1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Denon 3910 + 3805 freeview hook up? how?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by devs, May 31, 2005.

Tags:
  1. devs

devs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Hi people I could really do with some help tonight as I tring and failing to hook up my freeview box...

I've got a 3910 and 3805 linked up to a sony hs20 projector. The only output on my old freeview box is scart so I've gone from scart into the 3910 yet can't get the signal sent through the projector? ;(

Any help would be greatly appreciated as I still pretty new to all this...

Cheers,

Devs.

2. gjc-ortho

gjc-ortho

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    Devs,

Pretty sure that the scart on the 3910 is output only. Which type of freview box do you have? If it has the option of outputting s video through the scart (eg. the humax), then you can plug the s video into the back of the 3805 and let that do the upconverting to component.

The other option that will give a slightly worse picture is to take just a composite feed from the scart and take this into the 3805.

However, the kit that I suspect will allow you the best quality picture on the HS20 (without going down the route of scalers,etc) is to get a RGB to component magic box of tricks and then take the component out to one of the component ins on the 3805.

After typing all of this I now realise that you haven't stated how you've got the HS 20 connected to the DVD player (?HDMI) and the 3805 (?multilead that came with the pj).

If the above is the case, then all the options stated are possible.

Cheers all

3. devs

devs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Hi mate,

Thanks for the reply!

I've just looked at the scart on the 3910 and it just says AV-1 no mention of input or output, I trust it must be output like you say.

Its just a good old ITV OnDigital Box that I've had kicking around for a long time it has a very limited amount of connections on the back just two scart sockets really one for the TV and one for a video.

I've got the HS20 hooked up via a HDMI lead.

I think I'm going to need a new digi box with svideo out, would this be my best option and are some boxes better than other or are they all pretty much the same?

Thanks,

Devs (million and one questions)

4. Eddy Boy

Eddy Boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Yep the DVD only has outputs.

If you go for a new box with S-Video you can go though the amp to the PJ this way you can also take the amps onscreen to the PJ as well which makes setup and little adjusments easier to make.

5. devs

devs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Cool thanks for the info mate. I've just been offered a Panasonic TU-CT30 thats got SVideo out i think so that should be a good route to take.

Cheers,

Devs.

6. devs

devs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Hi Guys I've just bought a Sony Freeview box (VTX-D800U) that has the ability of outputting s video through the scart (not yet figured out if this needs activating via the box, or if it just outputs by default?).

Anyway I'd like to hook this up to my 3805 via the following lead:

Scart plug to 2x RCA Plugs & S-VHS

My question is how? I thought I could just select one of the free inputs from the back of the 3805 and bingo? But that was too simple and did not work ;(

Any ideas,

Thanks,

Devs. ;)

7. devs

devs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Just discovered that the freeview box outputs svideo via the scart by default. So I now just need to figure out how connect it up via the 3805? Any help would be great guys...

Many thx,

Devs.

8. MPK

MPK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Are you sure the box is not capable of RGB? This would be the best option. S-video will make it easier connection wise though because the 3805 won't take RGB and you'd need an scart to component converter (JS Technologies, £140). If you're happy with svideo simply get a decent scart-to-s-video cable and hook it up to the 3805. This will be picture only though, so you'll have to find a way to transport sound. presumably, your freeview box doesn't have analog stereo outputs? if not, you'll also need an adapter that breaks out sound from the scart cable (which you'll stick into the box and the scart-to-s-video into that adapter). You can get both from Maplin.

9. devs

devs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Hi there and many thanks for the reply! I'm about to leave work now so I'll be in a better position to answer your questions then... However the box will output RGB yet I was under the impression that Svideo would give me better quality?

This is a picture of the lead that I bought over the weekend to hook the two up... Www.kr8iv.co.uk/cable.jpg I was hoping that this would carry both sound and video over to the 3805?

Cheers!

10. devs

devs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Okay guys any help with this would be great as its really doing my head in now ;(

My set up is as follows...

Denon 3910 DVD player linked up to a 3805 via d link then a hdmi lead from the 3910 to a Sony HS20 projector. I now want the hook up a freeview box via this scart to svid lead (http://Www.kr8iv.co.uk/cable.jpg) yet when I make the connection to either 'DBS' or 'TV' on the back of the 3805 I get no sound from the Amp or image to the HS20 just the default Denon Background? Am I right to connect to the amp or should I be going to the DVD player as its from there that the HDMI cable connects to the projector?

Any help please....!

Thanks,

devs.

11. Miniholic

Miniholic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +398
    How are you connecting the 3805 to your projector?

Maybe I'm misreading your post, but it sounds like the only connection to the projector is HDMI from your 3910. You also need to run either S-video or component from the 3805 (monitor out) to the projector in order to use the 3805 for video switching as the 3910 can only output a signal.

Which connections are you using for the freeview box? Are you using the optical input or analogue for audio?

I use a scart -> s-video cable and an optical audio connection from my Pioneer freeview box and then run s-video -> scart to my tv.

12. devs

devs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Hi Ian and thats a very good point and that was something that I was unsure about! the only conection to the PJ was via the 3910 and hdmi. I've now added an svideo to the PJ from the monitor output.

