1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Denon 3805 Video Connections

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by galewis1, Aug 11, 2004.

Tags:
  1. galewis1

galewis1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I am about to buy a 3805 to be paired with my existing digibox, Tosh SD-900 and Sony KV36HQ100. The Sony can't take a component signal from the DVD player, but as my existing receiver (Onkyo TX-DS595) can only accept and output S-Video, I have avoided using the receiver to handle the video signals in favour of direct link of the digibox and DVD player to the TV via RGB scart.

I would really like to use the video capabilities of the Denon but although in can accept the component signal from the tosh, it would have to output it as s-video would it not? This would be a backwards step wouldn't it? Or is the signal handling of the Denon so good as to make no difference? Or should I simply avoid the video handling capabilites of the Denon as I did with the Onkyo?

Also, I keep reading that the Denon can be had for £750 on the net. I can't find it for less than £800. Anyone mind telling where I can get it closer to £750.

Thanks

2. Jack the lad

Jack the lad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +86
    The Denon 3805 up converts all video signals to component. Great if you have a display capable of accepting component :thumbsup:

You havent :thumbsdow

The best way for you is to connect your video devices to your display via RGB scart and bypass the Denon :)

3. John Dawson

John Dawson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    Or you can choose an Arcam AVR300 which can upconvert composite and s-video to RGBC (SCART) standard :)

John Dawson (Arcam)

4. galewis

galewis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Great... :( Why don't Sony put component connections on their TV's.

I'm afraid that the Arcam is out of my price range. Is there a device that I can put in line between the 3805's component out and the TV's RGB Scart in that'll do the trick. I know that that's no better than bypassing the Denon altogether, but at least I'll be able to use the video switching facilities of the Denon and still get a better than S-Video connection (i.e. RGB)?

5. ic33

ic33

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What 'video capabilities' are you hoping to use? Are you looking to output video to another room, as if not I can't see any advantage in going through the Denon?

I've just purchased a 3805 but I'm still routing all video signals direct to the TV using SCARTs (RGB for the DVD). I have an S-video connection from the receiver to the TV but only for the on-screen display and Xbox video signal (although that would go via SCART as well if I had enough sockets on the TV). Could you output DVD by S-video to the Denon and RGB SCART to the TV for the best of both worlds?

6. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    You might be better of just using S-Video, it has the potential to provide a picture that's as good as RGB.

The main benefit of using component is that it can transmit progressive scan signals as well.

7. Jack the lad

Jack the lad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +86
    Can your display accept a component signal?

If so I recomend going through the 3805. I have a 8ft screen and my Sky+ looks wicked through the Denon via component upconversion :)

8. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,744
    I've just purchased the 3805 and haven't got component on my TV, so I just use the Denon for the sound and keep my RGB scarts going from the Sky+ to the TV and from the DVD player to the TV.