1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DENON 3805 small/large question!!!!

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Murray, Feb 5, 2005.

Tags:
  1. Murray

Murray

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Please can someone come up with the answer WHY does my Denon 3805 always on the AUTO MIC setup switch the front left and right speakers to large??? Im using three matched Audio Pro front speakers with a pair of Audio Pro rear and another pair of side speakers. The sub is also and Audio Pro. Everytime I do the auto setup with the mic it switches the to front left and right speakers to large! I know its easy to later switch them back to small, just like all the other speakers, but in actual fact that seems like defeating the purpose of the auto EQ! Should I just leave the L&R fronts on large as the Denon instructs them to do so???
    One other QUESTION, as Audio Pro speakers are only 4 ohms how come the Denon doesnt have a switch like many other amps for using speakers that are rated with a lower ohms rating? :confused: :confused:

2. dinoprada2003

dinoprada2003

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +284
    I dont know the Denon 3805 personally but with any auto amp setup it always pays to go over everything again manually, for instance on my yammy it always gets my Sub distance to listening position wrong as well as sound level settings.No auto setup is perfect, well not YET anyway :smashin:

BTW If you set your fronts to large this will take enable the low freq to be played via the fronts rather than if you set them to small only the sub will do the job.It's a matter of prefrance if you have a sub. No way is right or wrong.

3. tpc3416

tpc3416

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Murray,

I have the 3805 and switched back and forth between large and small fronts. I like more bass coming out of my Polk RTi10's so I manually go back and change it. It's a pain, but computer chips aren't perfect. They default to logic, not human ears. As far as the ohm issue, my 7.1 speaker setup is 8 ohm except for my front towers, which are bi amped, and thus are really 4 ohm. The amplifier will automatically feed 4 ohm speakers its proper level. A switch wouldnt help in my case, but it would have been a nice idea!

4. rjstott

rjstott
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have the 3805 and the amp shouldn't change small/large settings. The reason is that this setting determines the destination of bass. In the small setting it goes to the sub-woofer for every speaker set to small. If the amp thinks it has a large speaker it will route bass to it and during the auto equalisation set up will even try to boost the bass to compensate the the inability of the speaker to reproduce it. I lost two speakers this way because the speaker manufacturer recommended a large setting. Not only can the amp overdrive the units but it causes serious distortion.

I suggest you go around the size setting procedure twice to make sure the amp has accepted you change before the auto config. If the amp then changes the setting you need your supplier to investigate.

5. Astaroth

Astaroth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +117
    rjstott - it is supposed to change the size of the speakers.

The only thing that it will not adjust is the cross over frequency for the LFE channel for small speakers. It is this figure that the amp uses to calculate if a speaker is set to large or small.

6. rjstott

rjstott
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Astaroth - When I read the manual I come to exactly the opposite conclusion. The communications I have had with Denon UK seem to confirm my view. If the amp can change the fundamental issue of loudspeaker capability (which is what small/large defines) then it would go on to try to adjust the equalisation and boost the bass to small speakers that can't respond. I lost the speakers because I told the amp they were large when in fact they had no bass capability. So the amp tried to compensate, overdrove the speakers with bass they couldn't handle and I couldn't hear.

Could you indicate which page in the manual implies the amp can change the small/large setting of its own choice? The LFE is the .1 component and as you say goes to the woofer regardless. But the remaining bass from say a standard stereo goes to large speakers or to the woofer depending on the large/small setting.