On the freeview box I've got this lead (http://www.kr8iv.co.uk/cable.jpg) running from the TV scart socket into my 3805's DBS sockets svid plus left and right audio.

Yet still no go - do you think it could be the lead?

Thanks again,

Devs :)

13. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    have you set the amp to use analogue audio not digital and have you set the sony box to output analogue audio?
    No offence but have you tried reading the manuals? the AMP one in particular?

14. devs

devs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    No offence taken mate, yes I've looked at all the manuals the amp one seems a little limited as it does not detail the configuration that I require. I've set the amp to output analogue audio via the hidden front panel controls. To my knowledge there are no options on the freeview box to output analogue audio?

Puzzled.

15. Miniholic

Miniholic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +398
    As HD syas, how have you set up the sony box? It might also need the output setting to S-video, I had to do this with my pioneer one. Try hooking the box up direct to a tv if you can and have a look at the settings.

Also double check the amp input assignment to make sure that you 3805 is not looking at the digital inputs when you switch to the TV/DBS input (p39 in the manual), you need to set the digital assignment to off.

Just had another thought, you could have the wrong lead, as you can get s-vid > scart and scart > s-vid, these are not the same as they are directional, some have a switch on them so you can use for both input and output, but most are purely one way or the other. Looking at the description on the front of the box in picture you posted I think this may be your problem.

16. devs

devs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Hi there Miniholic, I wish I would have seen your reply last night.

"It might also need the output setting to S-video"
    I gave Sony a call yesterday and they said it outputs svideo by default so no changes are need on the box. I did look anyway and the only options available are:

Scart Control/WSS: Choose between On, Scart Off, WSS Off and Off. (its currently set to on)

I need to check the 3805's to see if its looking for digital inputs. Thanks for that!

Regards the lead I've purchased, I also feeling a little dubious about it. Yet if you look at the packaging it says SCART PLUG - 2 X RCA PLUGS & S-VHS. Surly this is the configuration that I require? Out from the freeview via scart and into the 3805 via rca and svid.

I'm considering popping over to Maplins at Lunch and buying an scart > svideo and an optical audio lead. Do you think these will help to solve my problems?

Thanks!

17. MPK

MPK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    I think the cable should be ok as it looks like it's scart to s-video, not the other way around. I think the problem is with your 3805 setup. Firstly, make sure you have a component (YPbPr) cable in your Monitor Out connection to your projector. Then you obviously need to switch your projector input via the remote to show that input as your HDMI input will be different. Now you should see the 3805 menu on the screen of your projector and that makes it a whole lot easier to set up. Go to Digital In Assign and make sure that DBS is set to OFF. Obviously, you need to have connected the s-video cable to your DBS video inputs and the L/R phono plugs to the according audio inputs. Check that your Video Convert Mode is set to Auto and now you should have both video and audio.

And s-video is not as good quality as RGB. However, you can't connect RGB via scart directly to your amp as the amp only takes component (which is very similar, but not the same) so you need a scart to component converter for that. But try to get it to work with s-video first and see what the picture quality is like.

18. gjc-ortho

gjc-ortho

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
  19. devs

devs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Excellent many thanks MPK, I'll go home at lunch and see if that does the trick!

Cheers,

Devs. ;)

20. devs

devs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Hi again mate, I've just been home and tried your suggestions. Yet unless I'm being a mong and missing something fundamental I'm not getting any signal over to the projector ;(

I've tried hooking up the component (YPbPr) cable from the monitor on the 3805 over to the projector. I've also removed the HDMI lead to avoid any confusion. Digital In Assign on DBS is set to OFF and have connected the s-video cable to the 3805's DBS video inputs and the L/R phono plugs…

This is pretty confusing as I've tried all the input selections more than once on the PJ and to be honest it should auto pick up where the signal is coming from anyway. I still think it is some kind of miss config. on the 3805 as I'm far from an expert at using it as its still a new toy. Any further thoughts on what could be causing the problem?

Many Thanks,

Steve.

P.S. I was considering buying the lead that gjc-ortho
    mentioned above but feel it would be a waste of money as Maplins are usually a pain to return things too.

21. gjc-ortho

gjc-ortho

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    Devs,

Just had a thought when you said that you had no output from the amp at all.

Are the video circuits switched on in the amp??

With the remote in "amp" mode, there is a button on the bottom screen, 2nd row from the bottom, 2nd from the right marked "video off". Press that and see what is says on the screen of the amp. If it changes to "VIDEO ON" you're laughing!!! Otherwize, it's back to the drawing board :rolleyes:

Cheers all

22. devs

devs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Ummm good shout mate! It gives me a little more ammo to play with when I get home from work.

Cheers.

23. devs

devs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Okay please someone tell me that I'm getting to the bottom of this?...

The Video circuits were switched off on the amp and have now been enabled. yet the projector only recognises the signal from the 3805 when the 'system setup' is pressed?

3805:
    Video Input mode is set to: Auto
    Digital In Assign is set to: Off

HS20:
    Is set to component

Any further thoughts before the lot goes out the window!

