1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Denon 3805 vs 3806

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by markfraser, Sep 13, 2005.

Tags:
  1. markfraser

markfraser
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So far as I can see when comparing the specs of the two, the 3806 doesn't really offer anything more to a user like me who does not have a HD display. Am I correct in thinking this?

If so, I'll wait around a couple of weeks and see if the price drops on the 3805 but I have been surprised so far to see that this has not really been the case and the retailers quoting prices for the 3806 are coming in at a level not much more than the 3805.

Either way, I'm hoping that it will be a significant step up from my current 2803.

2. Gary_W

Gary_W

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    The thing that strikes me as a huge difference is the Audyssey room EQ setup. That is what I'm waiting for, and why I personally wouldn't buy a 3805 instead.

I didn't think room EQ was a particularly big deal but using a BFD on my sub has opened my eyes to the vast difference that it can make. For me at least, the premium looks worth it.

It's a new remote as well, and that's probably no bad thing if the occasional poster on here with a broken 3805 remote is anything to go by.

Gary

3. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +856
    The 3806 has HDMI 1.1 Audio and Video capability so will at least cover you to some extent for the future. It also has a far more sophisticated Room EQ system and a true Bi-Amp option rather than a workaround. Denon Germany's specs also show analogue to HDMI upconversion which will also be quite handy for the future.

Personally, I would wait and go for the 3806.

4. markfraser

markfraser
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, I went ahead anyway and bought the 3805 - my local sevenoaks had an ex-dem one for 699 so I couldn't resist. I can honestly say it's the best bit of kit that has ever been part of my system - by a mile. It's worth every penny. Even before I had set up the speaker config properly I was amazed at the difference between this and my old 2308. I'm so happy with it!

5. Timbo21

Timbo21

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +263
    That's probably at least about £200 cheaper than the 3806 will go for initially.
    :thumbsup:

6. Glasgow Adam

Glasgow Adam
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This bi-amping of the fronts sounds good - but is the cost loosing the back two channels, taking you back down to a 5.1?

7. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +856
    Yes. You could always add a 2CH Poweramp and use the Surround Back Pre-Outs if you wanted to go back to 7.1 though. :)

8. simonthepieman

simonthepieman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Jase
    I have been reading all the threads on avs ref the 3806 and the 4806 and the new
    4306 do you know if the 4306 will use exactly the same EQxt as the 5805 and 4806?

I.e not the lesser version which i assume will be in the 3806?
    Also it seems you need to ensure the latest dsp3 software is loaded for the sub frequencys to work correctly see the post "my 5805 has arrived ", they have just updated the firmware and now EQ appears to work on the 5805 no updates for the 4806 yet . I assume the latest 4306 will be the latest software?

I am thinking of going from my single processor tag32avr latest 7.1 spec will a denon
    probally the 4306 by better purely because of EQ . I use external amps now so the denon would be used just as a pre/processor. The video part is of no use in my case as i use an iscan etc.
    Youre feedback is always useful and i know you participate on other forums etc
    Thankyou

9. simonthepieman

simonthepieman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Jase
    I have been reading all the threads on avs ref the 3806 and the 4806 and the new
    4306 do you know if the 4306 will use exactly the same EQxt as the 5805 and 4806?

I.e not the lesser version which i assume will be in the 3806?
    Also it seems you need to ensure the latest dsp3 software is loaded for the sub frequencys to work correctly see the post "my 5805 has arrived ", they have just updated the firmware and now EQ appears to work on the 5805 no updates for the 4806 yet . I assume the latest 4306 will be the latest software?

I am thinking of going from my single processor tag32avr latest 7.1 spec will a denon
    probally the 4306 by better purely because of EQ . I use external amps now so the denon would be used just as a pre/processor. The video part is of no use in my case as i use an iscan etc.
    Youre feedback is always useful and i know you participate on other forums etc
    Thankyou