1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Denon 3808 and Tivo

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by NicH, Dec 14, 2003.

Tags:
  1. NicH

NicH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Not sure whether to put this here or in PVR or Plasma section.

I've just ordered a Denon 3803 and was wondering on the best way to connect my Tivo (and thus sky) to it so that I can get the Denon to output it to my plasma via component. I think there may be 3 options:
    1. Buy a JS RGB/Component converter and just have it pass through.
    2. Scart to s-video to Denon and Component out, though I'm not sure this is possible
    3. Scart to composite to Denon and Component out, though this will presumably lead to a loss in picture quality

Which is the best way, one of the above or is there an option 4?

2. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,389
    The first question that normally gets asked when people ask about putting the video signal via their receiver is WHY!.
    If you have 2 component devices to feed into a plasma with only 1 component input then this is ok, but you will almost certainly loose some PQ going through the 3803.

You don't say what plasma you have, but if it has component and VGA inputs then you could get a JS RGB>VGA converter for TiVo/Sky and leave the component for DVD (?). According to JS this give the best PQ in most cases and is cheaper than the component converter.

You could feed to the 3803 via composite or S-Video but you will get a much lower quality picture, so not a good idea.

All of your options are possible, but you should stick to RGB to get the best PQ.

Mark.

3. FaxFan2002

FaxFan2002

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    you might be able to utilise zone 2 on the amp for recording stuff (if you don't 7.1 speaker config) - i will read on manual and have a play, i want to do a something like with a dvd recorder.