Denon 3910 problems with Recorded DVDs

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Messiah, Oct 16, 2004.

1. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +338
    A note of caution for any impending purchasers of the Denon 3910.

I have two Denon 3910s and would love to say I am delighted with them. Unfortunately I cannot at the moment as they have a problem with audio and video break up after about 70 minutes watching. I know some of the older Denon players used to 'cook' the discs and exhibit this problem. I really hoped the 3910 did not suffer the same fate.

I am sad to say that I feel a pit peeved now having bought two of them. Had the first one about a month and it was fine until earlier this week. The same day I bought the second unit. The second one (in a different room and different setup) started doing the exact same thing last night. I'm now in a quandary at what to do but at this time cannot rtecommend the 3910 for this reason.

I should add that this problem is only with DVD-R discs burned on my PC and/or Philips/Panasonic stand alone DVD Recorders. All are Ritek G04 discs which never exhibited any problems on my previous Tosh SD900E and Pio 868 players.

I have done further testing this evening and can confirm it is not the discs per se. i.e. Discs which played fine in my SD900 and 868 players, exhibit this problem in both my 3910 players after about an hour of watching. Likewise, newly burned discs which have the problem on the 3910's do not have any problems playing on the Pioneer 868. It appears to most definitely be a heat related problem only exhibited on my 3910s :mad:

2. keyser

keyser
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    That stinks! I´m was about to order a 3910 and I watch a lot of burned DVD´s. Have you e-mailed Denon about this?

I´m I might wait for my buy until you get some answers.

3. mutley

mutley
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    You should try Verbatim DVD+R discs.

Never seen a player that doesn't read them.

4. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +338
    Thanks, but that's not the point. I have a catalogue of DVD-Rs (Ritek G04 dye) that have never failed to play properly ona ll previous players. Having spent £800 on a new Denon I would not have expected it to be affected this way. I'm not prepared to re-copy all my discs.

Also, it seems from reading other posts that the Denon's are well known for being flakey in this area. Should have done more homework before buuying 2 of them :suicide:

5. AV Junky

AV Junky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +69
    As stated above Messiah, you need to contact either your dealer or Denon to get this sorted. You must still be within warranty, and this is a premium product so would expect premium service.

6. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +338
    Agreed. But unsure what they will or can do to rectify. I don't hold out much hope. I've been waiting for over 4 weeks for them to send the relevant paperwork to my dealer for a Denon Link upgrade on my A1SR. 4+ weeks on and still heard nothing. I doubt I'l ever buy anything Denon again and their service is appalling.

I've even contemplated fitting a quiet case fan inside them but that will invalidate my warranty, and as one is only 4 weeks old and the other less thana week old I think that is a bit drastic.

Will update this thread if I get anywhere, though likely just to ask for a refund to save all the hassle and revert back to my (near perfect) Pioneer 868. (Chroma bug is it's only fault and I don't see that)

7. cybersoga

cybersoga

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    I'd try and get a refund on the Denon. You can get an Arcam FMJ DV27A for a good price right now, but then if there's nothing wrong with your pioneer...

8. Barend

Barend

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Spinning lots of backupped movies here on the 3910, DVD+R, DVD-R and the rewriteables and NO problems at all...neither had any when I still owned the Denon 2900.
    Barend

9. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +338
    Good to hear. I still think my problems are heat related. The 3910 is positioned directly above the 3805 which will cause a heat build up. However, the previous SD900 and 868 never showed any problems and Denon and mags almost always show the two sat one on top of the other.

What blanks are you using Barend? Ritek dye?

Also, how is your player positioned. Mine is also in a glass cabinet with front doors so again will not help heat wise. Will be doing some more tests tonight. Will play another disc with a fan blowing over the 3910 and 3805 just to prove if it is heat related or another (laser assembly?) problem.

10. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +338
    That's just it. There's nothing at all wrong with the Pio. Just having upgraded to the 3805 thought it would be good to have the matching pair. The rest is history....as they say :laugh:

11. Barend

Barend

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Mine is sort of pressed between two glass shelves, this is far from ideal.
    I have been using Ritek G04 with success in my Pioneer DVR-107, burning at 8 speed. Now I have the Philips DVD+R 8x and also the excellent ditto's by Fuji, which come cheap from www.cdrwinkel.com
    Also Fujifilm DVD+RW 4 speed, with same excellent results.
    Sometimes I had dropouts and stuttering when I tried to work on the pc while burning, so I don't do that anymore...
    Must admit I stopped using minus discs, as they seem to go up in price, and more and more offers are leaning towards plusses...
    But I used to burn lots of minuses, and these discs still don't give me probs...
    Could be I will be experiencing your problems over the months...
    I am still amazed at the component video quality, I see almost no difference with dvi, not even with ntsc discs that play unconverted. Rock steady and super crisp, but it's not easy to get large contrasts tuned...so I ordered an AVIA disc from Amazon.com, 35 $ or so which is not too bad.
    Barend

12. keyser

keyser
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    "The 3910 is positioned directly above the 3805 which will cause a heat build up. However, the previous SD900 and 868 never showed any problems and Denon and mags almost always show the two sat one on top of the other."

Wouldn´t it be better to place the DVD player under the amp(and even place something under the feet to seperate the two more), I currently have my pio 737 DVD sitting under my Denon 3805 amp. The amp runs VERY hot so I would never place anything on top of it. I once placed my 3803 amp in a semi closed cabinet and things actually melted inside and I could have boiled an egg on the top shelf.
    I bet most of the mags just place the stuff as it looks best when they take the pictures.. most of the time there aren´t even cables showing. I doubt very much they have the idal setup in mind... probably many times pro photographers take pictures that don´t have a clue about the stuff.

13. gandley

gandley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +269
    Also running dvd backups with no issues.

