1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

denon 3805 question

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by mickey, Jul 28, 2004.

Tags:
  1. mickey

mickey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +266
    hi guys , I am looking at buying one of the amps . and i have this question

1. can i have a second pair of main speakers at the same time as a 7.1 setup and then switch between the two. I:E when listening to normal stereo I usually just turn off the all the sub/sat speakers and switch to my kef floorstanders with the A/B speaker switch on my rxv740. can the same be done on the denon?.

2.I know my sub/sat speakers are not up to scratch for a amp of this stature but they will have to do for now ( till my wife lets me buy some kefs ;) ). My question will the 6ohms load be ok and not damage the amp by driving underpowered speakers .

I know this can be done on the yamaha 2400rds but since i have owned numerous yamahas I want to try out a different sounding amp in real life ,since i firmly believe you could spend hours in a shop demoing gear and still not really know how it will sound in your room with your furniture, size, layout etc, any input will be gratefully received. cheers Mike

2. jamesl01

jamesl01

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Mike

On the Denon if a full 7.1 setup is being used then all the power amps are also being used. It is possible to have a second zone with another pair of main speakers but you would need to buy another power amp to drive them if you wanted 7.1.

I have mine configured for 5.1 and have a second zone (which could be in the same room) which has two speakers driven by the spare power amps.

The Denon has no problem driving my M&K speakers which are a higher load than normal (can't remember the ohms).

James

3. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    The A/B speaker switch should do just as you want. You won't be able to use both at the same time though, just as with you Yam at the moment.

At least that's the case with my Denon 1802.

4. Arcangel

Arcangel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The 3801/2/3/5 have Surround A/B speaker switching, not main A/B speaker switching. :)