Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Denon 3805 - to "upconvert" or not?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by juniper, Sep 2, 2004.

Tags:
  1. juniper

juniper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +60
    I know that this has been visited lots of times, (and on different threads) but after trawling through countless threads I'm looking for a (hopefully) definitive answer here to help me get the "best" set-up out of my current equipment, without hopefully adding any more kit, although I'll consider that if it is seen as being beneficial. I'm looking at video only here for now...

At the moment I am sending my Sky+ output via an S-video lead into the back of my 3805, and also my DVD (2900) output via a Keene RGB to Component converter. I then output via component to an HS20. I would describe my image quality as "pretty good", and I would therefore like to do better, which I'm sure I can.

My question I think is then what would people recommend that I do to improve the image on the HS20? Would adding a video processor as an intermediary improve things ( I suppose I could then get a DVI output into my HS20?), or should I just use component straight from my DVD and Sky+ (via the Keene gizmo) and switch cables by hand to bypass the 3805 altogether?

Very grateful in advance for anyone's suggestions (including whether I should move this to another forum!!)

Thanks.....

2. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,823
    Whilst the theory that a direct connection is better than an indirect (or switched) connection is sound, in practice, the Denon is probably so good as to make little difference. Coupled with that, constantly changing cables manually will give rise to wear and eventually dterioration in the connectors themselves.

I recommend you opt for the convenient choice, here, which is, to let the 3805 do the work.

You can evaluate, for yourself, the extent to which the 3805 is degrading your signal, by simply trying a direct connection from the DVD to the Projector bypassing the 3805 and comparing it with via the 3805. I doubt you'll see any material difference.

3. juniper

juniper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +60
    Thanks for the very quick reply - I haven't tried this, but does it upconvert different signals just as well? i.e. would I get as good a picture if I input using composite from my 2900 as I would by using component in?

Thanks again.

4. Arcangel

Arcangel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Why are you using an RGB to Component Convertor when the 2900 can output it's own Component signal?

5. Arcangel

Arcangel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It justs converts the signal format it can't increase the quality of the original signal. Composite is the worst quality signal you could feed it.

6. juniper

juniper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +60
    Thanks Arcangel for your responses.

The only reason I'm using the Keene box is that I didn't have a separate run of component to go between my DVd player and amp. I have ordered myself a short run from Mark Grant however to recify this!

7. Arcangel

Arcangel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Aha! :)

To be honest. I would go the direct route from player and Sky box straight to the PJ (assuming the HS20 has an S-Video input as well). The 2900 has excellent progressive scan output.

If you only want one cable running to the PJ then go via the Denon and use it to upconvert the S-Video signal to Component for Sky. The Component signal from your DVD player will just get passed through without any processing. :)

8. juniper

juniper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +60
    Thanks again - this is the route I will go - I just wanted the one cable to the PJ, as I have a 10m run across the ceiling. In fact, I've just realised that I could use the RGB to component converter from Sky+ as well (another pice of component cable required tho') - I should have thought of that ealier!

Cheers for your advice - you've helped me a lot. :clap:

9. princephilly

princephilly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    did u have any problems setting your amp up for the vision??

10. juniper

juniper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +60
    No - no probleams as such. It was extremely easy in fact, and I was pleased that I got on screen volume displayed too, which I hadn't bargained for!. Why do you ask??

11. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,823
    Just to recap - the upconversion in the Denon (from either SVideo or composite) won't (can't) improve on the shortcomings of the original signal. But it shouldn't degrade it to any meaningful extent, either.

Component inputs to the 3805 will be passed through unchanged; Video and SVideo signals will be upconverted (but not improved). It is a huge convenience, too.

12. HappyLad

HappyLad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I can't get the Denon on screen graphics to overlay the picture from my DVD player - connected to 3805 via component.
    I have a sneaky suspicion that the Denon can't display the on screen graphics on top of a prog scan video signal, though TBH I haven't played around with my setup to proved this yet.

At risk of going OT, does anyone know if the inputs can be renamed on the 3805? I can find no reference in the manual to such a feature and I'm a little disappointed that I can't call the input my XBox is connected to "XBox" instead of VDP or whatever it is called now.
    Regards

13. Arcangel

Arcangel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You can't rename any of the inputs on the Denon. Also pretty sure you're correct with regards to the OSD if the signal being passed through is Progressive. Can be easily checked if you just switch your player to interlaced for a quick test. :)

14. princephilly

princephilly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    mine is fantastic with component dvd fed into it but anything else i get red lines all over the picture!!!!!!!

15. RohanM

RohanM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32

16. Arcangel

Arcangel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Nope. You can assign inputs in terms of OPT 1 - DVD, OPT 2 - TV, COAX 1 - CD etc etc, but you can't rename them e.g OPT 1 - XBOX.