1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Denon 3805 rear speaker output problems

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Tony B, Jan 22, 2005.

Tags:
  1. Tony B

Tony B

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    I tell you what, Denon manuals have got to be the most unhelpful I have ever read....

Been through the Auto Room EQ set up process, during which time I can most certainly hear the white noise coming out of all 4 speakers, i.e. including the rears.

Once it has completed calcs and I have saved the settings, I have then tried using the DVD (Thelma and Louise - great soundtrack) but, even though the amp confirms that it is receiving a Dolby Digital soundtrack, and the 4 speakers in use appear on the front display (I have not set up centre or SW speakers yet) I get absolutely nothing from the rear speakers.

I am going to give up and lie down in a darkened room soon. :suicide:

Any ideas?

TIA

Tony B

2. Family Guy

Family Guy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    How many speakers have you got attached mate? When you say rear, do you mean the surround back or surround side speakers...?

Edit - sorry, didn't read your original post properly...I see you have front L & R and surround L & R speakers attached...

My only suggestion would be this...maybe there isn't supposed to be anything coming out of them. Only when the director intends it will sounds come from the surround speakers...

Try putting the amp in "5 channel stereo" mode and play some music. If there's no sound then, we'll take it from there...

3. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +856
    Assuming you've got all four surround speakers connected. Make sure the amp is in a mode that uses the Surround Back speakers such as Dolby EX, PLIIx Cinema. If the display says Dolby Digital only then you haven't got the Surround Back speakers switched ON. You'll have to manually switch them on but make sure that you have the AFDM (Auto Flag Detect Mode) switched OFF otherwise it won't let you. You can switch them on either via the front panel (Surround Back button) or via the onscreen menu.

4. Tony B

Tony B

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Well - I CAN get sound out of the rear speakers - when in 5ch mode.
    However, when the speakers are connected via the Surround Back posts the amp claims that no back speakers are connected....when they are connected via the surround "A" posts it claims that they are not there either.

I am going to have to sit down and work through this more methodically. Maybe my current choice of speakers is not a good place to be starting anyway, as is also the case with my room layout.

I had hoped that the Auto setup/room eq capability would make this easy. Not the case so far - either that or I am a bit stupid....

Next step - look at the AFDM thing

Thanks for your responses so far!

5. The Gooner

The Gooner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    They shouldnt be on surround back post, as this is 6 and 7 chanels, for the configuration of speakers you have described you should have the suround speakers on Suround left and right not surround Back left and right.
    This is why nothing is coming out of these speakers during 5.1 playback, to get sound from these as you have them connected you would need a 6.1 source DTS ES fro ex.

Hope this helps

6. Tony B

Tony B

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Conceptually - yes it does. :smashin:

But I did start off with the connections from Surround Left/Right, it was only because I was getting nothing at that stage that I changed to Surround Back.....

Surely if the amp is set up for auto surround, it should feed the available channels to the available speakers. If I have only SB speakers set up and connected, should it not send the SL/SR signal to these if it is a 5.1 source? Or am I expecting too much of the machine's intelligence. Probably.

My brain hurts.

More alcohol required as anaesthetic, I think!

7. The Gooner

The Gooner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    I dont think it would send the signal to SB left and right as this is only done if you can matrix the surrround left and right signals.
    You would need to play the DVD in PLIIx or DTS neo matrix to get the back speakers to work. Doing this would only result in inferior sound quality as more decoding would take place and sound field would eb wrong to film.

Try connecting speakers to correct posts and run auto set up, I have the 2805 and has same feature, to be honest it picks up all speakers in right place and sets distance perfectly, after that you should be able to get sound from rears as and when sound is distributed to these channels,
    Not sure how it works without centre speaker but I would imagine cntre is split between front L R

8. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +856
    There is a way of getting the Surround Left and Right info coming out of the Surround Backs as the Denon's have an option of doing this. When you have Surround Back speakers connected you can select between OFF, Matrix On, Matrix OFF etc. Matrix OFF just replicates Surround Left and Surround Right info out of the Surround Back Left and Surround Back Right.

In your case Tony B I would connect each of your speakers to the proper posts as Gooner has suggested i.e Front Left, Front Right, Surround Left A, Surround Right A, re-run the Auto Setup and then just use the normal Dolby/DTS modes.

9. The Gooner

The Gooner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    If you do keep them on surround rears and set matrix on amp to distribute through these speakers, I think you would get equal sound coming from each rear as apposed to true seperate channels as the rear channel unless it is discrete is made up of the surround channels, I only use my surround rears when watching films with DTS ES at the moment as nothing else is discrete.
    Not sure how DD EX works but dont think its a discrete channel. Someone might be able to help us both out here though

10. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +856
    DD EX doesn't have discrete Surround Back channels. Only DTS-ES Discrete does. DD EX uses matrix processing to extract the Surround Back channel/s from info in the Left and Right Surround channels. You can use DD EX over standard Dolby 5.1 tracks if you wish, the dvd doesn't have to have an EX encoded track for it to work. Same goes for DTS, you can use DTS-ES Matrix decoding over a standard DTS track.

With Dolby PLIIx you can get Stereo Surround Backs if both speakers are connected. It's certainly worth experimenting with all the modes available to you. :)

11. Tony B

Tony B

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Hmmm - I need to buy some new speakers now....

Blown one of the Sonys. Surprised it was so easy. I am sure I managed to drive them much harder (i.e. louder) with their matched amp, without problem.

And I was not trying to annoy the neighbours.

I will with the new speakers though...