1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Denon 3805 volume on screen display

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Tim-Ann, Jun 25, 2005.

Tags:
  1. Tim-Ann

Tim-Ann

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +99
    Hi there,

When I use my 3805 in DBS (Sky+) mode when ever I change the volume it is displayed on the screen. The Sky+ input is S-Video and the sound is via an optical cable to OPT1.

When I use my Panasonic DVDR E95 who’s input is component and sound is via an optical cable to OPT2 then when I change the volume it is not displayed on the screen the same applies to a VCR to which the sound is connected via standard audio cables to the 3805 but the Video composite is connected directly to the Plasma?

Am I doing something wrong or can someone guide me in getting the audio display on screen for all inputs?

Many thanks, Tim.

2. shodan

shodan
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,140
    As well as the componant input from the DVD player, also run a S-Video cable to the DVD input on the amp and that'll give you the on screen display when using the DVD player. Just make sure the display is turned the the input for the amp and when you change from tv to dvd on the amp, the tv and audio will automatically change at the same time.

3. Tim-Ann

Tim-Ann

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +99
    Hi there,

Are you saying that the on screen display happens only if you're using S-Video connections?

Can you disable it showing on screen?

Many thanks, Tim.

4. dvdchild

dvdchild

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +393
    i've only ever seen the volume or any kind of on screen when using my xbox plugged into amp with S-video and component from amp to screen.

If watching dvd via component into amp - i get no on screen at all. It will flick over to a blank screen for setup info etc etc.

weird or what!

dvdchild

5. Eddy Boy

Eddy Boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Any video going though the amp you should find it overlays the on-screen display onto the picture.

If you source is progressive component, the amp may not be able to do it because the on-screen display is interaced.

6. bbasra

bbasra

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +41
    i just upgraded to component yesterday for my dvd player and amp to screen and i have also lost the onscreen display.

i got a better pic quality, however, this really cheesed me off.... i need the on screen display, dont like looking at the amp.

i still get the onscreen display for sky+ and xbox as this is connected via svideo.

i was also going to upgrade the the Sky+ box to component via JS Tech RGB to YUV Component coverter, but definetly will not do this if i lose the onscreen display? Will i lose the display?

7. Tim-Ann

Tim-Ann

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +99
    Hi there,

bbasra, you will loose the on screen display if you use the JS Tech Component converter I had one and lost the on screen display went back to Sky+ via S-Video and on screen display came back.

Also I couldn't see a lot of difference in PQ using the JS Tech compared with S-Video.

Tim.

8. bbasra

bbasra

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +41
    Hi Tim

Excellent advice, thats what i really wanted to know. I am NOT going to buy the JS converter as i am also happy with the PQ using S-Video and i really want the OSD.

For my dvd player, i have also added a scart to svideo + 2x phono cable so that i can still use the on screen menu just in case.... i had the cable spare, so why not use it. When i press setup button on the Denon now, i get the picture not just a black screen.

9. spl23

spl23

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +382
    I've got a 2805, and I have similar issues - my 3910 is connected to the component inputs on the amp, and my LCD is connected to the component outputs. I also have a PVR connected via S-VHS to the amp.

I get the on-screen display superimposed on the PVR picture, or when using the DVD input with the DVD player switched off - as soon as the 3910 is sending a signal to the component input, I get no OSD from the amp. (This is the same whether the 3910 is in interlaced or progressive modes).

Doesn't worry me hugely, to be honest - I guess it is something to do with the component signal from the DVD not being compatible with the component version of OSD from the amp. It is odd, given that they are both from Denon!

10. Eddy Boy

Eddy Boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    If you look in the back of the manual it actually tells you it will not over lay the onscreen display for component.

I think the reason for this is that the component in terminals can take HD signals (sorry not HDMI or DVI). The OSD is a SD 4:3 interlaced composite signal so if it tried to overlay it could cause picture problems. So rather then spoil the picture it doesn't happen.

11. warwick

warwick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    If you link component, and s-video from the DVD player - you can get the OSD up by pushing the display button on the remote - this will switch to the s-video feed, and bring up the display - and then switch back to component when you exit.