1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Denon 3805 owner who upgraded from 3803

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by potshot, Nov 28, 2004.

Tags:
  1. potshot

potshot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +176
    Hi all

I would like to know from members who owned a 3803 and upgraded to a 3805. What it improvements have you found from the 3803, music in stereo and surround sound.

I have a 3803 which I use in 7.1 wide screen mode most of the time. Is it worth upgrading to the new model, did you feel the out lay was worth it. I am thinking about buying a 3805 after xmas. I don't know if it will be worth it.

There are so many home cinema receivers to choose from and if I had one critiscm of the 3803 is stereo could be better and power level could be better. I feel the amp doesn't put out its rated watts per channel and I have to raise the voloume to -20db to -16db when watching anything in dolby digital. I also have all channel set to the maximum +12db on the channels adjustment. Have denon improved this lack of power. I used to have a yamaha rated at only 70 whats rsm and with a modest increase of the volume dial I would get higher levels of sound.

Mike

2. Arcangel

Arcangel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have you balanced your channel levels with a Sound Meter? You shouldn't be needing to run all of them at +12db! What speakers/sub are you using and how have you set them up?

Each to their own but I've always found the Widescreen 7.1 Mode to sound flat and dull. Dolby/DTS sounds much better.

I'd recheck your levels etc and also make sure you don't have the Dynamic Range Control switched ON for Dolby.

3. Bassbin

Bassbin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    I use a 3802 in a big room and before adding any power amps used to watch DVDs with the volume set to -10 to 0dB but with all the levels with -3dB and +3dB. I don't have a problem turning the volume control up very high as long as the amp is happy and it still sounds ok. As Arcangel says it depends on what speakers and room size you have. As for an upgrade a 3805 adds some nice features but I would think adding some power amps would give you a much bigger improvement.

4. Sniper

Sniper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +80
    I don't think upgrading from 3803 to 3805 will give you the power bump you're after !!

I would wait till you can get something more powerful - have a look (hear!) at the NAD 773!

5. potshot

potshot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +176
    I am running kef model 2 speaks front all other speakers 4omh as well. Using arcam P9 power amp on to drive main speakers which doubles output to 140watts into 4 ohms. I checked with denon the 3803 would have any problems driving my speakers. I was using the 3 channel yammy processor E800 before and had no problems. I have only add 2 more speakers to move upto 7.1 setup. I have heard that denon amps don't live upto their power ratings and are often lower than stated by denon. I have read the power transformers can't keep up with the power out put needed. I wanted to know have they resolved this problem. They have upped the power ratting on the new amp.

6. chrisgeary

chrisgeary

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +160
    I used to own a 3803. I found its amps so poor that for the first time in my life I actually blew a tweeter! This was due to the amps clipping during all 5 channels being driven. I also had an feeling that movies and music weren't quite as lively as they used to be. I put my old Yamaha A3090 back in place and all of a sudden dynamics returned to stereo and DD! I have also had powers amps on the 3803, and whilst it solved the clipping due to the 3803's anaemic power supply, it revealed that the processing side of things was not up to scratch. I sold it on and returned to my Yam A3090 for a while before going for a separate processor/power amp system. At one point I was able to A/B the 3803, A3090 and Meridian 561. The difference in terms of clarity, detail and dynamics could be illustrated:

Worse: 3803 ------------------------ A3090 ---- 561 :Better

The gap between the 3090 and 561 was clear, but between the 3803 and 3090 was night and day. IMO the budget/mid receivers from Denon are not their best work. Perhaps a second hand AV1 something or other would suit you better? Or try something from another manufacturer. I have not heard the 3805 but I don't suppose they, or many of the other manufacturers have bothered to address the power supply issue. But it is interesting that the very old Yamaha A3090 could deliver the goods when pushed hard, but the newer breed of AV amps simply cannot. eg. They are sold as 7 x 110w, yet the power supply is rated at 380w! The Yam is 80w x 5, and the power supply is 400w. Ok, thats not the whole story, but at least they roughly tie up.
    Rant over. (sorry) - I hope this has helped in some way though. :)

Chris

PS. oh and the 3805 is now 120w x 7, but the power supply is still rated at a puny 390w.

7. potshot

potshot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +176
    I am looking to go back to yammy. I don't know why there was such a drop in sound levels when playing DD soundtracks compared to 2 channel sound, ie dolby pro logic encondered. I get a -20 DB drop. I never experienced a drop with the yammy.

8. chrisgeary

chrisgeary

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +160
    Interesting. I would expect there to be a general drop in perceived SPL. CDs are usually mastered to 0db on the disc. I think I read somewhere that the average is something like -12db for your average pop song. Movie soundtracks, be it DD, DTS or 2.0 Prologic, will have headroom available for explosions etc, thus normal dialogue might be 20 or so dbs less than 0db. Thus you might play a CD at -25db and consider it loud, but to watch a movie and have the dialogue at roughly the same volume would require in increase in the volume control of 10db or so. Might this partially account for the difference?

9. potshot

potshot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +176
    I am surprised that no 3805 even if they didn't upgrade 3803 haven't posted here. I would really like to hear 3805 owners say, if they are getting the same sound output drop. I know denon have beef up the power supply for the 3805 but is it enough.

10. john R1

john R1
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    changed from 3802 to 3805 not noticed any real differance in power output mind you my 3802 was used for over 2 years through mk 4 ohm speakers without any problems, i thing the 3805 is slighty better in stereo than the 3802 but apart from auto set-up and dp11x not noticed much differance,still consider the 3805 to be a good receiver for £770 which is what i paid for it i did consider buying the arcam avr 300 but could not justify the extra £500 that it costs