Denon 3808 AVR with QE65Q60TAU

Nash__

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Hi I have just purchased the Samsung QLED and I want to still use my brilliant Denon 3808 in a 5.1.
I’m using 2 sources SKYQ and PS4, I have both sources connected by hdmi to the Sammy then connected the Sammy audio out to the Denon via optical, everything works fine, I get Dolby Digital so the sound is fine.
My question is whether I can get any higher sound format with my current setup given what my Denon can handle (True HD, DTS Master Audio) or be satisfied until I spend on a 4K reciever,
Many thanks in advance for any advice 👍

The 3808 is a great receiver and I can understand why you would want to keep using it.

One option is to buy a Blu-ray player with twin HDMI outputs so you could connect to both the receiver and TV at the same time to get HD audio and UHD video. Those players usually have the major streaming apps built in (Netflix, Amazon etc.) so you could potentially use it as your main source.

Hi I have just purchased the Samsung QLED and I want to still use my brilliant Denon 3808 in a 5.1.
I’m using 2 sources SKYQ and PS4, I have both sources connected by hdmi to the Sammy then connected the Sammy audio out to the Denon via optical, everything works fine, I get Dolby Digital so the sound is fine.
My question is whether I can get any higher sound format with my current setup given what my Denon can handle (True HD, DTS Master Audio) or be satisfied until I spend on a 4K reciever,
Many thanks in advance for any advice 👍
I would connect your PS4 with HDMI directly to your 3808 and use the connecting hdmi(from the amp) back to the Samsung to see your PS4 Games. That way to will benefit from TrueHD and DTSHD Mstr(if the PS4 passes that which i am not sure).

Not sure how many HDMI outs SkyQ has but if it has 2 you could send one to the amp for sound and one for video to the samsung.

I have just sold my 3808 and upgraded to a 4700H, I have to say that the sound quality is a real tick up on the 3808, plus you get Atmos capability.

Good luck

I'm still using my 3808, albeit in a second room with a 1080P TV and I can also understand it.

If you watch a lot of discs I'd also suggest a twin output player would be a good possible option. You can also get various device like the HDFury AVR key that can add the dual outout option to other devices, although for me I'd suggest the money might be better kept and added to the future AVR budget, after the 3808 a new Denon 2700 just won't cut it IMO, you'd want to go up the range a step or 2 for equivalent quality.

Hi gents many thanks is there a suggested Blu-ray UHD that would fit my setup 👍

This Sony player reviews well and should do the job without breaking the bank at £189.

Not sure how many HDMI outs SkyQ has but if it has 2 you could send one to the amp for sound and one for video to the samsung.
Just the one HDMI on the SkyQ box with the option of using a digital optical.

after the 3808 a new Denon 2700 just won't cut it IMO, you'd want to go up the range a step or 2 for equivalent quality.
Absolutely. IMO, the late noughties was a high point for Denon AVRs. The 3808 is a powerful beast with a decent PSU/heatsinks and it's amazing just how far you'd have to go up the current range to get similar power. Back in the day, S&V tested the 3808 at 138W/channel with 5 channels driven while ASR only got 131W out of the current flagship 8500 model, both tests at 1%THD. It even put out 130.7W with 7 channels driven which is just incredible by modern AVR standards.

This Sony player reviews well and should do the job without breaking the bank at £189.

Many thanks Mr Wolf I’ll take a look, just can’t part with my 3808 right now👍

Many thanks Mr Wolf I’ll take a look, just can’t part with my 3808 right now👍
Thanks for the advice gents, just ordered the Sony looks like a perfect solution 👍👍

Thanks for all the advice managed to get a nice deal on the Sony and working exactly as you suggested 👍
BB9D7270-07E8-423E-A923-B858ADB3A6BB.jpeg

That’s good to hear because I’ll probably be buying one of those Sony UHD players myself for a similar workaround. I’m also wedded to a pre-4K AVR and will want to run it with a new 4K projector that I’m planning on getting.

Yes really impressed by the player for Blu-ray up scaling too, watched Drive Blu-ray as it’s mostly dark scenes and quite honestly looked fantastic - perfect solution really chuffed 👍👍

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom