Denon 3805 Remote

drum63

Established Member
Reaction score
Have any other UK 3805 owners experienced problems with the remote ?

Mine was fine for about 3 hours out of the box yesterday and then some of the lights disappeared.

Specifically, when I press the Surround button I no longer get the lights for the various modes (Stereo, Pure Direct etc). The buttons still work but you have to guess the function.

Will be talking to Creative about a replacement when they open tomorrow, but having read the US reports about remote problems there, this does seem to be the achilles heel for what is otherwise a very impressive amp.

Funnily enough I actually like the remote, contrary to other views, I just wish they had spent a bit more time on quality control or design.

Love the auto setup feature - I havn't even bothered checking the levels with a sound meter as I'm so impressed with the sound I'm not going to fiddle with it - (well at least for a week
;) ).

Gary

Gary

No problems so far. Mine has been going for about 5 hours and hasn't broken or eaten the batteries yet.

James

Looked at the 3805 on Friday last and thought that the remote was the most difficult to read that I have ever seen - that was with my reading glasses on, before anyone asks.

Must say though, was impressed otherwise with the 3805.

It's even harder to read when the button lights don't come on ;) .

Sending mine back today, Creative will compare it with their demo model and send me a new one if it does turn out to be a fault.

As I seem to be the only one with remote problems let's hope that is a sign that the US reports were a bad batch rather than a design fault.

Looks like I posted too soon. The on/off button backlighting has permanentley gone off now. Will be sending it back to the shop tomorrow.

James

James,

Sorry - hope it wasn't me prompting fate. :blush:

Creative Audio played around with the buttons on mine and apparently got it working, but as they couldn't explain why they sent me a replacement anyway.

My plan will be to use it as much as possible in the next few weeks to ensure this one is OK.

Gary

Gary

Let me know how the new one goes. I hope we won't end up having to lobby Denon to provide a final fix after we have all had loads of dud replacements.

Denon never seems to amaze me the gear they build is what every one wants [dvd,amps] yet something like a remote spoils the kit...
cheers laurie

Hi all,

Sorry to bring back an old thread but I just wanted to report similar problems as verrellg with my remote control.

Both the lights in the middle showing the options for choosing the different sources and the surround have gone out. As verrellg, the buttons still work but you have to guess where they are. I have tried changing the batteries as suggested in another thread, but the problem still remains.

I have searched around these forums but not found anyone else with similar problems. Are these just one offs or has anyone else had this problem with the denon remote??

I've had the same problems and I'm waiting for a replacement. The lights have come back on just as mysteriously as they went out but it's going back. Hopefully a replacement will fix things. Otherwise I'm very happy with the amp but for movies and music.

I've also had problems with my remote. It periodically 'hangs' with none of the buttons working and I have to remove and then re-fit one of the batteries to get it working again.

And now I find the whole display lighting is much duller than before. Previously it was fairly easy to read in any light, now it's so dull that its a real struggle to see the button ilumination. I can't believe it's the batteries as I've only had it a couple of weeks, but I'll try changing them out.

For info, I havn't had any problems with my replacement.

The batteries have been replaced once.
A dim screen is definitely a sign of dying batteries.

Don't want to ask the obvious but you do know that you can change the brightness of the display (from memory press the enter button and the channel up at the same time). When you change the batteries is will default back to a different setting.

This also happened to me just after 2 days!!
a replacement is on it's way :)

DVD

Update to my earlier post; it was the batteries that had gone. I know I was probably using the remote more than normal at first in playing about with settings etc. but I'll be a bit disapointed if I have to replace them every 3 weeks!

jamesl01 said:
Looks like I posted too soon. The on/off button backlighting has permanentley gone off now. Will be sending it back to the shop tomorrow.

James

Exact same thing seems to have happened to my remote. The lighting of the source on/off buttons has gone.
Looks like these remotes may have a common fault :thumbsdow

Hi guys,

As a German user I can tell you that this issue has been discussed in German Forums quite a lot. Some of the people there already got their 4th replacment.
It seems that there are some different Remote Versions on the market. The latest replacements have a blue design instead of te black one :
www.audioholics.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=31
As you can See on the picture the Number is RC - 969 ( the black one used to be 970 ) but meanwhile the blue Version has 970 on it as well.
I do have the 970 blue version ( got it shipped with it ) and haven't had any trouble so far. I haven't had the chance to test it much though...

hi guys,

i also had probs with my remote where certain lights would not show up when they should be. got a replacement and it was the new version of the remote with the blue background as gradzi has described.
but all is not well as this one has frozen on me a few times, though it has seemed to have stopped since i recently put in new batteries. so i am still testing it to see whether it needs to go back again :(
so dont like me think that as i got a blue one that all the troubles are gone...id be very happy with the remote if it actually worked trouble-free...
g

One thing I've noticed which will affect battery life is that sometimes the vibration in the floor in loud explosion scenes for example will make the remote switch itself on. I have to place it carefully when watching action films !

Finally, after waiting since SEPTEMBER, I've finally received my new remote from Denon. I'm assured by the retailer that it works! Other than said remote I am very happy with the receiver. Wish it had digital radio tho'.

OMG - 3 months to get a replacement !! :eek: :eek:
I received a replacement in just over a week when mine went faulty.
3 months is an outrageous amount of time to wait for a replacement. Which retailer did you buy it from??

braehead said:
Finally, after waiting since SEPTEMBER, I've finally received my new remote from Denon. I'm assured by the retailer that it works! Other than said remote I am very happy with the receiver. Wish it had digital radio tho'.

Wow that's taken a long time :eek:

I'd be furious if that were me :devil:

Yep Same Here. My remote keeps locking up and doing all kinds of bizarre crap. Waiting for Peter Tyson to get back to me about replacement remote

DVDCHILD

Mine is one of new ones I think and I lost the Source On/Off buttons so i replaced the batteries and they are back again. :smashin:

hi i got a new one with the blue back light and now it really good i also use rechargeable batteries

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom