Denon 3910 Problem?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by AML, Feb 18, 2005.

1. AML

AML

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +228
    Im extremely happy with this player and enjoy not only being able to play my entire multyregion collection on it but in 1080i too!

Still, there are times when im watching a DVD and suddenly part of the picture will go all blocky and loose the picture.
    Im not talking about macro blocking, something else?

Usually a small part of the picture, a few lines will loose the pic. similar to when u have a scratch on the disk, but the disks i use are new and in perfect condition.

This problem us very brief and usually only once throughout a movie. Not always, and never in the same place, as i have tried playing the same parts more than once and nothing happened. It cant be the disks so it must be the player. Does anyone know what this is and how to fix it?

Any help appreciated

2. AML

AML

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +228
    anyone? im sure some one knows what im talking about. Is this something i can fix with a firmware update?
    :lease:

3. loonatic

loonatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Can't be of any real help only to say that I have never seen this problem on my player but I use 720p not 1080i.

What is you display device ? have you tried 720p ? if so does it still occur ?

Cheers, Lee

4. AML

AML

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +228
    I have tried 720p but only for short perods of time. I dont think this is a resolution problem.

And I dont think it has anything to do with my plasma either. It only happens when im watching DVDs. like I said, a few lines will break up and become blocky. A bit like when you have a damaged disk or when digital TV looses the signal during a storm. The picture can go blocky in some parts. I feel that it might be a problem with the transfer of the picture from the disk to the DVD player.

Cant be sure though.

5. g34771

g34771

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have experienced same thing, small part of picture goes blocky for a very short period of time. Have experienced this on both 1080i and 720p. Am using Pio 434 display. Have no idea what's wrong, but had thought it was the DVD player picking up faults on DVD's.

6. AML

AML

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +228
    Nice to hear im not the only one! :rolleyes:

This has to be a problem with the players. Im sure its something that can be fixed with a firmware update or something like that.

7. spl23

spl23

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +385
    I've seen this too, on 2 2910s and 2 3910s. I always assumed it was just the pickup glitching slightly - these players are *hugely* sensitive to even slightly dirty or scratched discs, and I think this is just another sign of it!

8. Winnie Pooh

Winnie Pooh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Today I may have seen a similar effect with ‘Pirates of the Caribbean’ first time and not reproducible. After 2/3 of the film I have seen 4 coloured rectangular blocks in the centre of the screen for almost 1 second! Three red ones and one green one. Playing the part back and forth has not repeated the effect and it was actually the first time I have seen this happening. But what does that really mean within films with a length of more than 3600s?

I really doubt that this has something to do with the quality of the player. I presume that it has something to do with the copy protection of the DVD introduced by the industry to take the pìss out of the idiots buying expensive DVD-players and buying DVD‘s for collectors purpose. I am not convinced that the Denon 3910 and others are able to handle copy protections like defect sectors and CSS encoding without artifacts because they are built to expect proper type of media according to the industrial standards and not to the defective DVD’s which can be purchased with copy protection! :mad:

9. Family Guy

Family Guy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Never know...what other sources do you watch at 1080i...? Could well be the plasma. I think you need to try the DVD player on another source at 1080i just to iron out that possibility...

10. AML

AML

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +228
    I did play my Xbox at 720p (soul calibur) and it didnt do any of that. But play time is short compared to a movie.

There is no other way to test my plasma.
    Actually, I just realised that i watch digital HDTV here every day (japanese HDTV) and never seen that happen before.
    Only once when the picture was bad due to weather. (a typhoon) that only happened on one occasion.
    I watch HDTV at 1125i (1080i) and ive never seen what ive seen on the 3910. It MUST be the player.
    Like i said this happened on new disks as well as older ones, and I keep my disks imaculate.