1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Denon 3910 Vs Arcam DV79

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Umster, Jan 3, 2005.

Tags:
  1. Umster

Umster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Hi everybody.... :thumbsup:

I'm new to this excellent forum...need some open advise on both these execellent DVD players. As you can tell by my current DVD player listed below, it need replacing :cool:

I'm looking at the players above...However my system does not have DVI or HDMI input...only component...

So which on of these will give me the best picture and sound quality with the connections I have?

All suggestion welcome :thumbsup:

2. Barend

Barend

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9

I own a 3910 but I'm pretty sure the sound will better the Denon, also the video is said to be fantastic as well, although my 3910 has an amazing crispness as it is...
    Only SACD lovers are kept outside of the Arcam, funny decision now DVDA is dying and on life support (more and more music dvd's offer DTS instead), and SACd seems to be the future, if only in a niche...
    Barend

3. gandley

gandley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +269
    Video wise there almost identical. The arcam has a bad layer change though and its Deinterlacing is not the best. Its cd playback however gives the 3910 a good kickin. the denon has the i-link connection which when employed with an high end amp will raise sound quality to an equal bar.

They are both excellent units but the 3910 offers more for your money, and is one of Denons finest all round offerings.

heres a quck review by the very well respected secrets team

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volume_12_1/denon-dvd-3910-dvd-player-1-2005.html.

And scroll down this page for a quick view off the arcam dv 79 findings

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/cgi-bin/shootout.cgi?function=search&articles=118

4. Umster

Umster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Guy's :thumbsup:

Thanks for the valued input...as you can now see my signiture and the equipment that I own.. :)

any more opinions? please feel free :clap:

5. Henry

Henry

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    I spent ages looking at both of them. The best advice is go and listen to them and see them in action. I ended up going for the Arcam as I felt that the picture was very very marginally better and preferred the sound. But you are talking minor differences.

Bottom line, I reckon you'd be happy with either as they're both excellent machines. I just happened to think that the Arcam was better, but for everyone that agrees with me they'll be someone that prefers the Denon and someone that prefers the Pioneer 868.

Go and check them out for yourself. Living in London they'll be dozens of places only too happy to demonstrate them! :smashin:

6. Barend

Barend

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    It's true, the 3910 is a marvellous piece of kit, I don't understand why people call the sound "bad", speaking 5.1 its DTS renderings (just tried one of those music dvd's that have DTS or Dolby but no DVD-A) sound mighty fine indeed (though a bit too enthousiastic from the rears which can be easily corrected of course).
    And the yuv pic is a gem, very true to life and sharp, compared to my prior Pioneer.
    Can't wait to try the Iscan scaler (coming this week) but I might be in for a surprise because the Denon is so good...
    But if you own many generic cds use a separate player, it sounds OK but still a bit flat.
    For what I heard the DV79 cd sound is every inch as good as a CD72.
    Barend