1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Denon 3805 Settings

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by maverick177uk, Feb 26, 2005.

Tags:
  1. maverick177uk

maverick177uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +487
    So I 've just added a rear centre speaker to get 6.1 sound, what do you guys set your amp to?Neo 6, discreet, matrix? I'm a bit confused at the moment I get DD EX with Neo6 set and DTS ES with this setting. What is the difference between Neo6 and DPLIIx. And matrix and discreet.
    Thanks for any help. Rob

2. Greg Hook

Greg Hook
    Moderator & Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    In a secret location with Jennifer Lawrence
    Ratings:
    +7,368
    There is a similar post here discussing a similar topic:
    http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=191558

But a simple answer (which hopefully is reasonably accurate!)

DTS ES Discrete can be found on some DVDs such as the LOTR extended editions and several others. This gives 6.1 discrete channels of sound. If you have set you amp correctly it should display DTS ES discrete when you are watching a DVD with this format.

I don't have DPLIIx on my old 3802, but I think Neo 6 is the DTS version of DPLII where it takes a standard non 5.1 signal and converts it into 5.1 channel sound.

On my 3802 whether it is a DD 5.1 or 5.1ex DVD the display always so DD 6.1.

3. tpc3416

tpc3416

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That is correct. DTS Neo 6 takes a 2 channel signal and splits it up at full frequency range to all surround speakers. It's amazing with standard tv feeds. So crisp, I thought it was a cd. Don't use it with 5.1 or higher dvd's - let the 3805 decode it for you.

4. Zacabeb

Zacabeb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    DTS Neo:6 and Dolby Pro Logic IIx work differently, and have different faults.

In both cases what has to be done is spread the sound across the channels by the simple rule that similarities between left and right get sent to the center channel, and differences to the surround channels. Doing this in practice is a bit complicated since the decoder must figure out how much of the sound to send to each channel at any given time.

The original Dolby Pro Logic does this by continuously measuring the difference in power between the left and right inputs, and that between their sum and difference, to establish where in the soundfield sound is dominant. The result then controls how much of left and right are combined for each output. A major problem for Pro Logic is that it can't separate the channels very stably and often causes the soundfield to collapse into the dominant channel.

Dolby Pro Logic II and Pro Logic IIx work around this by measuring dominance on its own outputs instead of the inputs, and feeding it back to control how much of left and right are combined for each output, so that it tries to maintain maximum separation between channels at all times. DTS Neo:6 on the other hand, works almost exactly like the original Dolby Pro Logic, but measures dominance and steers the channels at multiple individual frequency bands to improve separation and stability. And of course, unlike Dolby Pro Logic, Pro Logic II and DTS Neo:6 can extract stereo surround.

As a result, the two systems behave quite differently. Technically, DTS Neo:6 is not the DTS equivalent of Dolby Pro Logic II, but an entirely different approach to perform matrix decoding. They're only similar with regard to their intended purpose.

In Dolby Digital EX, the original Dolby Pro Logic system is used for extracting the rear surround channel from left and right surrounds. You may be able to use Dolby Pro Logic IIx in its place, which gives a bit cleaner separation between the channels.

Dolby Pro Logic IIx may work well also for decoding the rear surround in DTS ES matrix soundtracks. I'm not sure, but I think Neo:6 is behind the native decoding of DTS ES matrix tracks. DTS ES discrete is better though and should be left decode as discrete, even though it can also be matrix decoded by design.