Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Denon 3805 no sound till volume at -30

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Neil Fellows, Apr 14, 2005.

Tags:
  1. Neil Fellows

Neil Fellows
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Just had a 3805 installed, installer left and all sounded great. However, had a problem with DVD-Audio playing very quiet and muffled. Pressed a few things, and now everything is very quiet - normal TV viewing volume has to be set at about -30 to get any sound at all. It’s also very ‘wooly’ sounding.

Ok, I know I need to read the manual - but does anyone know what i’ve done?

2. shodan

shodan
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,520
    Check the muting settings on the amp.. Only thing I could think of off the top of my head! And get the installer back!!!

3. Neil Fellows

Neil Fellows
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi there. I've just had a call from the installer - he said this is quite normal for a Denon, and in fact most arcam amps as well. When the installer was there is was extremely loud, but I was not paying attention to the volume setting he had it on. I just kind of expected at least something to start at around -60?

Out of intrest, would you expect -30 to be a 'normal' TV watching volume for say, the news?

I'll check the mute, but I would of thought i'd hear no sound at all?

4. Astaroth

Astaroth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +882
    The mute is actually adjustable so depends what setting it is on.

I have the 2805 (which is slightly less powerful) - normal TV or gaming is arround -55 -> -50 depending on the channel/background noise etc.

For DVD it is a little louder of -45 -> -35 depending on the time of night :D

5. dvdchild

dvdchild

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +441
    i don't think what the installer is correct. I've had mine at -45 on a DTS Soundtrack and it was quite loud. -30 in pro-logic ii or Dolby Digital should be pretty loud and not muffled.

6. Neil Fellows

Neil Fellows
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks guys, i'll take a look tonight. I did not want to turn it up too much as it was sounding a little muffled, but that's probably a little tweeking somewhere. I'll take a look at the mute setting in cas as well. I guess there is nothing wrong it as it was earth-shatteringly loud when the installer left.

7. S H A D O

S H A D O

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,820
    The volume will vary from room to room, speaker to speaker, peoples hearing etc. I tend to have my Denon at around -25db to -40db for Sky depending on what channel I'm on. DVD's are usually watched at anywhere between -15db to -25db but this will vary from disc to disc. The system has been calibrated so 0db is Reference Level. :)

8. shodan

shodan
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,520
    For normal TV viewing (through my pace twin freeview box) I have the volume set at -30db which is quite a comfortable, slightly louder than my normal listening levels. Still have to change the volume for different channels (digital radio through the Pace comes in VERY loud) and different inputs. This really does bug me!!! Oh and the tuner in the 3805 comes in louder than the others too.

9. Neil Fellows

Neil Fellows
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    That's intresting, Jase. I spent all night worrying about a duff amp, and all I have to do is turn it up. I guess a serious bit of tweeking is needed. What really threw me though was the DVD-audio disc I was trying - i've since read on here from doing a search that there is an issue with DVD-A and the 3805 with some disc's causing a big drop in volume, so that didnt help either. I just need to get it sounding a bit cleaner - it sounded a bit strained to me, and been new to the 3805, i didn't realise you had to turn the volume up so damn far just to hear something.

10. S H A D O

S H A D O

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,820
    You can adjust the Channel Levels on the EXT Inputs of the Denon (as well as upping the Subwoofer Level for that input in the main Setup Menu). In conjunction with the DVD players channel level adjustments you should be able to attain the same sort of volume levels for DVD Audio as other sources.

11. Neil Fellows

Neil Fellows
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks Jase, i'll give that a try tonight.

I really apreciate all your help here guys, thanks a bundle. Hopefully i'll be able to get it set up right over the next few days. I've also read from other searching on here about setting the equaliser to Front can help matters somewhat with volume, so i'll give it a bash.

12. Bristol Pete

Bristol Pete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +309
    My 2805 sounded infinately better set to front. Quite a difference and it elevated the amp from good to great. Thus, do try it out.

Pete.

13. Neil Fellows

Neil Fellows
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks Pete, i'll try it over the weekend and report back. I tried with the volume at about -20 last night for a dvd and cd, and have to say that I was blown away.
    There was no mute set after all. I know this sounds stupid, but I didnt really want to turn it up to this level before i'd spoke to you guys as I was sure there must be something wrong with it as hardly any sound was coming out untill it reached this level. My NAD amp was the complete opposite, super sensitive.

14. Ian182

Ian182

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +99
    Pete (or anybody !),

I've got a 2805 as well..........what difference does setting the equaliser to front make, and what does it entail ?

Always keen to learn :)

Ian.

15. Bristol Pete

Bristol Pete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +309
    Well, not sure what it means on paper, however, it gives the front stereo image and the surround sound far more oomph and punch, more of everything really, bass etc and made a big difference to my opinion of Denon amps.

In effect I suspect that it calibrates all of your speakers to the settings of the front speakers.

Pete :)