1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Denon 3910 - Progressive/Interlaced Question

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by robbiet, Dec 4, 2004.

1. robbiet

robbiet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am new to all of this so apologies if I am asking a really silly question.

I have just purchased a Denon 3910 and have a Tosh 32ZD26 TV. I have the 3910 connected via component output (Supra cable) but the Toshiba will only show a picture if the DVD is setup to output an interlaced picture rather than a progressive one. My TV says on the front progressive scan and there is a menu option for it. This menu option disappears when on Ext4 (the component input) but only when the DVD is set to progressive.

I thought progressive was better than interlaced and am disappointed/surprised I can not make this work.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

2. AML

AML

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +229
    Im not familliar with your TV, but it could be that its not actually progresive scan compatible. A lot of makers put things like that on the TV to help it sell more. the word "progresive" carries a lot of weight when selling a product.

The player definately has progresive scan, but theres no guaranty that the TV does. Have you tried other products like the XBox that also use progresive scan?

The TV shouldnt need a menu for progresive scan. It should simply work when you plug in a progresive compatible product like a DVD player and then switch it on. (making sure you change the chanel on the TV to the component channel)

It could also be a PAL issue that im not familiar with.

3. Miniholic

Miniholic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +398
    I bought a 3910 last weekend and have a Toshiba 32ZP38. I was concerned at first, as I went into the setup menu, but couldn't select progressive as I couldn't find the scan mode option in the menu.

In my case it's actually a feature of the TV, when a progressive signal is used it disables a number of picture setup options, I presume the progressive option is there to force the tv into progressive mode when an interlaced signal is being used. I didn't have to do anything to the tv to get it to display an progressive image, just plugged the Denon straight in.

Progressive scan is listed in the spec of your tv, but it may only work with an NTSC signal as these were supported prior to PAL progressive being ratified and seem to be more common - the same was true with DVD players.

4. ghostdog

ghostdog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +35
    I have a 36ZD26P and a Denon 2900 multi-region player. If the 3910 is like the 2900 you have to go into the DVD player menu and make sure that the progressive video option is set to NTSC or Auto.

The Toshiba doesn't display PAL progressive, only NTSC. If you watch Region 2 discs you have to make sure you play it in interlaced mode otherwise you get no picture. The only way back then is to connect a composite video lead to your TV and reset the progressive option in the dvd menu.

hope this helps

Ghostdog

5. AML

AML

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +229
    As I thought, its an obscure PAL problem. There you go!