Denon 3910 problems: Audio

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Krazykaj, Nov 5, 2004.

1. Krazykaj

Krazykaj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    [font=verdana, arial, helvetica]Hi, first post, though i've been reading for a while :thumbsup: . great forum.

First, I just want to say that the 3910 is a great machine. Video and audio overall is perfect.

But I have come across, so it seems, a 'glitch' in the DVD player.

The setup is a 3910 connected to a Z9 via iLink/IEEE1394/Firewire using the bundled cable.

Now, the following only seems to have happened so far on DVD videos, in particular:

Abyss
    Predator 2
    The Colour Purple
    And I now sit and watch every movie waiting for the glitch, ruins the experience!

The problem is, at random, the audio seems to cut out for a split second. This cannot be reproduced in the same spot on the DVD, it just seems to happen here, there, anywhere, whenever. It happened roughly 10 times on the mentioned DVD's.

I also know, or am 99.99% certain it is not the Z9. Reason being, the Z9 always has a signal input and it doesn't flicker as if signal is lost. Also, the cut-out is too quick to be the Z9 loosing the signal. It seems to me that the 3910, in its processing seems to be adding these glitches to the actual audio signal itself, or there is something in the iLink connection not setup right, by me or by Denon.

Are there any possible ways I can test this more thoroughly?

It also wasn't, i don't think, to do with the DVD's physically (in terms of bad condition) I have played other DVD's with many more scratches and they worked fine, perfect audio.

I am thinking of hooking up the 3910 via coax, to see what happens, but I prefer not to have to sit through ‘Predator 2’ again, (I borrowed it from the video store, and hope never to see it again, it was bad :laugh: ) and so far this 'glitch' has not happened on any movie I like (thankfully).

But nevertheless, I do not want to use coax or optical connections, even if they work ok. I want the iLink connection, which, at the moment, for me seems to have a small, but annoying problem.

This problem has not occurred on playing CD's, DVD Audio or SACD.

Please let me know what you think, or if anyone else may have stumbled across something similar.

Is there a contact at Denon that I should try, to see what they think?

Note: I am in Australia with region 4 PAL DVD’s, and the Aussie Model of the 3910, though I don’t see how this would make a difference.

Cheers
    KJ

[EDIT] Toy Story 2, it just happened on this DVD as well :mad: [EDIT]
    [/font]

2. andy_pandy

andy_pandy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What you have discovered isn't a 'Glitch' it is what Denon players do....!!!! Unless you want to watch every film with your butt cheeks clenched waiting for the moment it stops, pauses, etc etc take it back while you can and get something else that doesn't have Denon written on the front. I have just got a full refund from Denon for my 2900 and contray to what they say to you they are fully aware of the issues.
    Take it back now......!!!!!

3. AML

AML

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +229
    Thats a bit harsh. If you have problems with Denons less than perfect i link, try using a coaxial or optical cable instead. If the problems still occurs, then take it back.

Since this i link only works between denon products, its possible that it isnt up to any set standards the way coaxial and optical are.

4. Krazykaj

Krazykaj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I do not think that this is correct. I am sure that the 'iLink' connection is a universal standard, (set by sony??). It is the 'Denon Link' that is only compatible with Denon products, hence the name. I am using iLink, not Denon link.

And second, i do like the 3910 and i would prefer not to get rid of it :) and i do not believe that Denon cannot help this problem, or that it comes part and parcel with the machine or any Denon product.

I would like to keep using iLink connectivity, as stated above. Once i've used it, i do not want to go back using analog connections and/or coax or optical, you can read why here: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?threadid=461268&referrerid=7459668

but anyway, on topic, is there any other reason why this could happen?
    A way to fix it?

cheers
    KJ

5. andy_pandy

andy_pandy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You don't like advice do you....!!!!
    AML - I may have been a bit harsh but this is after 9 months of hassle from Denon and after spending £800 I expect a bit better service than being told 'we know about the problems but there is a new model out soon'. That model is the 3910 and would you believe it there have been faults logged on here since literally tha day it came out... :eek:
    It isn't ALL 3910's but if you have a faulty one there is NOTHING Denon will or can do to help. So again Krazykaj take it back and get a relacement and also read the advice from AML if you insist on having a 3910.
    You have been fully warned so don't come back here in 3 months time with an even longer list of films you can't watch because it will get worse...CD's will also start to go.
    You ask if there is a contact at Denon....they won't talk to you anyway because they know about the faults.
    Good luck compiling a list of films you can't watch.....it isn't the disk as you seem to have realised, hopefully the penny will drop and you will realise it is the 3910 that is faulty.... :smashin:

6. karkus30

karkus30
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,261
    I get this 'glitch' on my 6 month old 2800, the first time it happened I thought it was a simple disc error, but it seems to happen on several discs that my previous Philips machine had no problems with.

