocus 5700, the picture wobbles/vibrates... anyone else have this problem?

24. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    All these players have problems. Personally I think the scaled outputs on the 3910 and the audio is really pants. I am non too keen on the Pioneer deinterlacing either. Personally I think the Arcam is the best of a badish bunch. The downside of adding all these features like DVD A SACD is that something has to suffer and for me this is not a price I like to pay. With all these buyer beware. You don't get something for nothing, there is always a trade off. The Denon I think is worse than the 2900 but HFN have also now said the same. I really do wonder how much these £1k players offer over the cheaper stuff.

Always found Toshibas rock solid as well.

25. museumsteve

museumsteve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,007
    I found both the Pioneer 868 and Denon 3910 to give equal if not slightly better image results than my Lumagen Vision (which is now being sold). I also think the audio from the Denon is much better than the Pioneer (hence the change) and far superior to my Pioneer 939-a (which was a nice player IMO)

I would also say £800-£1000 for a DVD player is not really in the bracket of 'wanting something for nothing', just my opinion :)

26. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    I have exacting standards :)

27. mikeaitch

mikeaitch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +55
    Does the 3910 process incoming signals then?

28. Wasabi

Wasabi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    SBC (Swedish Born Chinese)/lived in UK since 96, C
    Ratings:
    +32
    "The Denon dvd-3910 is a grand slam" from the new Hometheaterhifi review (the benchmark site for dvd players) = hometheaterhifi

Wasabi

29. rimibar

rimibar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hi Jet,

Obviously the choice between these 3 players is completely personal. Therefore (and I emphasise) IMHO:

I was lucky enough to demo at home all 3 players - the 868, the DV79 and the 3910. Unfortunately I do not yet have an HDMI compatible display device, so I demoed on component in each case.

Thoughts -
    Solidly built machine which partners my AMP perfectly via iLink (AX10i). Smallest footprint of all of the machines. Picture good, but very noticeably outperformed by its competition. Music (CD) left a lot to be desired. Music (DVD-A) lacked depth and warmth.

Build quality most impressive of the 3 - the player is huge and weighs a tonne! Very high quality disc transport - very slick. Picture very vibrant particularly with digital transfer (Finding Nemo et al.). Detail really breath taking. Music capability did not complement my system - particuarly when Denon extol the virtues of their phono DACs for CD playback. If you have iLink connected you cannot enable the phonos. Again, this analysis is based on my ears on my system!

DV79
    Build quality excellent - minimalist appearance therefore the coolest looking of the lot! Transport is a little disappointing, however there is more than made up for in the... Picture - FAB! You get the impression that the picture is sucked off the disc with relish. Have not even tried the HDMI yet and this will be an even further improvement (when my budget allows!). My PJ is shamed because I have seen pictures put onto friend's PJs from the Arcam and I almost fell off my chair! Music - the real king of the bunch. Forget anything through coax. I use decent quality phono cables and :eek: it's fab! Even through my speakers which are mainly for cinema the depth and richness of the sound is wonderful. Jazz vocals draw you in and you forget you're at home!

All in all, for my system and my ears/eyes, Arcam all the way!

The Pio and Denon are also excellent machines but IMHO: 1/ Arcam, 2/ Denon, 3/ Pio. Surprising when you consider my AMP!!!!

Hope this helps and good luck in your hunt. Not an easy choice!

Richard

30. BUFFY FAN

BUFFY FAN
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi I'm new to this site and not quite figured it out yet so sorry. 3 months ago I bought a denon 3910 and 3805. I am really happy with them both but I have noticed something strange on the dvd player. It is plugged into my NEC vt45 lcd projector via component and is in the progressive scan mode. The picture is very clear no problems there but sometimes in large panning sequences like in the lord of the rings the picture kind of trips up. Like it's gone back or paused for a tenth of a second. Does anyone know if this is normal for progressive scan. I would be really happy if anyone knows anything about this. Thanks :lease: