1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Denon 3910 - time display? overall speed? power cord?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Colgate7110, Dec 29, 2004.

1. Colgate7110

Colgate7110

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +75
    Hello folks,

This is hopefully a really simple question to which "no" isn't the answer! :)

I love my new Denon 3910 - I still can't believe how much better the picture is compared to my Sony 7700 and I loved that too. I never noticed, for instance, that the agents in the Matrix films where green suits while Smith (in the last 2 anyay) wears black - previously they all just looked black. Colour separation, black detail, progressive output - all just stunning.

There is one thing however...

One feature I liked on my Sony (and the other Sony units I've seen) was that I could cycle the time display on the front panel LCD through chapter time elapsed, chapter time remaining, title time elapsed and title time remaining. It's not exactly a life-changing feature but is there any way to do that on a 3910? I know you can press "display" several times to cycle through these options on screen and on the LCD panel but I can't find a way to do it without displaying it on my TV screen - any help greatly appreciated!!!

Also, compared to other DVD players, is the Denon 3910 bloody slow at loading discs, changing titles, browsing through menu screens etc? Don't get me wrong - the picture and sound are second to none and that's why I happily paid out for the 3910 but when you turn on the power, it has a right good think about doing some work before you can press "Eject" and when you do actually get a response to your frantic stabbings of the button, the tray limps out, crawls back in, then it says "loading" for a while before finally forcing you to sit through copyright notices in 13 languages (yeah, thanks Fox!) then another few minutes while you jump between sound setup menus then press play... :rolleyes:

Being petty I know - I wouldn't change my 3910 for any machine on the market today - but it seems odd that for all the processing power in that box, it's just a bit sluggish, especially compared to a machine that's more than 5 years old. Anyone else find that?

Finally, has any tried using something like a Russ Andrews PowerKord on the 3910 and does it make a noticeable difference? I appreciate that a pack-in video or audio lead doesn't perform as well as an after-market cable but I would have thought the transformer in the 3910 handled the current smoothing and noise reduction before distributing power to the various components within the box?

Thanks in advance for any info,

Colin

2. Murray

Murray

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Yes it is soooooo slow! it drives me crazy! Sometimes friends say "what are you doing!!!!" They think Im playing arounf but Im not! Im just trying to get the bloddy picture on the screen! Apart from that its a great machine. Ive had real cheap players that load as soon as you press the button. If cheap players can load quick why cant expensive one too?

3. loonatic

loonatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    I have a Russ Andrews Classic PowerKord with a W320 IEC connector on my 3910...but it's been there from the start so can't say if it makes any real difference over the supplied cord but I upgraded all my mains cable and power blocks sometime ago and it did make a difference at the time.

Cheers, Lee

4. AgentCool

AgentCool

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +184
    I've got a 2910 and to cycle through the display time remaining etc you simply press the 'Display' button on the remote which is the one top right of the 4 buttons that surround the arrow keys.

As for the loading times, I can't say I've had to wait as long as some of you are saying. Most menus load almost straight away!

5. cebs_uk

cebs_uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +415
    Hi

I have also upgraded from an old sony 745D and what I miss along with the time display option are the display showing the title of the film on the rare occasion that its on the disk and also that you could look at jaclet pictures and store them as a background for the setup page. My fav is the superman logo in silver from the r1 boxset.

Anyone if any other players apart from sony do the above?

Thanks

Cebs

6. Barend

Barend

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Multiformat players are bound to be slow as they have to take a hard look at what you throw at them...
    A classic DVD player is usually quicker to shout GOT IT! as is a dedicated SACD or CD player...
    Barend

7. gandley

gandley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +269
    It is a bit slow, but in the past Denon have manage to speed things up via a firmware update. this was the case with the A11 which at first was painfully slow, but a few updates later was Aok