1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Denon 3805 Remote

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by drum63, Apr 19, 2004.

Tags:
  1. drum63

drum63

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Have any other UK 3805 owners experienced problems with the remote ?

Mine was fine for about 3 hours out of the box yesterday and then some of the lights disappeared.

Specifically, when I press the Surround button I no longer get the lights for the various modes (Stereo, Pure Direct etc). The buttons still work but you have to guess the function.

Will be talking to Creative about a replacement when they open tomorrow, but having read the US reports about remote problems there, this does seem to be the achilles heel for what is otherwise a very impressive amp.

Funnily enough I actually like the remote, contrary to other views, I just wish they had spent a bit more time on quality control or design.

Love the auto setup feature - I havn't even bothered checking the levels with a sound meter as I'm so impressed with the sound I'm not going to fiddle with it - (well at least for a week
    ;) ).

Gary

2. jamesl01

jamesl01

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Gary

No problems so far. Mine has been going for about 5 hours and hasn't broken or eaten the batteries yet.

James

3. mjcairney

mjcairney

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +877
    Looked at the 3805 on Friday last and thought that the remote was the most difficult to read that I have ever seen - that was with my reading glasses on, before anyone asks.

Must say though, was impressed otherwise with the 3805.

4. drum63

drum63

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    It's even harder to read when the button lights don't come on ;) .

Sending mine back today, Creative will compare it with their demo model and send me a new one if it does turn out to be a fault.

As I seem to be the only one with remote problems let's hope that is a sign that the US reports were a bad batch rather than a design fault.

5. jamesl01

jamesl01

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Looks like I posted too soon. The on/off button backlighting has permanentley gone off now. Will be sending it back to the shop tomorrow.

James

6. drum63

drum63

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    James,

Sorry - hope it wasn't me prompting fate. :blush:

Creative Audio played around with the buttons on mine and apparently got it working, but as they couldn't explain why they sent me a replacement anyway.

My plan will be to use it as much as possible in the next few weeks to ensure this one is OK.

Gary

7. jamesl01

jamesl01

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Gary

Let me know how the new one goes. I hope we won't end up having to lobby Denon to provide a final fix after we have all had loads of dud replacements.

8. laurie

laurie
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Denon never seems to amaze me the gear they build is what every one wants [dvd,amps] yet something like a remote spoils the kit...
    cheers laurie

9. incywincy

incywincy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,

Sorry to bring back an old thread but I just wanted to report similar problems as verrellg with my remote control.

Both the lights in the middle showing the options for choosing the different sources and the surround have gone out. As verrellg, the buttons still work but you have to guess where they are. I have tried changing the batteries as suggested in another thread, but the problem still remains.

I have searched around these forums but not found anyone else with similar problems. Are these just one offs or has anyone else had this problem with the denon remote??

10. braehead

braehead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've had the same problems and I'm waiting for a replacement. The lights have come back on just as mysteriously as they went out but it's going back. Hopefully a replacement will fix things. Otherwise I'm very happy with the amp but for movies and music.

11. ic33

ic33

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've also had problems with my remote. It periodically 'hangs' with none of the buttons working and I have to remove and then re-fit one of the batteries to get it working again.

And now I find the whole display lighting is much duller than before. Previously it was fairly easy to read in any light, now it's so dull that its a real struggle to see the button ilumination. I can't believe it's the batteries as I've only had it a couple of weeks, but I'll try changing them out.

12. drum63

drum63

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    For info, I havn't had any problems with my replacement.

The batteries have been replaced once.
    A dim screen is definitely a sign of dying batteries.

13. braehead

braehead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Don't want to ask the obvious but you do know that you can change the brightness of the display (from memory press the enter button and the channel up at the same time). When you change the batteries is will default back to a different setting.

14. Blu-rayx

Blu-rayx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +217
    This also happened to me just after 2 days!!
    a replacement is on it's way :)

DVD

15. ic33

ic33

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Update to my earlier post; it was the batteries that had gone. I know I was probably using the remote more than normal at first in playing about with settings etc. but I'll be a bit disapointed if I have to replace them every 3 weeks!

16. HappyLad

HappyLad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Exact same thing seems to have happened to my remote. The lighting of the source on/off buttons has gone.
    Looks like these remotes may have a common fault :thumbsdow

17. gradzi

gradzi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi guys,

As a German user I can tell you that this issue has been discussed in German Forums quite a lot. Some of the people there already got their 4th replacment.
    It seems that there are some different Remote Versions on the market. The latest replacements have a blue design instead of te black one :
    www.audioholics.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=31
    As you can See on the picture the Number is RC - 969 ( the black one used to be 970 ) but meanwhile the blue Version has 970 on it as well.
    I do have the 970 blue version ( got it shipped with it ) and haven't had any trouble so far. I haven't had the chance to test it much though...

18. ghosty

ghosty
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi guys,

i also had probs with my remote where certain lights would not show up when they should be. got a replacement and it was the new version of the remote with the blue background as gradzi has described.
    but all is not well as this one has frozen on me a few times, though it has seemed to have stopped since i recently put in new batteries. so i am still testing it to see whether it needs to go back again :(
    so dont like me think that as i got a blue one that all the troubles are gone...id be very happy with the remote if it actually worked trouble-free...
    g

19. HMHB

HMHB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,967
    One thing I've noticed which will affect battery life is that sometimes the vibration in the floor in loud explosion scenes for example will make the remote switch itself on. I have to place it carefully when watching action films !

20. braehead

braehead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Finally, after waiting since SEPTEMBER, I've finally received my new remote from Denon. I'm assured by the retailer that it works! Other than said remote I am very happy with the receiver. Wish it had digital radio tho'.

21. HappyLad

HappyLad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OMG - 3 months to get a replacement !! :eek: :eek:
    I received a replacement in just over a week when mine went faulty.
    3 months is an outrageous amount of time to wait for a replacement. Which retailer did you buy it from??

22. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,005
    Wow that's taken a long time :eek:

I'd be furious if that were me :devil:

23. dvdchild

dvdchild

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +153
    Yep Same Here. My remote keeps locking up and doing all kinds of bizarre crap. Waiting for Peter Tyson to get back to me about replacement remote

DVDCHILD

24. Mr Ess

Mr Ess

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    Mine is one of new ones I think and I lost the Source On/Off buttons so i replaced the batteries and they are back again. :smashin:

25. ISHANTY

ISHANTY

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    hi i got a new one with the blue back light and now it really good i also use rechargeable batteries

26. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,005
    There are so many problems with these remotes, I hope they sort all these bugs for the next incarnation!

27. braehead

braehead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've not got a problem with the retailer, they've been fine, gave me the shop one to use while I was waiting. The new one is the blue backlight version, quite different from the original so hopefully will be better. I'm presuming the delay is because they've had so many returns!! Now to save up for the DVD player!!

28. dvdchild

dvdchild

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +153
    I was called by Peter Tyson today as my remote needs to be replaced and at present Denon UK have no stock of any versions of this remote and they couldn't give a date when. I am not a happy bunny and Peter Tyson are trying all their best to get me a replacement remote but Denon UK support is utter sh%$.

My remote also no longer wants to work at all.

DVDCHILD

29. Ridcully

Ridcully

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    Slightly OT but are any of you using this remote to control Sky, Sky+ or a TV. If so what have you converted the yellow, green, red, blue buttons to as I seem to have run out of buttons on the Denon remote. :confused:

30. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,005
    Denon should get their act together, it's a bit out of order that they're not even giving you a date when you should get yours. Hopefully this has taught them a lesson about releasing half-tested products.