Denon 3910 Firmware Query

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Mose, Jan 31, 2005.

1. Mose

Mose

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +149
    I've been getting problems with my Denon 3910s progressive scan feature, playing via a Sagem Axium HD50. RGB output is fine, S-Video output is fine, but progressice scan pictures give a strange green tint, more noticeable on fleshtones.

I got onto Sagem about this, and they will be updating the software of the DLP set, but they also suggested that I contact Denon and enquire as to any new firmware upgrades or fixes. Easier said than done.

I contacted Denon, and to be honest they were very unhelpful. I read out the details of firmware from my machine,

• ESS 6609-5
    • Make Day 831
    • DRV 030825
    • System 6767-2
    • DSP 6770
    • CNE 20040609
    Denon said these were up to date and that I did not need to "worry" myself about software/firmware upgrades. I did make the point of telling them that I found their advice very unhelpful.

I am curious to know whether or not other 3910 owners have had the same issues with Denon. Whether or not Denon have supplied the necessary firmware upgrades. Or whether it is a question of finding a download and trying the firmware upgrades for yourself.

I have read here that the 6609-6 upgrade is available on a site for download. Since my machine is already multi-region, does anybody know if this will affect my player in anyway with regard to multi-region.

Also, if there are significant changes with the new firmware, what are the changes, and why do Denon seem so uncaring about me wanting to achieve the best performance from my machine.

Any help most appreciated!!!

2. Bruce1310

Bruce1310
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Mose

I am having similar problems to you with my 3910...green tint on progressive feeds. I emailed Denon about Firmware updates and they were as unhelpfull as they were for you...also told me they would have nothing to do with MR firmware.

6609-5 is not the latest firmware in the UK...6609-6 is. I believe that if you install this it will remove the MR ability of the previous firmware. Somewhere on this forum one of the members metions Denon installing 6609-6 as well as a firmware hack....Denons response to my email contradicts this.

It really seems strange that Denon Uk's customer care is so un-interested. In other parts of the world this doesn't seem to be the case and regular updates are made available.

I am going to try calling them tomorrow...I'll let you know how they respond.

Bruce

3. dUnKle

dUnKle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,460
    I have a 1910 and they where again unhelpful with questions I posed them

said send the machine back to them - explained only DVD player I had (its not but that aint the point) and what should I watch in mean time - they just tutted and asked if wanted my problem sorted or not

hung up on them

4. Mark Antony

Mark Antony

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    There are many current threads on this topic, if you type 3910 and firmware into the search function they'll all pop up.

Instead of emailing Denon, talk to their consumer technical support dept, via the denon uk switchboard, the latest firmware is now -8, you have to take your machine to them to do it and yes it overwrites the Multiregion hack, the current multiregion firmware is only -5.

The green "push" your getting is possibly to do with your display device switching to the incorrect colorspace and not necessarily the 3910's fault try reading the last 20 pages of http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?s=&postid=5094859#post5094859 and again use the search function on that forum with 3910 and colorspace.

M

5. Bruce1310

Bruce1310
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Mark

I was under the impression from a previous post of yours that you had version -6 with the MR hack?

Bruce

6. Mark Antony

Mark Antony

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    I was under that impression too, until a few days ago when I found some region 1 discs, 10 so far..., that wouldn't play - it's playing some R1 discs (which is why I didn't realise until now) but not all.

It turns out that Denon UK didn't do what I asked them to and when they did the -6 upgrade it wasn't to a multiregion version. They have now said I need to speak to my dealer who can get the MR hack off their rep, but at the mo the latest MR firmware is still -5 which is available for download from one of this forums posters anyway - so back to square one until someone gets hold of this later version, I suggest pestering your dealer...

M

7. Bruce1310

Bruce1310
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Mark

I will do so. I see that there is a version 7 MR being put on machines in Singapore...but that is strictly Denon doing the upgrade, so no disks around for the firmware to be copied.

Bruce

8. Mark Antony

Mark Antony

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    Exactly, just ask your dealer to speak to his Denon rep that you want a multi-region version of the latest firmware -8, call him every 2 days, I'm going to, the more people pester them the quicker we'll get it.

What annoys me the most is that it's obvious that Denon themselves create this firmware and the hacks to go with it, why they have interlinked the two is beyond me - on most players from most companies you press a few buttons or use a specific disc and it changes the multi-region only, but by linking it to the main firmware it screws up the MR every time this machine need's a firmware fault fix - and considering this is version 8 for a machine thats been available for less than 4 months that's a lot of bugs...