Cheers,

Devs ;)

24. Miniholic

Miniholic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +398
    Well, that's a start mate, at least the output from the 3805 and the inputs on the projector are ok, just need to sort the freeview input. I presume you are still using the s-video lead to connect to the amp (looking again it does look like the right one - was tired and grasping at straws last night :rolleyes: )

If you are then the amp will need to upconvert to component for your projector to see a signal, have a look in the manual to see if you need to turn this feature on (I think this will be ok, the auto setting may have done it anyway).

Just had another look at the manual and it mentions component assignment, have a look to see if the amp is expecting the tv/dbs to be input using component - in the manual it looks like it might be video 3 (component?) as a default.

Are you getting sound yet?

25. MPK

MPK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Getting the menu screen on the projector means you're half way there! As mentioned earlier, the Video Convert Mode (under video setup) is best set to Auto, but that's default anyway. Then as someone mentioned before, try setting the Component Assign on DBS to Off. If you still don't get anything you'll have to start looking at the Freeview box. As someone mentioned earlier, have you tried hooking it up directly to the projector and going through the Settigns menu choosing s-video as outpout format? If that's done then all I can think of is the cable might be the wrong direction, but it should say on the pack scart to s-video (not s-video to scart). Presumably you don't have a switch for input/output.

Look at the bright side, at least after this whole ordeal you know how to setup your receiver :D

26. devs

devs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Miniholic I didn't spot your reply last night so I bobbed home this morning and tried what you suggested... And guess what... It didn't work ;(

"I presume you are still using the s-video lead to connect to the amp" yes mate I am.

"Are you getting sound yet?" Nope I don't have that luxury yet ;)

I've got the 3805 set to the following...

Input Setup > Digital In Assign
    Is set to DBS: OFF

Input Setup > Component In Assign
    Is set to DBS: Video 3

Input Setup > Video Input Mode
    Is set to DBS: S-video (Have tried everything else)

Cheers!

@ MPK I'll try your recommendations tonight when I get home... I going to figure it out tonight - I'm determined! I really had no idea it would be so complicated like you say this ordeal's a bit of a crash course into the wonderful world of AV! ;)

27. Miniholic

Miniholic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +398
    Think this might be your problem devs, change this setting to "DBS: off", as you aren't using the component input, but s-video. Video 3 refers to the third component input on the upper right hand side of back panel.

What I think is happening, is that as you have selected component in, the amp is ignoring the s-video input and the accompanying audio connections.

Might be a long shot, but it's worth trying. :)

28. devs

devs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Hi guys I've tried your recommendations and still no joy :(

I tried connecting the S-Video end of the lead from the Freeview box to the PJ without the RCA's plugged in and selected svid on the PJ but still no signal? Is there a quick test that I could do to double check the flow of this cable. It does state on the packaging that its correct but its now getting beyond a joke and I don't know who else to ask ;(

Anyway just a couple of questions before I top myself...

3805:

When in DBS mode what should the input mode be set to under the front flap? 'Analog Only' 'Analog' or 'Ext. In'?

Also on the 3805 when in DBS what should ' Video Select' be set to? ' Source' 'dbs' or 'V.AUX'...

-------------

On the Free View Box...

'TV Output' is currently set to 'RGB' and not PAL or Y/C Trust that this is okay?

and option

'Scart Control/WSS' (WSS = Wide Screen Select) is currently set to 'off' and not 'scart off', 'on', or 'wss off' Trust that this is okay?

-------------

And last but by no means least... on the PJ the input is set to 'Component' and not 'DVI', 'HDMI', 'Video1', 'S-Video', 'InputA', 'Video2' or 'S-Video2'.

ta,

Devs.

29. Miniholic

Miniholic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +398
    Hi Devs,

You need to set the freeview output to Y/C, this is the S-Video output. So much for Sony saying it was a default setting! (Assuming this works :rolleyes: ).

If you still don't get a signal try connecting the freeview box directly to the projector, hopefuly this should show if the freeview box is working.

I'm not too sure about the front panel settings, as I have a 3802 - much easier to set up, wanna swap? :devil: :D

I would suggest auto (if you have it) rather than any of the others, this is what I use on my 3802. This way the amp should automatically select the correct decoding. Ext in is for using the 5.1 analogue inputs for DVD-A/SACD when Denon Link is not being used.

The video select function (p67 in the manual :rtfm: always wanted to use that :D ) allows you to listen to one source while watching another e.g. for concerts, allowing you to watch tv while listening to the radio. Leave this on source.

Hope this helps,

Ian

30. devs

devs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Hey Ian, thanks for the info mate! Quite a fundamental error with the svideo set up then :eek:. What I'm trying now I think would be the most simple is to take the 3805 out of the equation and just try and get the signal through to the HS20 directly...

So I've connected just the svid lead into the back of the hs20 with Y/C selected on freeview and I can tell something's going on as the projector has a good long think about the signal that it receiving before rejecting it briefly before trying again in a loop. Where as before it was just showing a broken connection icon... Any initial thoughts on that one mate?> I hope the plot is thickening... :suicide:

Steve.