1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Denon 3805 rgb in possible?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Teresa, Nov 1, 2004.

Tags:
  1. Teresa

Teresa

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi there

is there anyway i can get my sky digibox Panny DUSB30 to put RGB into my denon 3805 which is hooked up to my AE700 via component..without haveing to run a fully wired scart to the PJ?

2. CrispyXUK

CrispyXUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Good question which I cant answer :(

3. SamirP

SamirP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    You could use a JS-Tech RGB to component converter not a cheap option mind you. ;)

www.js-technology.com

4. Export Strength

Export Strength
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    You can't i'm afraid. The amplifier doesn't support RGB to component conversion. Also due to the video conversion facility you cannot pass RGBsync through either. The only way you can utilise the RGB out from your sky box is to convert it to component. This you definately should do.

5. Barend

Barend

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Tried to feed my S-VHS recorder thru the CPC RGB-2-YUV converter and I could see no pic at all.
    Doing the same with my Topfield set top box produced a good yuv picture.
    So it appears no RGB-without-sync signals are created equal.
    Barend

6. John Dawson

John Dawson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    If anyone else has this issue and has not yet purchased a new receiver then I would like to point out that Arcam's AVR250 and 300 models (and the Arcam AV8 processor) all support RGBS passthrough and switching.

Just thought you'd like to know :)

John Dawson (Arcam)

7. JetJockey

JetJockey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

Yes they do. But quite frankly, what use is that if the AVR300 (etc) can not turn RGB into Component AS WELL? What use is switching RGB (with sync on a composite input/output) if you have one RGB and one or two Component inputs (or worse, vice versa)?

I think it is fair to say John, that no end of people out there have a set up similar to mine. This includes a high quality DVD player, and a Sky box and a Plasma. The DVD player outputs Component if progressive is used, and the Sky box RGB. The average Plasma will only take Component OR RGB into it's BNC/RCA inputs and not BOTH without going through a drawn out series of button pressing which is totally impractical. :thumbsdow

It is obvious, that in a very large number of installations, people have to go out and buy an RGB to Component converter (at £150) in order to get around this problem. It would have seemed common sense to me, to design your product with this situation in mind.

I know that you have responded to this once by saying that the extra cost is unwarranted but I totally disagree. It is obvious from the number of posts in this and other forums, that this is a problem regularly encountered by a LARGE number of people. You (or one of your colleagues) said that the extra cost would push the unit price up and effectively cost you sales (in a nutshell). Again, I can't see the logic in this. Most purchasers buying at this level, do their research and realise that they will need an extra box (JS or Keene converter) and factor this into their budget. I personally, am not a fan of "extra boxes" everywhere and I am sure that there are many others who would agree. Frankly, if your AVR300 had included the RGB to Component conversion in addition to switching it would have been a godsend and shot to the top of my shortlist immediately. A premium of £150 on the price would not have been a problem. This single feature alone, would take your receiver to gold medal position, and take you a step ahead of the competition (there's plenty of it out there).

I thought that I had found a solution with the ability to "force" your DV79 to output a progressive RGB signal. Just as I got my hopes up, they were dashed. Your DV79 appears to put the sync on green (possibly) in RGB whereas the Skybox outputs the sync seperately. Again, the plasma needs to know where to look for the sync and cannot accomodate the sync on H or V one minute, and then on Green the next.

Is there any way to get a seperate sync signal out of the DV79 during progressive scan, other than on the colour signal lines, in an attempt to make the best of a bad situation

Thanks, Gerald. :confused:

8. CrispyXUK

CrispyXUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    get rid of the pointless tuner and add a scart (proper socket) switcher/upconverter and I'm a buyer

9. JetJockey

JetJockey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

Funny you should mention the Tuner. Look at my thread entitled "Poor remote response" in the Arcam Forum.

Gerald. :)