M

9. Bruce1310

Bruce1310
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I couldn't agree more. I'm glad you made that point. It really gets my back up that it is Denon themselves who make the MR firmware but then refuse to discuss it or acknowledge it. I bought a MR DVD player with MR firmware produced by Denon yet I am having to live with all sorts of bugs because an up to date version firmware is not being produced. Also, if Denon Singapore can provide MR why can't Denon UK?!?

Sorry got into ranting mode but it does get to me.

Bruce

10. Mark Antony

Mark Antony

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    Absolutely, totally ridiculous, I could understand they're non-acknowledgement if the latest MR firmware was readily available at around the same time, but it's not.

They really need to get their act together, preferably having a different way of enabling this MR hack. If not I shall be thinking twice before buying another of their products - I mean there's £50 dvd players that you can buy that work properly, maybe not as well, but bug-free and play all disc's by pressing a few remote buttons - this is an £800.00 piece of hardware - we expect better for this money.

M

11. Bruce1310

Bruce1310
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Lets hope someone from Denon reads these forums. I like your idea of bugging dealers to get hold of Denon reps. The more we do this and the more of us that do it the better!

Bruce

12. Engine Joe

Engine Joe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I pestered my dealer today and they stated in no uncertain terms that they would not do it (indeed, they suggested that they "could not distribute it" even if they had the updated firmware). Someone somewhere has a misconception of the law, but whatever.

So I'm trying Denon directly again... I know it won't do any good, but what else can I do (aside from wait until hopefully someone gets it). It just annoys me that I have a CD-R with the vers. -8 firmware on it sent to me from Denon (arrived today), which corrects the black level bug and puts in HDMI 1.1 and I can't use it. :(

13. Mose

Mose

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +149
    Bruce, Mark.....amny thanx for replies.

I'm a fond believa that if a manufacturer sells a product, then they should be able to give you an "after-sales service", failing that the strange sensation that they then feel in the seat of their pants is me trying to shove my 3910 where the sun doesnt shine.

Joking aside, I was not at all impressed by the way that Denon handled my enquiry yesterday, so decided last night that I would take this higher and complain.

Regarding the 6609-6 upgrade, I have been told that once this is installed it DOES overwrite the current MR software, but the machine remains MR. It appreantly struggles with RCE discs as a result, how accurate htis is I dont know cos I havent tried the install.

Regarding the strange green tint on progressive scan, I now realise that this is a more common problem that I thought. I was convinced it was a problem with my Sagem Axium, but I have been reading that the 1910, 2910 and 3910 all suffer with this issue. Some owners have had firmware upgrades and have managed to combat this.

So my question really is, if you spend your drinking vouchers on high-end sources, and they don't QUITE do what they are supposed to do, then the manufacturer should be bending over to put these issues right?? As owners of these machines, are we entitled to get our machines upgraded, or "take it back to the dealer" as requested??

I strongly feel that someone from Denon will be wearing mine soon!!!

14. Bruce1310

Bruce1310
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Guys

It just gets more frustrating. It's made worse by the fact that I really love my player...just the little bugs (which seem fixable if they'd provide the firmware). I am going to contact both Denon and my dealer this morning and see if I can get anywhere.

I see reading the long saga about the Singapore MR firmware upgrade, it was eventually solved by complaining to Denon head office.

I feel like hitting my head against a wall so shall try contact Denon Uk now...

Bruce

15. Mose

Mose

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +149
    I'll be contacting them as well at some stage today. Let us know how you get on.

16. Bruce1310

Bruce1310
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Stupid question, but are firware upgrades cumulative? ie. version 8 fixes the problems that version 7 did plus some new ones?

Or does it just address certain issues....ie. you'd need to do all upgrades?

Bruce

17. Mose

Mose

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +149
    I've always been lead to believe that each new firmware/software upgrade includes everything the previous version did. I might be wrong though.

18. Bruce1310

Bruce1310
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Couldn't get through to Denon so called my dealer. He's agreed to get hold of his Denon rep...re the whole MR firmware thing. Will get back to me tomorrow. We shall see if the dealer can get any info.

Bruce

19. Mark Antony

Mark Antony

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    As far as I'm aware it's a cumulative fix, each new version fixes the old stuff too.

Am gonna be speaking to my dealer shortly...

M

20. Mose

Mose

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +149
    Thinks its about time that Denon got the Macro Blocking issue sorted out as well. Its not all that obvious on my screen when I am playing discs, but I KNOW it is there and it shouldnt be!

