1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Denon 3910 is a Winner !!!

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by skinboots, Apr 17, 2005.

1. skinboots

skinboots
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    against all advice: I bought my denon 3910 yesterday, and to my amazement - it passes blacker than black and has so little Macroblocking, that I am very happy indeed. and it is connected to a panasonic plasma pw6, which shows up panasonic s97 and denon 2910 as MB-Hell. the denon 3910 with firmware 6609-9 seems perfect for my setup - and I can at last recommend a dvd-player besides the samsung 745, even for the panasonic-plasma owners.
    kind regards
    thomas

2. Damian1978

Damian1978

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +264
    Hmmm.....where did you get it from?

I would have liked to have kept mine if it did pass blacker than black.

Strange how it upscales over component....never thought it would do that.

3. skinboots

skinboots
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    got it from mediamarkt dresden prohlis (Germany) für €1049; I didn't know whether the 6609-9 firmware was any good. but I'm happy now, that I at least tried it. this firmware is code free and available somewhere on this forum.
    kind regards
    thomas

4. Likvid

Likvid
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I sold my Denon 3910, the player sucks plain and simple with my plasma screen.

Major macroblocking issues on my screen due to the corrupt Faroudja chipset that are floating around in most players today...

What should i buy instead?

5. Damian1978

Damian1978

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +264
    Hmm....tricky one.

The Pioneer DV868i is supposed to be free from macroblocking issues as it uses a Pioneer designed video scaler.

I've got a Marantz DV9500 on order. Its a bit of a "upgrade" in £££ from the Denon and I sure hope there's no macroblocking on that!

6. Likvid

Likvid
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    You can't go wrong with the Marantz, however it's too expensive for me.

Also it feels a bit reluctant to buy a high-end DVD player now when HD-DVD is just around the corner....

Prices on current players will fall like a stone in price, i was quite happy i could sell mine to the same price i bought it 6 months ago for.

I would liked to jump on D-VHS but the format is dying i believe which is sad.

7. Bruce1310

Bruce1310
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all

I'm affraid the 3910 does not upscale over component. What is misleading is that the display on the player may say that you are outputting at 720p or other but the player is only ever sending a standard interlaced or progressive signal over component. I guess this is largely due to licencing regulations and copy protection issues.

B.K

8. mr_incredible

mr_incredible

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Im getting the Pioneer DV668Avs soon but originally I was going for the Denon 2910. I think the Denons are very much hit and miss. There does seem to be alot of people who complain about the macroblocking so what confuses me is why Denon dont fix the problem? This is an email I recieved from them regarding the issue:

"This is the limitation of DVD technology or more exactly the Mpeg encoding. Because you are dealing with DVD the amount of space on the disc limits the resolution of the image so once it is increased in size by your TV also any scaling or de-interlacing perfomed you begin to see it.

Some display/DVD combinations show this in more detail then others due to the TV’s own image processing.

This brings us to two key solutions.

Either use a powerful real time processor like the Realta chip in the DVD-A1XV that inteligently looks at this sort of thing and invents additional pixels to smooth the image but not reduce the quality.

Or move over to a new format like Blu-ray or HD-DVD where with the additional disc space you can have higher resloution images to start with with less macroblocking.

In short the 2910 would offer you a higher resolution image but at times it may show up badly encoded films which is macroblocking."

So there you have it. They are basically saying its the discs fault which I can understand to a certain degree but I have to say there have been too many reports of this fault with Denons Faroudja chipset that I didnt want to take the risk. Pioneers players dont seem to suffer from macroblocking so Im going to get one of those instead. However erntebrot if your player is performing fine then reap the rewards as it appears you are in the minority. Im happy for you mate!

9. skinboots

skinboots
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    bruce1310, you are absolutely right - after causing much confusion over at avsforum I have to admit, that while the 3910 says 720p on the display it is actually "only" displaying 525p on my pw6.
    mr incredible - denons answer is very misleading, as macroblocking is a "fault" of the faroudja deinterlacer, visible at its worse on the panasonic s97; last night I watched "pitch black" with the combo 3910 and pw6 and there was no macroblocking; even when the dvd was struggeling and showing low bitrate ! you are right about the pioneer not having problems with macroblocking; but if you look at www.hometheaterhifi.com under "benchmark", the pioneer 59avi (in europe the 868) has problems of its own. I insist - go and at least try the 3910.
    very kind regards
    thomas