Denon 3910 or HD-DVD and bluray?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by screemer, Apr 28, 2007.

1. screemer

screemer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +53
    What do u think? I can either get a decent upscaling dvd such as the Denon, or get the HD-DVD add on for my xbox and a ps3 for the Bluray for a little more. I am thinking of the latter so i am kinda future proof but not sure how good thy really are?? Any ideas?

2. SNICK

SNICK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    depends on what screen you currently have - and whether you have an extensive back catalogue of SD DVD titles.

The Denon will do a brilliant job with any SD disc - and upscale (probably better than a current Hi-def player) - to 1080p. Saying that, if you have a 1080p 40+ inch screen - and can afford BR/HD discs, then that may be the way to go.

If your screen is less than 40" - then I'd personally go for a good SD machine - but saying that I love Hi def through my PS3 :) - oh decisions decisions:confused:

3. screemer

screemer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +53
    Night mare isn't it. I got a Sony 32" V2000 LCD. I am more tempted to go for the HD options really.

4. Timbo21

Timbo21

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +332
    Neither of the above will do a very good job at playing SD DVD's. So depends how important that is for you. Additionally the 3910 will give you much better sound than either of them.

I have to say that HD on a 32" TV can be hard to discern against SD. On my Philips 32" LCD it's hard to tell any difference between the scart SD output and the HDMI HD with Sky HD. On my projector the difference is clear tho; with the larger screen.

5. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,276
    Not the Denon.