21. Mark Antony

Mark Antony

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    The macroblocking problem is one thing that isn't Denon's fault, it's to do with the Faroujda chip, and F have been able to greatly reduce it - but not cure it on the 3910 from previous model's, calibrating your TV with AVIA/Digital video essentials helps reduce it significantly too.

My dealer has been spoken too - he'll be speaking to his rep today...

M

22. Mose

Mose

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +149
    I have both of those disca here and they have been a tremendous help in calibrating and configuring the TV. I know that the Denons have a lot of onboard enhancements, but I have not even ventured there yet.

23. Mark Antony

Mark Antony

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    Best to just leave it at 0 ire/normal black level for hdmi/dvi and all other settings flat, I do and get a great picture.

M

24. Mose

Mose

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +149
    Just spoke to the dealer who sold me the 3910, very helpful.....He told me that athough they sell their 3910s as multi region players, these are already multi region when they are shipped. I expressed my disappointment at Denon's very handsoff approach.

Called Denon again and spoke with somebody who was a bit better to deal with than yesterday. He told me that the latest firmware upgrade is available, but there seems to be some conflicting understanding over who is supposed to do the upgrade. So I am awaiting a call back

25. Demon00

Demon00

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Please let us know!!!

26. Mark Antony

Mark Antony

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    If you guys want to talk to someone, try Edward in Denon UK technical support on 01753 888447. Just make sure to say you want the multiregion version of the -8 firmware and if he tells you to speak to your dealer's rep, speak to them or ask him to and to call you back. If the rep is unhelpfull go back to him as effectively the buck stops with him or his boss to get it sorted out - they are technical support after all!

They can't expect us to either have a machine that plays all dvd's, like 99.9% of dvd players available from £30 to £70K, or works bug-free and doesn't play foreign disc's - we want both and it's not to much to ask.

M

27. Bruce1310

Bruce1310
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm about to go ape-s**t. I have just spoken to Edward at Denon regarding -8 MR. Refused to comment apart from saying as far as he knew the only MR firmware available is -5. This completely contradicts what Mose was told??

Then asked him about region 2 firmware and what was available...said were only up to -6!! So now I know even less. I am almost at the point of returning the player.

Bruce

28. Mark Antony

Mark Antony

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    Bruce you can call them back and say that you know that a -8 is available because anybody with a 3910 serial number can download it from the Denon USA website!

If it's not available in region 2 now, it will be very shortly...ask to speak to the head of customer services of Denon UK, if your dealer's not being any help, and just state the facts that you want a fully-functioning multiregion player, via a firmware update, and if they are not prepared to do that then you will be returning your Denon to your retailer as it's faulty, which it is, and buying a product from another manufacturer who actually cares about providing a quality bug-free product and knows how to deal with multi-region, discretly but honestly.

You'd think Denon never supplied anything MR given their attitude, which if it were true they wouldn't sell a single player in this country, no-one wants a machine that only plays R2 discs - even if they only have one R1 dvd they need to play.

M

29. Mose

Mose

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +149
    OK......Denon have really effed me about today. I was expecting a call back from them regarding a firmware upgrade and where I could get hold of one. A woman called me back and asked me exactly why I wanted it, so without getting too technical I tried to explain that I am getting problems with the picture via different outputs. Basically I was told that a firmware upgrade would not improve this, and that if anything my machine should be sent away to be looked at. NOT ON YOUR LIFE MISSUS!!!!!

So.....after a couple of fags and some caffeine to chill me out a bit, I called them back and this time spoke to a guy who told me that any firmware upgrade, if it was available, would have to be installed by a qualified engineer, otherwise the warranty of the machine would be void. I was advised to return the player to the dealer.

SOOOO.....I call the dealer and he told me that if I were to bring it back, it would be sent away to be looked at, leaving me without my 3910 for as long at it took for it to be sorted out, and without a replacement.

I think I sense another mug of caffeine coming on. Am not 'appy!!!

30. Mark Antony

Mark Antony

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    I may have found a MR -8 firmware solution, apparantly all the australian and singapore firmware's are region-free as standard. I've just tried downloading the latest -8 firmware from denon usa, http://www.usa.denon.com/support/upgrades.asp and the version that downloaded was region 2 only (I presumed it would be region 1 only, but obviously by entering the serial number it realises which region it is)...therefore if someone from these regions can download the firmware from the denon USA site by entering there serial number they may well get a region free latest firmware that everyone can use!

If someone from these regions can try, that'd be great!

M