Denon 3910 - where should I buy one?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by inkinoo, Nov 7, 2004.

1. inkinoo

inkinoo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +244
    Can anyone recommend a good place to go and buy a Denon 3910 please.

Thanks,

G

2. andy_pandy

andy_pandy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    For starters DON'T buy one. If you must, and god knows why you would want to, get it from a reputable shop so you can get your money back when it goes wrong - don't you read this forum...!!!
    For the same money Arcam 79 will knock spots off the 3910....on your head be it if you get the 3910....you have been warned.... :suicide:

3. inkinoo

inkinoo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +244
    Well I had been looking at Pioneer 868 but went to see a demo and wasn't entirely convinced. Then looking at the Denon but must admit hadn't considered the arcam.

What makes the arcam that much better?

G

4. inkinoo

inkinoo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +244
    And just doing a quick check ... the Arcam is £200 more (ie £1000 vs £800); unless I am not looking hard enough.

5. andy_pandy

andy_pandy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    £200 more for a phenominal piece of kit with far superior chips and picture quality is a small price to pay. If HDMI isn't an issue then get the 78....same chips just no HDMI output. Seriously have a read of the reviews, do your reserch, then listen to them both and then decide. Just read the comments on here about trouble with the 3910 - in fact ALL Denon DVD players - and think long and hard about it. If you get a good one then you'll be lucky but I wouldn't risk it again for this kind of money.....I'm talking from bitter experience here.

6. vonhosen

vonhosen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    While you are doing that balance your views with looking at any problems with Arcam players. When you have done that demo both & base your judgement on which you prefer. Both deserve an audition.

7. BrianC

BrianC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +101
    I don't think its got much to do with "getting a good one", the faults with the denon seem more to do with Denons implementation of iLink than anything else.

The only other faults I've seen mentioned are incompatability with a Sony DVD burner, and macroblocking, which I suspect, if it really is macroblocking, only affects certain combinations of dvd player, connection and displays. If my memory serves me correctly, the A1 had a similar problem?

As I've said almost as many times as andy_pandy rubbishes denon based on experience of old models, demo the pio 868, arcam 79 and the denon 3910 back to back on the same display as you plan on using.

8. inkinoo

inkinoo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +244
    Well I demoed the 868 and wasn't especially impressed. My reason for thinking the 3910 is that my next upgrade will be to the AVC-A1XV come Summer 2005 (house move).

I'll demo both the Arcam and Denon and take it from there.

G