1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Denon 3910 trip-up

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by BUFFY FAN, Jan 8, 2005.

1. BUFFY FAN

BUFFY FAN
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi I'm new to this site and not quite figured it out yet so sorry. 3 months ago I bought a denon 3910 and 3805. I am really happy with them both but I have noticed something strange on the dvd player. It is plugged into my NEC vt45 lcd projector via component and is in the progressive scan mode. The picture is very clear no problems there but sometimes in large panning sequences like in the lord of the rings the picture kind of trips up. Like it's gone back or paused for a tenth of a second. Does anyone know if this is normal for progressive scan. I would be really happy if anyone knows anything about this. Thanks :lease:

2. Jules

Jules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +721
    Have you got the DVD player's video ouput set to PAL?
    If so, set it to AUTO and see if it makes a difference.

My guess is you're watching an NTSC (Region 1) disc with the players video output set to PAL. That would produce the effects you describe as the Denon tries to convert NTSC 60Hz to PAL 50Hz.

Set the DVD players video output to AUTO and let your display handle it. That should fix it.

Of course NTSC material can be a bit juddery anyway, but nothing like what you see when trying to convert NTSC60 to PAL50.

Hope that helps.

3. BUFFY FAN

BUFFY FAN
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi Jules. The dvd player is set to ntsc. If i set it to PAL or auto i get no picture at all in progressive mode. I can't remember off the top of my head but i think it tells me to do this in the intructions which I might add did my head in a little. Most of my dvd's are region 2. I'll try it again on auto and pal. Maybe I messed up. Will let you know. Thanks a lot for your input.

4. Jules

Jules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +721
    If it is set to NTSC then that could also be the problem.

Few players can convert PAL to NTSC, but since you mention it, I think Denon players can! the player will be trying to convert the 50Hz PAL frequency to a 60Hz NTSC.

Set it to AUTO and let us know how you get on. If you don't get a picture then something else is wrong.

5. BUFFY FAN

BUFFY FAN
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I've set the dvd on auto and my projector is telling me it is receiving an RGB signal non-interlaced. The only problem is everything is green. :confused:
    When it is set on ntsc my projector says it is receiving a component signal non-interlaced and everything is normal i.e in colour.
    Maybe my projector can't do RGB progressive?

6. Jules

Jules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +721
    Yes, its sounds like your display is having trouble with a PAL progressive signal. I'm not familiar with your display, but there maybe somthing in the menu that tells it what kind of signal to expect.

If it simply won't accept a PAL progressive signal, then I'd just leave the player set to interlaced.... better that than have missing frames and jumpy motion all the time.

7. BUFFY FAN

BUFFY FAN
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    My projector has one of those mini d 15 pin inputs on it and I ordered a component cable to go in it. Do you think an rgb cable connected to this same input is wired up a bit differnetly? I don't know if i can even get an rgb cable in this mini d thing. When I bought the dvd player I just thought I would need the component wires as I understood progressive material was output through this kind of wire. This is my first progressive player.

8. Jules

Jules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +721
    Ahhhh, I see. RGB is not the same as component! You can't run a component signal to an RGB input as RGB requires a sync.

Does your projector not have a component input you could use?

Others on here know more than I do about component / RGB conversion, and hopefully someone else will be able to help you there.
    But that will be adding to your problem.

9. BUFFY FAN

BUFFY FAN
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    It doesn't do the tripping-up thing that often it just niggles you when you've spent £900 on a dvd player. I understand what you are saying when it has to convert 60hz to 50hz or vise versa. Think that might be it. A couple of weeks ago I flicked between progressive and non-progressive and I thought the picture was far superior in progressive. Much more smoothe looking and film like. On my lcd projector anyway. I might have to put up with the trip-up for now I think as it is not very often and only about a tenth of a second or something. very grateful for your insight and help Jules. Thanks

10. BUFFY FAN

BUFFY FAN
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    The component and rgb has to go in throught this mini d thing so i had to buy the special wire from nec which has the d pin on one end and 3 phomos on the other. There are no seperate cpmponent ins on my projector unfortunatley

11. BUFFY FAN

BUFFY FAN
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Looks like my denon is outputting component non-interlaced when ntsc is selected and rgb non-interlaced when auto or pal are selected. the projector will take component non-interlaced but maybe not rgb non-interlaced through this wire i have. Might have to buy another wire for it to acsept rgb?

12. Chris Gilbert

Chris Gilbert

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Looking at your projector manual online:
    http://support.nevt.co.jp/dl_service/data/user_manual/ENGLISH/VT45/mvt45en.pdf

I'd suggest making sure that you've got your connections correct, you probably have as it works NTSC, it should be green goes to Y, Blue to Cb and red to Cr. But it's always worth checking the basics (see page E-21)

Also you might be able to force component on the projector, see page E-33, which talks about Page 2 of the Setup menu, there's an RGB option, check what it's set to.

The other suggestion is checking if you have Auto Adjust setting on Page 4 of the setup options. Reading page E-34 of the above doc suggests that with it off you may need to manuallly alters some settings.

Oh and what does the information page list when you set the denon to Auto output? it might suggest what mode it's trying to run in

(of course it's always possible that the denon is doing something odd, but it's worth checking the projector settings)

Chris

13. Tony B

Tony B

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I thought that the 3805 could up-convert from RGB to component?

14. HeweyBoy101

HeweyBoy101

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +60
    No it cannot. It will convert S-Video or composite to component. Also. will pass component through. The only AV Amp I am aware of that accepts RGBs is the Arcam AVR300. Even then, I'm not sure if it actually does any conversion to component?

15. BUFFY FAN

BUFFY FAN
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    With the dvd player set to ntsc progressive the projector says it is receiving component non-interlaced in the RGB input terminaland I have colour picture. With dvd set to PAL or auto in progressive the projector says it is receiving RGB non-interlaced in the RGB input terminal and I get a green picture. That is with everything on auto on projector. If I try to set projector manualy to do component when dvd is in this mode the screen goes blank and the projector says no input. This is when I have a dvd in playing or on pause. With no dvd in or on stop I get the denon back screen and menu showing up in colour just fineon auto/pal or ntsc. It's just when I put a region 2 disk in that things go strange so I'm having to watch everything in NTSC mode which maybe cuasing the trip-up thing. Looks to me like the dvd player is playing normal component progressive in NTSC mode and RGB progressive in PAL mode. Suppose there must be a difference between the two. Also I don't get this problem in interlaced mode just progressive. I must thank you Chris for going to so much effort for me. Thanks. :smashin: