denon 3805??

oldnovice

Hi does anybody have one of these & if so what do u think of it as an amp????

Mr Incredible

Distinguished Member
:smashin:

Having moved from a stereo Hi-Fi set up to multi-channel, I was apprehensive about the ability of the amp to deal with 2-channel (analogue) material. But in Pure-Direct mode it is excellent!

As for multi-channel, I have nothing to compare to. All I know is that it deals with DVD source extremely adeptly. In my set up I have the fronts bi-amped so there is plenty in reserve for any material which has large dynamic range in reproduction.

I'm well pleased wih my purchase.

Cable Monkey

Novice Member
I have owned in turn an Akai stereo AV amp, a Pioneer pro-logic amp, a Sony 5.1 amp (STR-DB930) and a 3805. The 3805 represents the first AV amp I have been happy with for music as well as film. The Sony was excellent with film and ok with music (good using multichannel inputs) and I had my doubts about replacing it but 10 minutes after setting the Denon up I knew I had made absolutely the right decision.

oldnovice

thanks ,I have just bought one on ebay . how do u think it will partner b&w CDM 1 NTs

Mr Incredible

Distinguished Member
My B&W speakers sound superb with the 3805. Sound is smooth, controlled and lacks any harshness to it. It really is the mutts nuts.

spl23

I have a 3805 driving my Monitor Audio MA202 floorstanders (£450 quid 12 years ago, and I still can't find anything better for the money), and it sounds fantastic with both music and movies. I upgraded from an Arcam Alpha 9, and I don't miss the Arcam at all.

mik

I had a nad before the 3805 and I was never really that happy with stereo from the 3805 but have bi-amped the fronts this week and the difference is hard to believe, all in a very good amp :smashin:

T

twistedddx

3805 is great if you dont need dvi/hdmi switching.. Which you do or will, so perhaps be cautious while buying old products if you like new standards

Cable Monkey

Novice Member
twistedddx said:
3805 is great if you dont need dvi/hdmi switching.. Which you do or will, so perhaps be cautious while being old products if you like new standards
You must be salesmans dream! :D
HDMI switching is good to have, but not yet essential (it is for high definition remember and there is precious little of that around!) I wouldn't turn down a very good purchase as I assume the 3805 was in order to stay "up to date".

3sgte_power

3805 + Canton CD100s up front, CD50 centre, CD10 rears and a AS100 subwoofer! Sound is subline both in music and movies! I can't fault it.

BUFFY FAN

Standard Member
Fantastic amp. Especialy partnered with the dvd 3910 through denon link.

T

twistedddx

Cable Monkey said:
You must be salesmans dream! :D
HDMI switching is good to have, but not yet essential (it is for high definition remember and there is precious little of that around!)
There is a stack of HD content, HDTV(dvb-s, dvb-t, atsc, a.b.hdtv etc. most all movies/tv shows these days are available in 720/1080i/1080p), PC output, even dvd's look noticably better via hdmi than component(remember dvi/hdmi excels at HD but is a good digital transport for all resolutions, pixel perfect is almost needed... try turning on clear type when you dont have a pixel perfect picture. This is the easy test to show how much better dvi/hdmi is over component or vga btw). Plus you have hd-dvd just kicking off now and bluray to follow by the end of the year aswell as ps3. Well basically for the money I want it to last many years without disappointment, not 3 months and think "hmm shouldn't have got that really"

BUFFY FAN

Standard Member
twistedddx said:
There is a stack of HD content, HDTV(dvb-s, dvb-t, atsc, a.b.hdtv etc. most all movies/tv shows these days are available in 720/1080i/1080p), PC output, even dvd's look noticably better via hdmi than component(remember dvi/hdmi excels at HD but is a good digital transport for all resolutions, pixel perfect is almost needed... try turning on clear type when you dont have a pixel perfect picture. This is the easy test to show how much better dvi/hdmi is over component or vga btw). Plus you have hd-dvd just kicking off now and bluray to follow by the end of the year aswell as ps3. Well basically for the money I want it to last many years without disappointment, not 3 months and think "hmm shouldn't have got that really"
And don't forget the 360, although it doesn't use HDMI.