Still would not stick the dvd player on top off the amp, flip me i can cook on top of mine it gets so hot

14. Jack the lad

Jack the lad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +86
    Messiah gutted for you mate.

How do you rate them against the 868? Th DVD-r issue asside :)

15. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +338
    TBH, I can't see any noticeable difference in pic quality using the HDMI connection. The meus on the 868 are also way nicer (sad I know but they just look as though so much more time went in to designing them). I really want to keep the 3910s as I like the look of them when sat with the respective amps. All seemed great. 868 sold, matching Denon pair. And then this :mad:

I wholly accept what people are saying about the positioning but the fact is that my 2 previous players (Tosh SD900 and Pio 868) just never suffered any issues at all. I would therefore expect (hope, maybe) that the 3910 should be the same and have no problems.

I also feel sorry for the intended purchaser of my 868 and am toying whether to say goodbye to it anyway and then work on finding a fix to this problem. Last night I moved the one in my HC Room on to a higher shelf further away from the amp (Denon A1SR) and will tonight (didn't finish it till 1am this nmorning so too late to be watching an hours worth of a film) stick a film on and see what happens. If it's OK then it confirems it is a heat problem, means I can keep the one in the HC room and likely come up with a fix for the one in the lounge (with the 3805). If that is the case then I can let the 868 go (assuming the original purchaser still wants it).

Also, as to sitting the player on top of the amp, if ytou look at the vent holes in the top of the 3805 they have abviously designed it to allow a matching DVD player to be sat on top, as have not put vents where the feet of a player will be. The 868 used to sit on a shelf about an inch above the 3805 but due to the 3910 being taller I had to remove the glass shelf and stack them. If I ditch the DVD recorder then everything can move up and give some more space back. Either that or swap the Tivo and Sony Digibox for a Sky+ unit (already got a spare in the roof) and that would give me loads more space. Hmmm. Maybe an idea is forming :rolleyes: Maybe letting the 868 go will push me into making some changes.

16. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I must say that i have never seen this problem on my 2900, i was also thinking of getting a 3910 maybe i'll steer clear :(

John :)

17. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +338
    Well, in every other respect it is excellent. If I can confirm it as a heat problem then others can make the necessary precautions as to positioning etc and get the benefits of the 3910.

18. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Messiah do you think that the 3910 would be a worthy upgrade to the 2900 or should i go for the A11?

19. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +338
    I never saw a 2900 but from everything I have read it seems the 3910 is as good if not better than the A11. I'd suggest you direct the question at Gandley though as I think he may have seen/owned all 3.

Gandley??????

20. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers Messiah

21. Jack the lad

Jack the lad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +86
    If it make you feel any better I will swap you my 868 for one of your 3910's :D

Just had the HDMI firmware done (Wednesday) any only bought at the end of June with full receipt :)

22. Umquat

Umquat
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The 3805 manual does specifically say that there should be a 10cm gap above the amplifier.

I've had to put it at the top of my rack because it was much deeper than the Marantz it replaced. It does get extremely hot above it after just a short while.

23. gandley

gandley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +269
    No point getting the A11 now the 3910 is here, its higher price is not realy worth it. It does still have a slightly better analog stage for video and audio, but the down side is that it is realy dogged with the Macroblocking issue which isnt good. It also forces dvi to output pal 60 and not pal 50.

So with the 3910 the PQ is much better with HDMI plus it outputs pal 50hz. if u intend to use i-link the advantages of the A11 audio stage are then void anyway.
    Personaly i think the 3910 is a very well rounded product that only lacks interlaced output for HDMI.(but thats not the end of the world)

So it will do till the 5910 turns up

24. Scotty Boy

Scotty Boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Messiah, if you ever want to get rid of one of your Denon 3805s (You have two? :laugh: ) Then i'd glady purchase one off you.

25. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Gandley i do like the specs on the new denon but what Messiah's post says it does trouble me abit :( I'll wait and see for further updates on this thread.

26. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +338
    No, I only have one 3805, an A1SR and two 3910's. It's the 3910's that may be going back. 3805 is pretty good, though not massively better than the 3803 despite what people say.

Still no option to name the inputs :mad: Crikey. I had that on my Sony DA50 which I sold about 3 years ago. Bought a couple of years before that.

27. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +338
    Well, spent the last hour shifting stuff around in the rack so DVD player is now separated by DVD Recorder (which has never been used :blush: - but you never know). Currently playing the same disc that was problematic last night. If it still breaks up after about an hour then that is the death knell for both my 3910's and they will be going back. Should know in about 40 minutes. Will then do same tomorrow during day and evening to be sure.

Attached Files:

28. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +338
    Oh dear. Hasn't even been 30 minutes and the picture has started breaking up already. This rules out external heat as the culprit and in my view puts it down to an internal heat build up. That's it. Both mine will be set for return tomorrow. Real shame. I had such high hopes for this unit.

BTW, despite it having played for over 30 minutes when I went in to the lounge now to see it the DVD display says 11mins 36 seconds. Not only has it pixellated etc but looks as though it has jumped backwards as well. This is way sooner than it did it last night.

Back to the drawing board :mad:

29. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Messiah, I think i will wait and see still as there seems to be a problem with these units, i have the 2900 and Pioneer 757i which are very good players so not in any rush to change ;)

BTW: i like your Sound towers good choice i have 2 of them Stands Unique,

30. pcavelle

pcavelle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    God only knows what's going on there Neil! As you know I also have a 3910 & have played almost nothing but DVD -R's without a single problem like this.

With older Denon's (like the 2900) I know they were fussier with brands of disks than the current ones - I had a 2800 and could only use Riteks, for example.

I have noticed that the disks come out of the player quite warm and I do not have 10cm above mine.

Paul