1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Denon 3805 or Yamaha RXV2400

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by steve 111, May 11, 2004.

Tags:
  1. steve 111

steve 111
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I've narrowed down my Amp upgrade to the Denon 3805 and the Yamaha 2400, having discounted the Pioneer AX5 as it doesn't upconvert video signals.

Before I part with £750 has anyone who has tested these units any strong preferences, and if so why.

2. CARLOS

CARLOS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,224
    I`m probably one of the most qualified to give an opinion on these two amp having lived with both.

I purchased a Yam 2400 last December to replace my Denon 3802 and i was very impressed with the performance, It deffinately had more drive to it and sounded more effortless than the 3802 but the biggest improvement was when playing 2ch music where it was considerabley better, More musical with better stereo imaging.

I also liked the features it offered (auto callibration, lip sync delay, renamable inputs).

The reason i changed was that i had a problem with DTS dropouts that i was unable to cure, It seemed there was a compatability problem with my Denon dvd player, The only other area i could really criticise was that the auto callibration didn`t balance the levels properly and i had to redo them manually with a SP meter.

Luckily i have a very good dealer (Sevenoaks, W-ton) who offered to exchange the amp for something else and knowing that the new Denon was due shortly decided to wait for that.

I picked up my Denon 3805 the begining of April and have been pleasently surprised having not heard it before picking it up, It is very slightly smoother and warmer sounding than the Yamaha yet still manages to have the drive and weight when the soundtrack demands, Musically i think its about on par with the 2400 though again with a touch more warmth and also i find myself using the DTS Neo mode more than the Prologic IIx when listening to non 5.1 encoded material.

I also like that fact that the lip sync delay works independently for each input where as on the 2400 it only work as a whole.

The only area of concern is the remote and the jury is still out on that one.......;)

3. phillfyspoon

phillfyspoon
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +76
    that is the two amps i narrowed down to please can we have more imput one this upgrading very soon from denon 2802 to either of these but which one takes it for sound quality?

4. steve 111

steve 111
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Where you thinking of buying? Found the Denon for £757, but I can get the Yammy for c.£600 from Germany, although heard stock availability maybe a issue.

5. phillfyspoon

phillfyspoon
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +76
    cant trember name but I found it for that price also on price runner I also found a link for the yammy for 750 in the uk

6. dimes

dimes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yamaha 2400.

The Denon 3805 and Yamaha 2400 are amazing receivers for the price. At $200.00 less the Yamaha does everything the Denon can, while providing a better remote and a MIC for the receivers YPAO auto-cal.

When the new RXV line entered the market, Denon had nothing to compare with the RXV lineup, even the 1400 outshined the Denon 3803. Finally came the Denon 3805 to bring their lineup out of the stone age.

Simple, features are the same. 8ohm THD on the Yamaha is 0.04 while the Denon is 0.05, so not far off. Unless you have owned a Denon in the past and loved it... save yourself $200.00 "plus the cost for a MIC" and go with the RXV2400.

---Place a Coke and a Pepsi on the table, price the Coke at 50cents and the Pepsi at $1.00... not many will buy the Pepsi.

-- Kevin

7. dimes

dimes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Oh one more thing.... Yamaha actually labels the digital inputs as a device and number while you have to take a guess with Denon or go through the setup menu. :p

8. chris l.

chris l.

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I beg to differ, I went from a 3802 to the 1400 (backward step to my ears) and within 24 hours onto a 3803.

I used to like the early Yamaha's AV kit, but they all seem to sound bright to me these days. Ok the Denon’s are called rich / woolly by some, but that’s what my ears prefer and as for build quality their is no comparison.

At the end of the day Steve 111, if you can get an audition of them both , I would do so.

Regards,

Chris L.

9. steve 111

steve 111
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Surely you mean the Coke at a $1.00 and the Pepsi at 50 cents

10. smallangryboy

smallangryboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    Does anyone know if the Yamaha carries a phono input like the Denon's do ?

11. jamesrich

jamesrich

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Where at £757?

12. Radiohead

Radiohead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +433
    I demoed 4 amps today - Denon 2805 and 3805, Yamaha 2400 and 1400 = I went for the 1400.

