1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Denon 3805 Multizone problem - do I neeed an extra AMP?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Neil Fellows, Jun 13, 2005.

Tags:
  1. Neil Fellows

Neil Fellows
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi there. I currently run a Denon 3805 with a 5.1 setup in one room. I’ve wired up x2 stereo speakers in another room to the ‘Surround Back Zone2/Zone3’ inputs, but now have no idea how to get sound out of them, despite much manual reading and button prodding.

Basically, I don’t want to get another amp for the other room (assume I don't need one?) I just want to use the one amp. Has anyone done this, and if so what setting do I need put the amp on?

Cheers

2. Neil Fellows

Neil Fellows
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Please.......! I've spent 2 hours last night trying to get this to work. I'm sure I followed the manual exactly. Anyone any ideas?

3. Astaroth

Astaroth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    Whilst I have not played with multi room on my own AVR the concept is that you do not need to have a second amp as you are connecting speakers directly to a speaker level connection.

I would suggest checking the obvious first
    1) You havent turned the surround back on in zone 1
    2) you have turned zone 2 on
    3) You have selected a source for zone 2 to be playing

4. Neil Fellows

Neil Fellows
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks Astaroth, i'lll give those a try. I'll take a look tonight and report back. I had a play with the surround back settings a little, but I might of missed what you mentioned. It was late and I wasn't in the best of moods with it all....!

Thanks again.

5. Wild Rumpus

Wild Rumpus
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    The manual is a touch confusing, but you use Zone 3 for the second room. (Zone 2 needs an amplifier). You need to set this up in the configuration (I can't remember how, but I got it to work so it can't be that difficult :) )
    You need to switch on Zone 3 from the remote - like a seperate piece of equipment, then you can select inputs, set the volume etc using the remote.

6. Neil Fellows

Neil Fellows
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I’m glad it’s not just me who thinks the manual is confusing! I have to say that it’s not particularly intuitive.... or it could be just me. Anyway, thanks for the info Rumpus. I didn’t realise that Zone 3 is the one to use for this purpose.

Speaking out loud here, (and sounding really thick) but can the Amp be playing a DVD in one room while at the same time play a 2 channel CD in Zone 3? Or do I need to turn off Zone 1/2 to hear anything from Zone 3? Or does it not matter?

7. Astaroth

Astaroth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    The idea is that the different zones can listen to different sources at the same time

8. Neil Fellows

Neil Fellows
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    okey dokey, thanks for the info. I'll try again tonight and report back.

Thanks for info guys, much apreciated.

9. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +829
    I have a sneaky feeling that you can only have an analogue source outputting to the 2nd Zone. The amp can't decode two digital sources at the same time.

10. Neil Fellows

Neil Fellows
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    ....please don't tell me that! That would make the whole concept of multizone pointless, wouldnt it?

11. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +829
    The manual isn't overly clear but does mention that digital signals are not output from the Zone 2 and Zone 3 audio outputs.

I assume you've assigned the Surround Back Power Amps to Zone 2? This should automatically set the Zone 2 Volume Level to Variable.

12. Neil Fellows

Neil Fellows
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I thought it was just video signals that were not output when using digital? Damn that manual!

13. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +829
    Bit confusing really. Can you try an analogue source and see what happens?

14. Neil Fellows

Neil Fellows
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I was just thinking about that, but the trouble is - I think everything I have is digital, either through an optical cable or digital coaxal. I've had a quick play with assigning power amps to Zone 2 or 3, but it didnt seem to make any difference. On the power Amp assign menu, and correct me if i'm wrong here, you have three pics on screen, one with a 5.1 'room' example, and x2 more with just x2 speakers on (for Zone 2 and 3). Using the remote if I select, say, zone 2, you can hear the amp 'click' - I guess this is the switching of the power amp happening?

15. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +829
    Yes. You should have those options in the Power Amp Assignment Menu. For a quick test all you need is a couple of phono leads running from your DVD player or SkyBox to see if you get sound. Either unplug the digital cables or manually switch the amp to Analogue as it will take a digital signal as priority over an analogue signal.

