denon 3805 or nad t763

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by dartagnain, Aug 26, 2004.

Tags:
  1. dartagnain

dartagnain

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi to all

in a couple of days I'm going to buy my first receiver. I've been looking at the denon 3805, nad t763 and rotel 1056 (with i excluded when i found out it's price, i really can not take another step)

i have a denon 2900 dvd player i bought specially because of it's audio.

i plan to use this receiver more for audio than watch dvds and can't wait to listen to my sacd's in 5.1

please give me advice. i'm used to pretty good stereo sound (have an old quad pre/power and mission 751 speakers)

sometime in the near future i plan to upgrade my speakers (thinking of Monitor audio S2 or Quad 11L - any note anoyone?)

thanks for the help

2. Falp

Falp
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Rotel 1056, Denon 3805would be my options.

But I would prefer a Marantz 7400 / Denon 2805 + stereo power amp for front channels

3. Ed Selley

Ed Selley
    AVF Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,667
    What about having a scoot 'round for an ex dem or 2nd hand RSX-1055? It isn't world changingly different from the 1056 and should be cheaper. Failing that, the Denon would be my choice as it is very good- especially if you already have a learning remote.

4. dartagnain

dartagnain

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    unfortunetly the rotel is a bit more expensive and i really can not pay the diference. From what i here the the rotel has a very detailed sound, the nad is not as detailed but warmer (I supose similar to my quad 303) but i here nad has been having problems with there receivers and i do not want to spend 1300€ on a receiver with dead channels.

I've also read the the denon, with seems to be a very good receiver, is nothing compared with nad specially in musical terms.

i want a receiver to last me quite a few years and considering my taste in musica (jazz, Classical) and the future speakers the choice has been very difficult.

someone please help.

5. dartagnain

dartagnain

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i haven't taken a look at the previous rotel 1055....i'll check it out now and see if it apeals to me....

6. Falp

Falp
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I heard the 3805 last week.

Fantastic with surround/movies.

Good with music, but I think Rotel/Marantz can be better.

7. leedavies

leedavies

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I bought a 3805 last week. Wonderful piece of kit. Great sound. Remote takes some getting used to though!

8. fordster

fordster
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Have you managed to find anywhere that stocks the Rotel 1056? How much are they selling it for? I quite fancy one of these myself but have never actually found anywhere that stocks them. They always only seem to have the 1067 which is too expensive for me. Depending what you're used to for playing CD's you may be a disappointed with the 2900. It's pretty good as far as DVD players go but no match for a £350+ CD player.

There tends to be a rather mixed reaction to Quad 11L speakers so make sure you have a good listen to them on the equipment you will be using. I have a pair hooked up to a Rotel RA01 and RCD02 and think they're fanastic (and they really look the part too!). Some people think they're over-rated and too light on bass and they really do need a good amplifier to get the best out of them

9. Ed Selley

Ed Selley
    AVF Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,667
    Technosound in Milton Keynes had a 1056 in last time I pottered 'round. The 1056 has lost favour with me mainly because Rotel won't flog me one at landed cost :laugh:.

SR8500 it is then.