1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Denon 3910 Multi-region selection problem

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Mark Antony, Jan 28, 2005.

1. Mark Antony

Mark Antony

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    Does anyone know if there's a way to select which region you want to view on a multi region enabled 3910 (perhaps in a sub-menu).

As i've found two region 1 disc's, so far, that won't play - it comes up wrong region, despite the fact that all other R1 discs ive tested have played fine.

I've tried switching the machine on and off, but makes no difference. I have firmware 6 and Denon UK installed it, along with the MR hack.

M

2. Miniholic

Miniholic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +398
    Which discs are they? It could be RCE rearing it's ugly head, but the two RCE discs I have in my collection (Knights Tale & Men in Black 2 - first discs I tried after flashing the firmware) both work ok on my 3910, which was modded using the firmware hosted by Barend.

3. Mark Antony

Mark Antony

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    So far it's the criterion short cuts (both discs), cannonball run and the re-issue's of universal's billy madison & happy gilmore - all R1.

M

4. sdk

sdk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i read you post and i went and tested my copy of short cuts criterion and it works on my 3910, so i don't know what might be the problem. Maybe some kind of fault happened when you installed it?

5. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,261
    Obvious I know but have you tried using a Region 1 disc that will play in your machine, remove it and try one of the discs that won't play?

6. Mark Antony

Mark Antony

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    The thing is denon HQ installed both the firmware update and the multi-region! What firmware do you have sdk? I already tried that rasczak, but thanks anyway.

M

7. sdk

sdk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am not sure what firmware i have, did not install it myself. But are you getting noise when playing your dvd,s cause i think i am. Makes the picture a little blurry.

8. Eddy Boy

Eddy Boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Some how I doubt Denon installed the M.R only region 2 frirmware.

9. Mark Antony

Mark Antony

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    They didn't install it after all, it was what I was led to believe at the time, which I have since found to be untrue - hence my presence in the thread trying to get -8 MR firmware!

My confusion lay in the fact that some R1 disc's played, as well as R2, so I didn't notice it until I found a few R1 discs that didn't play.

M

10. Mose

Mose

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +149
    Some other odd things....I have got the Region 2 version of "The Grudge (Original) and a Region 1 copy of the same. Have also got a Region 1 version of the remake and all three of them wont play. Wierd I know, more wierd than that is the Region 1 copy of the original Japanese "The Ring" which wont play either.

I have tried some other disc which I know to be Region 1 RCE as they all play without any problems at all. I have close to 50 DVD+R concert disc which play effortlessly.

Anybody got any thoughts??

11. Seth Gecko

Seth Gecko
    retired member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +193
    Truly odd - the only one I have is the Region 1 remake of Ju-on and having just checked it, it plays fine on mine using the Barend posted firmware.

The obvious thing is this is Columbia Tri-star, which seem to be the only RCE enforced disks I know of (although that's not saying they're the only ones).

Haven't personally had any issues though.