Cable Monkey

Novice Member
twistedddx said:
Are you really saying that if you had no amp and were offered a good deal on a 3805 you would turn it down because you 'need' HDMI switching/upconversion? It is nice, but not a necessity!:)

T

twistedddx

Cable Monkey said:
Are you really saying that if you had no amp and were offered a good deal on a 3805 you would turn it down because you 'need' HDMI switching/upconversion? It is nice, but not a necessity!:)
If it didnt suit my needs I would not buy it regardless of price, unless I thought I could simply resell it for more.
Buying somethings that doesnt suit your needs is called a waste of money regardless of how much a preceived bargain it is.

"oh look that crate of crutches is only $500, what a bargain!!"

Buy a bargain if it suits your needs. Which the 3805 may very well do for oldnovice, it really depends on the person. For me the huge and glaring obvious lack of a feature for the 3805 is dvi/hdmi switching and I could not buy it "today" for that single reason.

Cable Monkey

Novice Member
As I said before, you are a salesmans dream.

T

twistedddx

I'm still stumped just what you are on about. I want something so buy it, this makes me a salesmans dream? I would call you the salesman dream. Instead of you having any set goals on what you actually want you just randomly dump money into purchases where you have no set goals or wants? You sound like the guy that walks into a store for a washing machine and walks away with a fridge because the sales guy did you a good price.

You sound like nothing more than a "bargain hunter" that compromizes at the drop of a hat for a few bucks rather than just getting what you want(which is weird, how did you even end up with a Denon to begin with? There are plenty cheaper products such as a genuine "Sorny").. Obviously we are different people with different levels of satisfaction.

oldnovice wants advise on if its a good buy, well it depends.. perhaps dvi/hdmi means nothing to him (just like you). I'm merely pointing out what I think. There is no need for it to turn to "oh haha you're a salesmans dream"?? Maybe you just simply have less disposable income or perhaps you simply dont care for the quality difference? Others do have the money to get what they actually want and have different priorities when it comes to purchases. These are the pro's and con's oldnovice wants to hear, if you only want pro's why ask for feedback?

Lets play a game:
We have no amp
$100 for a 3805...Bargain but lets pretend we arent going to just resell it again for profit we want to "use it"
I buy it today and I still do not have an amp that does what I want so tomorrow I will still have to buy the amp that does suit my needs..
Thats $100 wasted, not a $100 bargain. I didnt need or want it, why buy it? If it doesnt meet the needs/wants, price doesnt overcome those problems.

But this thread is way offtopic now, as oldnovice has bought the amp already.
oldnovice: "3805 is great if you dont need dvi/hdmi switching.. Which you do or will, so perhaps be cautious while buying old products if you like new standards"

limbk

Standard Member
I was in the same position when thinking between the 3805 and 3806.

The best price I could get for the 3806 was £800. There was an offer of £500 for an almost brand new 3805 on Ebay.

I chose the 3805 because of the following reasons:-

1. for all intents and purposes, 3806 is the same as the 3805 except for the HDMI switching and the Auddessey Auto-Set up thingy. Both have the same amp specifications;

2. I don't need HDMI switching as I have only one DVI/HDMI source. The Denon 2910. For some reason, the HDMI/DVI outputs a green push in the pictures. Other than that, I really can't tell the difference between HDMI/DVI and Component. Either Denon is crap at HDMI/DVI or it does Component really well:D

3. I don't intend to subscribe to Sky HD due the lack of materials for the next 2 years or so. Also, I don't have a HD ready Plasma and I don't intend to upgrade my plasma for the next 2-3 years or so;

4. None of the AV Amps can decode the HD Audio Codecs directly yet. Further, I think there are issues trying to pass the HD Codecs through the current HDMI standard;

5. Given the above, if I bought the 3806 to "futureproof" as it were, it will be 2-3 years down the road when I really need the HDMI switching.

6. Given the propensity of manufacturers (especially the Japanese) to come out with multitude of models and upgrades, the 3806 would probably be outdated in the next 2-3 years when there are AV amps which can do almost everything (except for making coffee) including decoding the latest HD Audio codecs through HDMI. 2-3 years will be the right time to upgrade anyway!