16. Neil Fellows

Neil Fellows
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Okay - i'll give that a try. Bummer is, the 3805 is in a rack inside a cuboard that is extremely difficult to get to. So I really wanted to try and sort this out without getting the thing back out again. But i'll give it a try and see what happens. If this analogue issue is true, then does it mean I have to use a CD player with phono plugs instead of optical to listen to music in Zone 2/3?. Sorry, i'll stop asking questions in a bit...!

17. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +829
    Yes. If that's the case you will be limited to using a player's analogue outs and a pair of phono cables for Multizone.

18. Neil Fellows

Neil Fellows
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Okay Jase, thanks for the info. I think my DVD player has an analogue phono output on it, so i'll give it a try and report back.

Another evening of beer drinking, swearing, and throwing the manual accross the room...

19. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +829
    Just one more thing. Have you tried adjusting the volume of Zone 2/3? Just in case it's something daft like it being on really low or off. The default setting could be OFF.

20. SimonO

SimonO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +64
    You're right Jase, it will definately only output an analogue source to Zone 2/3, my 3803 is exactly the same...

21. Neil H Fellows

Neil H Fellows

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Right then, I'm here trying it at the moment. I can not get to the back of the 3805 at present (too much furniture to shift) so i've done a sneaky and plugged a playstation into the V.AUX port's on the front, and tried playing a CD through it. The CD starts playing through the main Zone 1 speakers if I switch to V.Aux, so that works fine. The surround back speakers are set to zone 3. The volume is up (I think) yet when I select Zone 3, and set the source to V.Aux, I hear nothing?

22. spl23

spl23

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +384
    It took me ages to get Zone 2 working on my 2805. You need to turn up the volume for the remote zones - it is at -infinity by default. On the 2805 remote, you can select Zone 2 as a source, and once that is set, the volume buttons adjust the Zone 2 volume rather than the master volume. This is not documented anywhere in the (frankly useless) manual.

And other posters are correct - you can't output a digital source to Zone 2. This is understandable as the thing only has one set of DACs in it - what is *really* annoying is that you can't even listen to the same digital source as you are listening to in Zone 1 (which wouldn't require a second DAC). This is a *real* pain, and, combined with the volume control issue, resulted in me just using the B speaker terminals for the other room.

You can bodge a digital signal to the other room by using a phono lead between the main preamp outputs and any analogue input - that then sends what you are currently listening to in Zone 1 to an input that you can select as the Zone 2 source. You need to use a phono lead with no ground, otherwise you get a vicious earth loop, and you need to be careful not to set the Zone 1 input to the one you are using to loop back into, or you could get a really interesting burst of feedback - I accept no responsibility if you try this and blow your speakers / amp!

23. Neil H Fellows

Neil H Fellows

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    THATS IT!!!! How stupid do I feel now. You were right about the volume set at -infinity as a default for Zone3. And as you mention, this is not documented anywhere in the manual. And it's not exactly forward coming in it's explanation of analogue sources either.

Thank to everyone who helped with this, this forum really has stopped me jumping under a train with frustration. And sorry to Astaroth who mentioned the volume right at the start of this thread... :oops:

Still, I have learnt a valuable lession regarding the analogue only source, so it's changed my plans on buying a CD player.

Thanks again guys for all your help, its really apreciated. :thumbsup:

24. DaveidA

DaveidA
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    A connected question (I think).....
    I'm considering buying a Denon AVC-A11XV or a 3806 (which my local dealer tells me is the local equivalent of the 4806-although I can't confirm this).

On my existing Yamaha amp I can record audio from one set top box via optical to a Creative Nomad, which then converts on the fly to mp3. I can do that irrespective of what I'm listening to and watching on the main speakers/monitor.

I'm also looking at an Archos AV700 which I would want to record to through an analogue link from another a/v source-maybe simultaneously.

How much of that, if any, would the Denon manage? I've looked at the manuals on-line, but they are a touch confusing, to say the least, and my local dealer is of no use at all.

25. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +829
    The A11XV is the Euro version of the 4806. The 3806 is the replacement model for the 3805. No official details about it have been released by Denon as yet.

26. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +829
    The A11XV has several Optical outputs. It's also possible to play one source whilst recording another. Page 40 of the manual covers this. It also has standard analogue outputs that are used to record as well.

27. DaveidA

DaveidA
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Great-thanks. All is now reasonably clear! It looks as if watch one source, record one more (in analogue or down mixed digital) is the limit-but I can live with that.