Now Im wondering............... :confused:

7. Krazykaj

Krazykaj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Believe me, i take what you say seriously. You are saying that I should return the 3910 completely, not even get a new one to see if the problem is gone. And this I would probably do, but unfortunately, I cannot (long 6 month story, don't ask :) )

The 3910 is here to stay with me, well at least for a while, which, is why I was hoping for possible help with the problem and not being told it is just full of faults that cannot be fixed and to just return it. This helps me very little and is a bit disheartening. Plus I personally do not find the 3910 all that bad, (this could be a problem with me maybe :)) though neither, it seems, do many others.

Nevertheless;

If there is nothing I can do with this iLink connection at the moment, yes, I shall have to go back to coax or optical connections, I agree. But I was hoping to explore all possibilities first before writing it off, in hope that Denon might bring out some firmware that can fix it if there is a real problem. I have contacted Denon, so we'll see; I may get luck with a reply.

Cheers

KJ

8. JetJockey

JetJockey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

I believe that the 1305 is the so called "matching" amp/receiver for the 3910, However......................

I understand that SACD can only be sent over firewire (at the moment). The 1305 does not have a firewire input does it???

Is it advisable therefore to wait for a new Denon receiver that does have firewire input, or does such a machine exist allready??

Thanks, Gerald. :)

9. gandley

gandley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +269
    Ok had this issue as well with the 3910. with SACD the signal never drops. it is always constant. with some movies the audio does drop via i-link if your not using a denon amp. I reinstalled the 3910 and this issue went away with almost all discs.
    Its funny but it only happened with dolby digital not DTS

Have USA version off bugslife, DD dropped signal yet the DTS audio transfer was perfect????.

As there is no real benefit for movies between I-link and coax its not a big deal as SACD is quite stunning from the 3910.
    But the dropouts in sound are annouying for films in i-link mode

Denon are set to release a new firmware soon that corrects a few issues and i would not be suprised if this gets fixed along with the slight ync delay.(think its ync)

10. andy_pandy

andy_pandy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I appreciate what your saying, when I had the same problems I was hoping a magic fix would come along and that Denon would take it seriously....unfortunately not. The players that do work - and there are some out there are fantastic (this is why I say take it back and at least get a replacement), the CD playback on my 2900 was amazing, the picture quality was to die for, BUT, and it is a big but, for £800 I expect to be able to watch a film with friends round and not sit there praying it won't stop, freeze, and basically embarass me. For that reason I have decided to get Arcam, same quality CD and picture (maybe even better as it's all newer technology) but less embarassing when friends come round.
    Can you not 'drop' it and claim off your house insurance... :eek:
    Anyway good luck.....Denon will bring out new firmware but it will never be fixed if the fundementals of the machine don't work.....it will only be temporary, believe me I have been there.... :suicide:

11. Krazykaj

Krazykaj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    yeah, now that you say it, that seems to be the case with me as well, it only seems to be on DD tracks, nothing else. Is there any reason why this would be? because really, i thought the whole point of iLink is to be sending the raw signal to the amp for decoding. The DVD player should be doing nothing to the audio signal at all. Odd.

fingers crossed :)

point taken :) i also have had, a 'very unfortunate' situation with the Z9, the whole story is on other forums, so, believe me, after the 6 month experience and still no real progression, i have very little faith in hardware that already contains bugs to be ever fully fixed. We, the consumer can only hope.
    Though i still don't understand, and it always amazes me; don't these companies, especially with such big releases, test thier machines fully with different equipment and test their machines again, and then do some more testing after that, to make sure everything is ok? i'd personally be embarrassed to release a machine (eg. the 5900 originaly, when first released) that requires so many fixes and that had such major flaws.

anyway, :hiya: too much whinging . . .

on topic, regards to DD and iLink and 3910 and the problem, does anyone know why this would be so? is there something in the way DD in put on DVD's that may be of cause?

thanks

Cheers
    KJ

12. gandley

gandley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +269
    No, as the pioneer 868i has no problems with DD and i-link.
    and as the denon can play SACD and DTS tracks no problem somthing else is up

13. gandley

gandley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +269
    Evidently there is a bug in the MR firmware that affects DD and the I-link. which might explain why some people have it working OK if there machine is not MR.(like many USA peeps)

Hopefully the next release will sort this issue as it is just a firmware issue.