1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Denon 3805 upscaling or JS RGB to component box

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by jazzytay, Oct 18, 2005.

Tags:
  1. jazzytay

jazzytay
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi

I'm just about to make my first home cinema purchase, and was just wondering if anyone could answer this question.

If I purchase a Denon 3805 reciever would I be able to put my sky+ staight into it for the RGB output to be upscaled to component before it goes upto the plasma, or would I still need to purchase a JS technology RGB to component converter box? I only want 1 cable (component to VGA) going upto my plasma.

Any advice greatly recieved!!

regards

Steve

2. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +856
    Hi Steve

You could use the S-Video out from Sky+ and have the Denon upscale to Component. This would be the simplest option.

3. chrislewis

chrislewis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    I second this i tried both ways and this was the best

chris

4. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,389
    You can't feed an RGB signal from a scart into the 3805 as RGB from scart is RGBcvS and needs a 4th cable. Therefore, as already suggested, you need to either feed RGB via a component converter or direct S-Video.
    AFAIK the only receivers that can accept RGBcvS are the Arcam AVR250 & AVR300. But if set to RGB input they will only output RGB and not YUV component.

Mark.

5. jazzytay

jazzytay
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks for that lads,

Will I loose any quality by using the S-video output from the sky+, or once the Denon has upscaled it to component, then it's back to top quality, again would I even notice any slight difference.

Steve

6. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,389
    Upconversion just changes the signal type, it does nothing to improve the quality of the signal. An upconverted S-Video signal is still S-Video quality even though now being sent to the screen via a component cable. The receiver is just a switch box for video, it is not a video processor.

In theory S-Video is a lower quality video signal, but in practice it can often look as good or even better than RGBcvS. It all depends on how good the screen is at processing each signal type. I would say that with the equipment you have the S-Video should look good enough, but at the end of the day only you can decide if that is the case. TBH if the PQ is not good enough for you all you have waisted is £10-£20 on an S-Video cable, but if you go the other way you will need to spend £150+ on converter & leads.

Mark.