7. So, for my circumstances, I thought to myself, heck! I will save the £300 pounds and upgrade my puny Whaferdale PC8 sub to the SVS PB10 beast! To be honest, the sub upgrade was the most noticeable to my ears! I had the Yamaha RXV430 amp before. Although I admit that the Denon 3805 had more features, sonically, the 3805 is better at louder volumes when its power advantage could be better utilised.

My 2 ps:)

Jase

Distinguished Member
limbk said:
4. None of the AV Amps can decode the HD Audio Codecs directly yet. Further, I think there are issues trying to pass the HD Codecs through the current HDMI standard;
The new HD players will perform the decoding of Dolby HD/DTS HD etc internally and then pass that as Hi-Res PCM via HDMI. They should also output these signals via their 5.1 analog outputs as well as downmixing a digital signal to be output via optical/coaxial. Any amp that is HDMI 1.1 will be able to accept the highest quality PCM signals. On that front the 3806 and other Denon's are covered. Not aware of any issues as such but you never know with HDMI.

As for natively decoding these signals then you'll need HDMI 1.3 and that won't be around in any Amps etc until next year.

Timbo21

Also, if you read Richard Stevenson's article in the latest HCC, HDMI is going to be superceded to a higher spec. HDMI which will be able to carry higher bandwidth & DTS-HD & Dolby True HD.

Additionally, it will have a smaller connector :eek: (I prefer DVI plugs, since they are more robust, especially when attached to a rather chunky cable. So, the thought of a smaller HDMI connector fills me with dread). This is very bad news for all those who have bought recievers with HDMI switching. Hopefully, the current HDMI standard will last a bit, since Sky & current SD-DVD players will use it, and, I guess, the first generation of HD-DVD/Blu-ray players will have HDMI 1.1, but after that who knows?!

That 3805 is starting to look better. After all, you can always buy an HDMI switcher.

Jase

Distinguished Member
What new spec is that? HDMI in it's current form can cope with 8-channels of 192kHz, 24-bit uncompressed audio.

Timbo21

Jase said:
What new spec is that? HDMI in it's current form can cope with 8-channels of 192kHz, 24-bit uncompressed audio.
Well, I'm just referring to this article in HCC, p19 of the new one. Apparently, the new HDMI will support 48 bit colour.

I don't think that he was saying that the current standard can't support 24 bit 192khz multichannel, but was stating that the new one would support this in addition to the higher bandwidth on offer. Bad news in my book. I hate technology racing along too quick.

Jase

Distinguished Member
Not seen the article. I'll have to try and get my mitts on it. Would be surprised to see HDMI put aside in favour of another format. Then again, maybe it wouldn't surprise me, lol.

limbk

Standard Member
I used to be the type who wanted the latest and the newest. But the years have mellowed me down.

I used to crave for the latest Pentium processor but I now settle with an AMD which is cheaper. Serves me as well for the things I need to do.

I just ordered a pair of Monitor Audio GR60s for 1100 pounds - at more than 50% off the RRP because it was last year's model.

In the process, I saved money - quite a lot of it. The compromise is that I don't get the latest stuff and probably lose bragging rights. But hey, the last year's kit meets my requirements!

In the field of AV Amps, a product will cease to be the latest offerring within a year or so. It eye wateringly expensive to keep up with the latest development. To me HDMI is in a state of flux. The very fact that the current amps cannot natively decode HD Audio only means that there will be more releases of newer models when the HDMI format is finalised. Hey, it is happening already for other features. The Denon 2807 supports 1080p switching - something not found on the 3806. The Yamaha 2600 supports Video upsampling while the Yamaha 4600 doesn't. Both 3806 and 4600 are suppose to be the superior models and more expensive at that.

I think future flatscreen TVs in a couple of years will have more than 1 HDMI inputs thus making the need for HDMI switching less crucial.

So it is your choice. :)

The latest video from AVForums

Panasonic HZ2000 OLED TV Review: The best OLED for movie viewing in 2020

Latest News

Denon, Marantz and Yamaha AV receivers hit by HDMI 2.1 bug
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
McIntosh launches MX100 AV processor and MI347 power amp
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Samsung updates and expands access to Samsung TV Plus
  • By Andy Bassett