Denon 3910 or HTPC?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by xrzhang, Dec 30, 2004.

1. xrzhang

xrzhang

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I want to update my DVD to Denon 3910 which costs me about USD1000. I can buy a pretty good HTPC with USD1000 (without display). How can I choose between 2 items?

I am worry about the noise and the OS(slow) of HTPC ;)

2. AML

AML

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +229
    A PC can do more than just play DVDs so it could be better to have the HTPC.

I already have a PC so I bought the 3910. I still feel the 3910 is better as a DVD player hooked up to my 42 fujitsu plasma through DVi at 1080i.
    The software on my PC is rubbish therefore the picture quality on my PC is not very good.

Do you know of any decent software that HTPC's use?

3. vonhosen

vonhosen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Do a search here on powerstrip & theatertek

4. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    An HTPC can give you a better picture .. but to achieve it can take a lot of playing around with graphics cards, drivers, post-processors (FFDSHOW specifically), dealing with 50hz/60hz issues (if you have a mixture of NTSC and PAL) .. trying to resolve problems with stuttering, tearing, audio drops etc. etc.

Yes, I'm painting a bleak picture here, but having spent many weeks playing and many hundreds of pounds on the kit I'm now thinking a decent player plus a good scaler is a lot more user-friendly. This wasn't my first HTPC BTW, and I'm no n00b to PCs at all, the problem is that you need to get several pieces of software to play well together, and each can be subject to their own little idiosyncracies, to put it politely. ;)

The benefits of an HTPC, apart from PQ, is the fact that you get get software that skips over ads, trailers, copyright warnings etc. and jumps straight to the movie or main menu. You can rip to the hard disk and play off there, you can take DVDs and join them together, eg. LOTR EEs.

OTOH, most of those benefits can be had by ripping the DVD on a 'normal' PC, removing unwanted rubbish and burning, usually you won't even need to use dual-layer.

I also have a Pio 868 and am now seriously looking at getting an iScan or Lumagen for shear ease of use and lack of issues.

5. xrzhang

xrzhang

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you for your comments!

BTW

Dear AML,

How much in 3910 cost in Japan?

6. AML

AML

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +229
    My 3910 cost me 100.000 yen or 500 quid. And comes in Gold.