Denon 3806 subwoofer connection

Meeko

Established Member
Reaction score
Can anyone suggest the best way of connecting a sub to the Denon 3806? The sub I'm interested in has a low and high level input and suggests that both should be connected. This has the benefit of playing the lower frequencies that your main speakers cannot play through the sub in addition to the LFE.

I know the Denon has a main+LFE setup - is this basically doing the same thing as the subs high and low connections? Hence only a low LFE connection is required?

The sub is a REL Storm 5 and REL say that it's best to use the high level input as it picks up the same characteristics of your main speakers, including same timing cues for better integration.

Any thoughts welcome

The LFE+Main is with regards to bass management settings and splits the bass between the mains and the subwoofer. Denon's and Rel's can work well together as you're able to setup them up so you can have all speakers set to small, all bass to sub for movies (using the low level connection). You're also able have full range signals going to the front speakers for music (using Direct/Pure Direct and the subs high level connection). In addition the later Denons can also be configured with various options for speaker settings/bass management for 2ch Stereo/Direct/Pure Direct modes.

Thanks for the info. Would it be better to leave the fronts to large for movies, as they are capable down to 33Hz? I guess the thing to do is have a play!

Currently I have no sub, and all speakers are set to large and can easily handle the power at loud listening levels. (RSLCR -45Hz and RS1s - 43Hz)

Personally I'd leave them small for movies but set the Denon up so that they're configured to large for music. :)

Can you explain how you would set them to large for music and small for movies? Or do you have to go into the menus to change?

Initially in the main setup menu you select which speakers you have and their sizes, crossover etc. To set up the 2ch Direct/Stereo modes you need to go into the Advanced Playback menu and choose the 2ch Direct/Stereo option. From there you can select speaker sizes, crossover etc and they will only apply to those modes.

Am I right in thinking that the LFE+Main setting irrelevant for this configuration then?

Is there any reason why the large speakers would be set to crossover at say 40Hz or 60Hz for movies if they are capable of lower?

Many thanks for all of your help

Meeko said:
Am I right in thinking that the LFE+Main setting irrelevant for this configuration then?

It would be if you set up the 2ch Direct/Stereo mode in Advanced Playback. But bear in mind this only applies to Direct/Stereo modes. The other modes would take their cue from the original setup selection in the main menu.

Is there any reason why the large speakers would be set to crossover at say 40Hz or 60Hz for movies if they are capable of lower?

Depends how low they actually go in-room. Specs are one thing, real world performance is another. Room acoustics also plays a huge part.

Blimey I never thought home AV could be so complicated! I listen to a lot of DVD-Audio but I think this works in Pure Direct mode so that's OK.

When running the Audyssey setup when the sub is connected, presumably I would disconnect the high level sub input so it only measures the mains. I think I'm nearly there!

I'd run it both ways and see what it does. Once with it connected via High Level, once without. Out of interest what DVD player are you using?

I've got a Panasonic DVD S97. Bought it way before I was interested in home cinema, but turns out it's very good. I paid £130 and it has HDMI, DVD-Audio etc. Came out very good on a review on Audioholics.

As another question, The 3806 has a single phono out for LFE - are you supposed to get a splitter so you can connect this to the sub L/R inputs, or will one suffice?

Just been looking at my Audyssey EQ and I can see it's lowered the bass a fair bit for the speakers in the corner. Makes sense. Still sounds far better with EQ off though. With it on it seems to make the sound flatter. WIth it off the bass and trebble are more lively.

Too many settings!

Meeko said:
As another question, The 3806 has a single phono out for LFE - are you supposed to get a splitter so you can connect this to the sub L/R inputs, or will one suffice?
I believe you use a Y-adaptor at the SW pre-out on the 3806 and then run the two RCA's (L and R) to the sub.

I have a slightly more complicated question along the same lines. My sub is a Martin Logan Depth. I'd like to use the Depth's low pass filter in 2-channel mode, but allow the 3806 to take over the multichannel processing via the LFE into the Depth.

The Depth has a LFE (0.1) RCA input that I have connected directly to the 3806 SW pre-out. BUT, if I also want to connect the 3806 to the Depth's L/R in's (to allow the Depth to handle the low pass filtering in 2-channel) will it work if I connect two Y-adaptors to the single SW pre-out? As follows:

1 Y-adaptor connected to the 3806 SW pre out to spilt LFE from L/R. The LFE RCA goes direct to the LFE in at the Depth. Then a 2nd Y-adaptor connected to the remaining line on the 1st Y-adaptor. Then connect two RCA's and run L and R to the Depth L/R in's.

Is this nonsense?....will the 3806 actually know which is the LFE line (for multichannel) and which are the L/R lines (for 2-channel) to the Depth?

Certainly the best solution is to have separate pre/pro's that provide direct inputs to the Depth, L/R from the preamp and LFE from the processor. Yet I'm curious if the all-in-one 3806 can achieve this as configured above....

WabbitSeason said:
I have a slightly more complicated question along the same lines. My sub is a Martin Logan Depth. I'd like to use the Depth's low pass filter in 2-channel mode, but allow the 3806 to take over the multichannel processing via the LFE into the Depth.

The Depth has a LFE (0.1) RCA input that I have connected directly to the 3806 SW pre-out. BUT, if I also want to connect the 3806 to the Depth's L/R in's (to allow the Depth to handle the low pass filtering in 2-channel) will it work if I connect two Y-adaptors to the single SW pre-out? As follows:

1 Y-adaptor connected to the 3806 SW pre out to spilt LFE from L/R. The LFE RCA goes direct to the LFE in at the Depth. Then a 2nd Y-adaptor connected to the remaining line on the 1st Y-adaptor. Then connect two RCA's and run L and R to the Depth L/R in's.

Is this nonsense?....will the 3806 actually know which is the LFE line (for multichannel) and which are the L/R lines (for 2-channel) to the Depth?

Certainly the best solution is to have separate pre/pro's that provide direct inputs to the Depth, L/R from the preamp and LFE from the processor. Yet I'm curious if the all-in-one 3806 can achieve this as configured above....

Pretty sure that won't work as you want. The 3806 will feed LFE/bass to it's SW out depending upon it's bass management configuration selected in setup. It can't possibly know what to send where when it gets to the Y Adaptor. The only Denon that might be able do this is the A1XV as it can be configured for up to 3 subs (Stereo L & R + LFE, Front & Rear + LFE etc) each with it's own SW Pre-Out.

Jase said:
The only Denon that might be able do this is the A1XV as it can be configured for up to 3 subs (Stereo L & R + LFE, Front & Rear + LFE etc) each with it's own SW Pre-Out.
IC, many thx for the info Jase...so I should have purchased the A1XV....sigh....don't you hate it when you buy a unit that you think can do it all at a nominal price, just to learn that you should have upgraded and spent the extra $$$ for the flexibility....

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom