1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Denon 3805 setup help

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by (GTV)Chris, Oct 28, 2005.

Tags:
  1. (GTV)Chris

(GTV)Chris
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi

I still can't get my amp sounding great?
    I watched Batman Begins last night and spent more time fiddling with the setup and Sub (Quake) than I did watching the movie!
    It sounds boomy and i had to fiddle to buggery with the REL.
    I play back from a Denon 2910 and have B&W 601's all round.
    I did the microphone setup which seemed to work.
    Does anyone have a similar setup that they can guide me on....Or should I pay for someone to come out and set it all up for me?

Many thanks

Chris

2. Mr Incredible

Mr Incredible
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11,781
    How does it sound with the Quake removed from the equation? (to see if there is any negative interaction between the it and the 601's around the crossover frequency).

What crossover have you got set?
    Are all speakers set to small?
    Have you tried any of the Denon's ROOM EQ settings (Normal, Flat, Front)?

3. Mr Incredible

Mr Incredible
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11,781
    Mods: Unless Chris has any objections, could you please move this to the Denon owners sub-forum? I think it may get more air time there!

4. (GTV)Chris

(GTV)Chris
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    NOt tried to take out the Quake yet, I will try tonight.
    I have let the amp set the crossover and think it is at 80hz
    Speakers are set as small
    Not sure how to set up the EQ, My room is only 14ft by 10ft.

Thank you

Chris

5. Mr Incredible

Mr Incredible
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11,781
    The EQ is auto set up by the Denon when you let it calibrate your levels. Looking at the frequencies (Auto Set up and check EQ settings) may give you an indication of where its trying to boost or cut to help you target your attention.

FWIW although the speakers ar rated at 60Hz frequency response +- 3db, I'd tweak up your crossover to 100Hz and put more to your sub and see if that makes a difference.

6. (GTV)Chris

(GTV)Chris
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thank you Malice, I will try that with the crossover, and I may re calibrate using the microphone.

Many thanks

Chris.

7. Knyght_byte

Knyght_byte

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +599
    i own a quake, and this is what i found when using it.....

dont use it at higher freqs, 60Hz or under is best.....its only a small driver and magnet tbh, better to leave it doing less sounds but at lower freqs....
    use depth not slam on the back panel controls
    try switching the phase
    experiment moving the sub away from the wall a little..

If you want to test whether its the sub or amp then do this.....get a Cd player and stereo amp, hook the sub up to the stereo amp via hi level neutrik connection (if you didnt get one when you bought the sub, go to a sevenoaks or REL dealer, they will sell one for £15 or so)......leave the sub in the same place you want it for movies, and see if its still boomy, or if its more musical....then hook the hi level up to the surround amp instead and see if it changes (make sure to set the front l&R speakers as large on the amp with no sub for LFE channel, in fact unplug the LFE cable) and see if all is still well.......if it is, then leave front l&R as large, but make centre and rears small (60hz if you can, if not then 80hz) and change LFE to yes for sub (plugging cable back in if you unplugged it)..........then see what happens.....if boomy then its the subs LFE output needs to be lowered or is dodgy.....

i think i've got all that right, try it and see....lol....be prepared tho, you need to leave an afternoon or evening open to do this properly, also its a lot easier if you can have someone in the room with you for disconnecting/moving things, saves a lot of hassle..lol

8. Knyght_byte

Knyght_byte

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +599
    btw, altho your speakers are not big speakers, they are still normal full range hifi speakers, so setting to large wont make a difference, if they are hooked up to a stereo amp they are still recieving the full freq range.......its only small satellites its worth being cautious with.....altho even then i doubt it would do too much......its only if you put a small pair of bookshelfs that were cheap on an expensive 300w amp that you would probably blow them just turning the thing on...lol

9. (GTV)Chris

(GTV)Chris
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks for that,
    I will do a full test with your suggestions. Don't have a full afternoon or evening free (New baby arrived 10 weeks ago) but I will try my best.
    I think I have buggered up my original settings because I constantly fiddle with them during movies?
    I guess I was never happy with them... And coming from a Yamaha DSP A5 I can't say it is that much better? I know it is but can't seem to get the best out of it :(

many thanks

Chris

10. Knyght_byte

Knyght_byte

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +599
    well i'll be surprised if you cant find something your happy with, i ran my quake from a 3803 and it was fine once i got it settled in the right part of the room and got the settings decent......i only upgraded because i wanted better bass for hifi sound, the quake couldnt cut it with my Monitor Audio S6's....they outclassed it at higher volumes....
    post back again once u get a chance try and sort it out, fingers crossed for ya getting it good ;-)