Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Denon 3805 or Arcam avr300 with Quad L series

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Blindman, May 9, 2005.

Tags:
  1. Blindman

Blindman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi. We went for a demo of the Denon 3805 and the Arcam avr 300 at the weekend. First tried with Monitor Audio sivers, then, at the last minute, Quad L series. We were very impressed by the L series, but didnt get to finish demoing them properly (baby sitting time ran out!). We could really do with some help as to what they sound good with as we will not get back for another demo for a while.
    Does anyone run either of these amps with these speakers?
    Is the Denon 3805 "good enough"?
    Is there anypoint buying the Arcam avr300 when we will be using a Denon 3910 as the DVD player so will miss out on the extra sound quality of the Arcam DV79?

Also, we were listenig to a REL Quake subwoofer -would the Quad subwoofer be a sensible consideration.

Our room is 18' by 13', and we need the system to sound good at low volumes too

2. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    The Quad sub is light years ahead of the Rel Quake. The Quake would be outclassed by a mile by the other units you're considering for the system. :)

3. NMyTree

NMyTree
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    From my experience Denon's CDDVD players and Receivers are not a good match with the Quad 22L and the 12L.

Personally, I'd give the Arcam a good audition with the L-Sereis and see how it sounds.

YMMV.

4. Pulsar

Pulsar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +332
    Blindman,

I use a Denon 3805 with a pair of Quad 11L's and a DD15 sub and it sounds awesome to me. I shall be setting up my 2nd pair of 11L's for surround duties soon and will buy a centre speaker to finish off the 5.1 setup.

I do have some experience with other setups including Rotel pre-power with monitor audio S1's, Rel Quake (Absolutely s**t I'm affraid), bluesky active speakers and various other bits and this setup sounds better than anything else I have ever owned.

Good luck with your demo's.

Rob

5. phillfyspoon

phillfyspoon
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +76
    denon does have a smooth sound I dont know what quads are like.

6. Harry T2

Harry T2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Can I ask what is your intended use is? Having said that, I would prefer the Denon if movies was the majority use, and the Arcam if music was important.

Also, Marantz / Quad combination is a very satisfying listen (to my ears)

7. krungthep56

krungthep56

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Hi,

I have the Denon 3805 + 3910 + Quad 12's and 11's - No sub at present, I intend to add one when I move to somewhere a bit more neighbour friendly.

To my ears, the sound is very, very impressive and would easily do service for a much larger room than my lounge (6m x 4m).

I originally had the 11L's as front speakers, and subsequently added the 12's which give a much 'beefier' sound: they have now been running for several weeks and seem to have 'opened up'.

The Arcam was my other alternative, but at the end of the day it came down to a question of price, and the Denon was substantially cheaper: I just couldn't justify the additional money for what might be a slight (to my ears) improvement for music, especially since I use the setup for most of the time for movies/TV.

The only advice I can give is to demo demo demo, since your investment is not insubstantial and the system should last you for a good few years.

Whichever system you buy I'm sure it will bring a smile whenever it is in service - enjoy :)

Regds,

KT56

8. Blindman

Blindman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks very much for the help guys. I'll let you know how I get on! :hiya:

9. Kazman

Kazman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +142
    The Quads like a bit of power, so they will work ok with the 3805, but will work even better than the AVR300, how much better is down to debate and the end user, let your ears be the judge :)

I'd also reccomend listening to the Marantz SR8500 with the Quads, you would get the much of the Arcam amplification quality with a rrp price tag closer to the 3805.