1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Denon 3910 vs DV79 for Mpeg audio output.

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by JetJockey, Nov 29, 2004.

1. JetJockey

JetJockey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

Tried to play two DVD's with Mpeg soundtracks the other evening and got no sound using a DV79 and AVR300 with Digital coaxial interconnect.

I informed Arcam and was told that AVR300 cannot decode Mpeg audio and that the DV79 cannot convert Mpeg to DD bitstream so must use analogue interconnects. :eek: When I complained, I was told that I would not find another DVD player on the market that could convert the Mpeg to Digital bitstream except for my old Tag DVD32R at £4K. :rolleyes:

Enter the Denon 3910 which was at my home awaiting Demo. Replace DV79 with 3910 and still use digital interconnect. Place DVD's in machine and "hey presto". Full stereo sound issueing from the AVR300 with the Digital bitstream indicator alight in the window. The Denon then played another two DVDs (this time backed up on DVD-R Ritek G-05 dye) that the Arcam went brain dead over!! :eek:

All I can say folks, is that the Denon 3910 is NOT as bad a machine as some on this forum have tried to make out!! :oops:

Gerald. :thumbsup:

2. flexiondotorg

flexiondotorg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I auditioned both DVD players you mentioned and specifically tested DVD titles with MPEG audio. I was an early adopter of DVD and many of the DVDs in my collection have MPEG audio. Is is funny how some companies have forgotten that it is part of the DVD specification and no longer support it?!

In any case, Arcam are talking rubbish and their player/amp combo didn't decode MPEG audio titles. However, my old Pioneer 626D did. Of the recent players I have tested the Yamaha DVD-S1500, Denon 3910, Onkyo 502E all worked. Even my PS2 can do it.

3. phfjones

phfjones
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Agreed, I am using a modded Xbox to play old style DVD's. The gaming console area explains in more detail but, like the PS2 I'd imagine, the Xbox can pretty much play any media file you throw at it. A bargain....oh and it plays games too!

PHFJ

4. tulloch2003

tulloch2003

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    @ remix_88 is the Yamaha DVD-S1500 any good then. Looking for a good all rounder for films and music.

Regards Tulloch

5. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    Gerald

MPEG has to be both outputted from the player and understood by the receiver. Most just don't bother anymore, even Tag has it as an option...it just costs money but there are some players that do it.

To see the 3910 is full swing, stick on Star Trek Insurrection R1 and watch the results.......;)

6. carlymart

carlymart

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    i agree i have a 3910 and it has played everthing i have tried except dvd rom great player

7. Miniholic

Miniholic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +397
    Nick,

I'm looking to buy the ST movies at the moment, do you mean this is the version to go for, or the one to avoid?

8. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    It is a torture disc for deinterlacing, I have R2 here and R1 is due anyday so can compare and tell you which to buy if you wait a week or two. My old R1 went walkies at some demo....From memory R1 is better transfer but it is a difficult disc to play 'correctly'.

Re the 3910 it just can't make it's mind up on this one...