The 3805 and 2400 were ultimately a little too pricey for me, although I did prefer the 2400 overall. For AV there's nothing in it, with the Denon being slightly fuller, whereas the Yamaha was punchier and placed effects more quickly and specifically. Musically I thought both Yamaha's were just ahead with a cleaner and more detailed sound. As I was partnering the amp with B&W's I went for the punchier and detailed.

I could tell very little (if any) difference between the 3805 and 2805, and likewise the 2400 and 1400. We really are talking about tiny, tiny degrees here and I think you could buy andy of these 4 amps and be extremely happy.

13. Dfour

Dfour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
    The 1400 does so I would guess thet the 2400 would also :D

14. bluesfan

bluesfan
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I beg to differ on the 2805 - 3805 question. I found a big difference. Much more control and authority from the 3805. Definitely worth the extra money.

Long-term I think people will find the Yammy too bright and painful to the ears.
    The 3805 is a very good amp. They have pitched the sound just right. Not too warm, not too bright. Lots of control without sounding too tinny or mechanical. I was very impressed particular in stereo which was important to me. I also think the build quality is second to know. Better than HK by a long way, Pioneer by some way (no need for a fan here) and less 'cheap' looking than the yammy. Denon are made in Japan and I'm one of those that still think that means something. I don't accept that made in China is on a par.

Stuff about the menus and mic are silly. You only use these things at the start and then that's it. The remote, well, it seemed okay to me.

15. Radiohead

Radiohead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +433
    For me the Yamahas were better all round than the Denons - I went in with no decisions made and would have bought any of the 4. For you the 3805 was the best and I guess we just prefer a different sound. I would take issue with the idea that the Yamaha is cheap looking. Machined aluminium, lovely feel from the switches and controls and a beautifully damped front flap. I was surprised at just how expensive the Yamahs felt and looked. I agree about Denon also being very well built, and certainly that the HK's felt cheap and looked worse. I did like the 3805 remote though - although that's irrelevant to me as I have a learning remote anyway.

At the end of the day we make our own decisions and live with them - we all naturally defend the choice we made when questioned.

Like I said above - you could buy any of the £800-1000 amps and be very happy with it. None of them are bad products (far from it), it's just about which one is right for you.

16. rickyd

rickyd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    sound and vision £745.00 inc mic and delivery :D
    kinza

17. jamesrich

jamesrich

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3

Do you have a link for Sound and Vision. I can't seem to find their website.

18. jamesrich

jamesrich

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
  19. Radiohead

Radiohead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +433
  20. jamesrich

jamesrich

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Check the link, price is shown at £838

21. Radiohead

Radiohead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +433
    Although that site says £838 delivered....

22. Radiohead

Radiohead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +433
    No idea where the £745 comes from then.

Unless there's some sort of affiliate link somewhere, but that's £100 less than their site is asking.

23. rickyd

rickyd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    Hi
    sound and vision price match, i rang around prc, empire direct, electrosaver etc to get thier best prices, then rang s+vision, who asked what was the best price i had been given, which was empire direct at £739.68 +£10. delivery
    so sound and vision let me have it for £745.00 inc delivery.
    It pays to shop around, and dont be frightened to haggle, they want your money.
    cheers
    kinza. :thumbsup:

24. jamesrich

jamesrich

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Just called Empire Direct. They don't stock that model any other ideas? You sure it was Empire who gave you that price?

:lease:

25. rickyd

rickyd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    Empire direct 08701200731. try again.
    kinza. :)

26. jamesrich

jamesrich

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Thanks that number worked, but they don't have stock and won't be ordering any more in. So I can't price match.
    What was the supplier who did the 3805 for, 757?

27. SurferDude

SurferDude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you don't mind gold then the 3805 can be got for 600 quid imported as posted in another thread. This matches the price from Germany for the Yamaha posted earlier, so its back to a call on personal preference with no price discrepancy.

Specials link below has price, and free freight to the UK.

http://www.worldaudiocentre.com/

SD

28. dvd9

dvd9

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    would the yammy 2400 and evo 3b package make a good marriage?

29. HMHB

HMHB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,943
    I've just noticed that the price of the 3805 has gone up on Avland to £844-95.
    It was £799 about a week ago :confused: